mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Upgrading hubs... to which?

So I'm looking into upgrading my hubs, currently running Deore.

Shimano XT's seem to be a nice deal considering the price, although not sure if its just the same as a Deore but lighter..

Then you have Hope Hubs which are not as expensive as DT or Chris King.

What would you suggest? I've heard the term "Hope they work" for Hope hubs, how true is this?

What about POE listings for the hubs, where can I see this?

Cheers and thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    There is a thread here in WHeels and Tires that has an online document some members have listed hub details..sorry you will have to search..shouldn't be pass the second page.

The first question I had to ask myself = do I want loose ball or sealed bearing type of hub?
    Second was POE
    Third was cost$

I choose to go with bikehubstore dot com MTB hubs (Bitex Taiwan made)
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Chris Bling
    Hands down, the Hopes are far superior to XT hubs. You don't have to 'Hope' about them working, they just keep on keepin on.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    I wouldn't touch the current crop (ie M775 or M785) XT hubs at all, WAY too many reports of freehub and axle failures and individual replacement parts almost non-existent. The SLX hubs on the other hand have been solid IME, and the 32 poe freehub body has mostly been reliable. The M529 come in 6 bolt while the M629/665/675 come in centerlock.

I have personally had good luck with the Novatec cartridge bearing hubs (I have the D811 and 882 front and rear hubs myself) and they can be found pretty cheap on E-Bay or AliExpress.com as well as parts on Dbopcycling.com.

Heard lots of good things about the Bitex hubs (labeled MTB) on the Bike Hub Store website as well but have never personally run them.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    I'm happily rolling on hope pro2 evo 40 poe hubs. I've only put a few hundred miles on them so fare but they haven't given me any trouble at all.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Are the Hadley's noticeably better than new hope Poe hubs? Deciding if hadley are worth the extra cost.
    Life's too short to be soft

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    love my chris king hubs.... pricey, but you get what you pay for. I'll have these hubs the rest of my life most likely...
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2011 View Post
    Are the Hadley's noticeably better than new hope Poe hubs? Deciding if hadley are worth the extra cost.
    I've had great luck with Hopes, I have 2 sets of the original Pro 2 Evo hubs and have had no issues with them whatsoever. The fact that you can change swap them to suit really any axle configuration either front or rear makes them a great upgrade over a typical "stock" hubset. However, I recently upgraded to a new wheelset and decided to bite the bullet and pick up a set of Hadleys for the new build and can honestly say that, at least for me, they are worth the added expense. The fit and finish are outstanding. You know you are holding a quality piece as soon as you take them out of the box... Once you actually get to hold them, that is. As they can be a little difficult to track down in a timely manner if you are looking for a popular color/axle configuration.
    While the POE difference is noticeable compared to my original 24 POE Pro 2's the biggest and most surprising difference that I noticed is how much less drag they have over the Hopes, they roll forever and they feel like they pick up speed a good bit faster while coasting than the Hopes do. You really can't go wrong with upgrading to either of the two brands but if your budget can stretch to include a high end hub like Hadley, King, etc. you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    I would throw in DT Swiss hubs also -- 240 or 340 depending on how much you want to spend. They also have interchangeable axle.

I went with BHS also. The ones I got they have replaced with a new model that has interchangeable axle.

mtbr member
    I've been happy with my Industry9 hub's. Planning to have them around for a long time. Figured I'd spend money on good hub and then just reuse them when it comes time for new rim's. They have been flawless so far.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's