mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Tyres for wet, uneven surfaces - Roads in Bombay, India

Hello world,

Firstly, a big shout out from Mumbai, India. I've been sneakily trawling this forum for some time now, this is quite an informative forum.

But, there isn't much information when it comes to choosing tires for riding on roads which look like this:

Name:  mumbai_rains_potholes_295.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  13.4 KB

and this:

Name:  potholes.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  63.2 KB

and sometimes, this:

Name:  Cycle.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  54.8 KB

The third picture's a bit of an exaggeration really, but I have to be careful to pack in a snorkel, just in case.

I'm currently running Geax Street Runners (semi-slicks) 26 X 1.6 for both the front and rear, and these are really, really zippy. However, these aren't the best tires for the wet and the loose, so I'm looking to get new ones for the monsoon.

I'd prefer tires that are thicker, have a larger contact patch on the road, and have a compound that's somewhat grippy under wet conditions. Also, please bear in mind that bike shops here only stock the most popular brand of tires (Schwalbe, Continental, Kenda, Bontrager etc.)

Currently, I'm leaning towards the Schwalbe Big Apples ( 26 X 2.0/2.15), which I can run at low pressure, and which'll at-least provide cushioning from these ginormous potholes. There's going to be loose rocks and gravel all over the road, so that's another +1 for BA's for their ability to roll over almost anything.

Any suggestions regarding the BAs -
    2.0 vs 2.15 vs 2.35
    Enduro vs Schwalbe Basic Compund (SBC)

Any other tires that I should be looking at ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'd go for 2.35 big apples if they fit. If not, Marathon Supreme 2.0 are alot lighter and according to Schwalbe, theyr compound should have better wet grip. I have both in 29er size. Supremes are maybe a better tire, but I prefer the volume of the Apples on rough surfaces.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by anzi View Post
    I'd go for 2.35 big apples if they fit.
    The Aspect 660 comes with a pair of Impac Ridgepac 26 X 2.25, so it seems like fitting 2.35s shouldn't be much of a strech.

Slower But Faster
    Continental Town and Country could be worth looking at too.

Continental Cycle Tyres UK

Workin for the weekend!
    Does Specialized still make the Hemisphere tire? I had a set a few years back and they were fantastic for ruff roads and paved surfaces... Armadillo casing was tough too!
    Todd

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have been running Maxxis WormDrive tires (26 x 1.9, 580g) for a few years now on a combination of asphalt and gravel roads. Maxxis calls them semi-slick offroad tires so they should be able to handle your roads. The centre patch is fairly smooth so the rolling resistance is low but they have an aggressive tread on the edges to handle a bit of loose as well. I'm not sure about availability, though. WORMDRIVE | Maxxis UK

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Continental Town and Country could be worth looking at too.

Continental Cycle Tyres UK
    I could only find the Continental Race King and Mountain King here, and I figured the contact patch area would still be lesser than the BAs.

I ended up getting the BAs 26 X 2.0; I'll try them before upgrading to 2.35s, if I feel the need to.

mtbr member

Tyres for wet, uneven surfaces - Roads in Bombay, India

Quote Originally Posted by OhJimi View Post
    I could only find the Continental Race King and Mountain King here, and I figured the contact patch area would still be lesser than the BAs.

I ended up getting the BAs 26 X 2.0; I'll try them before upgrading to 2.35s, if I feel the need to.
    I run race king 2.2" for commuting. They have 1300 km on them and are still like new.

They are rated for pavement and hardpack, grippy, fast, and soft over bumps bit i see you already got tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    +1 for Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo. I bought a set (1.95) a few years back for commuting on my old stumpy and haven't got a flat yet, they rip on street+other stuff and seem to not wear out with >> 1000 km use. Back when I bought these a few people said they would be a good choice for riding across the country and I agree. The tread now looks a bit fancier than when I got mine but it's the same general idea, check them out for sure. I run them at high pressure (70 PSI) for faster pavement rolling.

For pure street these are a bit faster (and more narrow like a road bike tire) with less control in the dirt:
    Slick | WTB
    But they stand up pretty tall (for a ~road tire) and could take the road shown in your 2nd pic but probably not much worse. Mine have anti-flat casings.

Also props to Continental Town & Country, I have a set on my GF's bike and they are perfect for... Town & Country.

I'm working late with a guy from Jaipur. He says hello to Mumbai.