mtbr member
    May 2013

Tyre guidance (XC/Trail)

Folks, i need to replace my tyres and have little idea what to replace to.

I ride mainly XC/Trail with some aggressive singles riding but majority is not very aggressive and for distance.

Conditions are primarily dry, stones and sometimes rocky.

I am starting to train for marathon rides so need an easy rolling tyre and thus as on now, am planning to stay at 2.2 width.

As i don't think my rims are natively tubeless ready, i'm planning on sticking with damn tubes for now.

I've been recommended Geax Saguaro by my local shop.

All advice welcome.

Thanks

Mike

My setup is below:
    • 2013 Special Edition Rocky Mountain Element 950
    • FORM™ 7005 Series Custom Hydroformed Alloy
    • Fox 32 Float 29 120 CTD
    • Fox Float CTD Custom Race Valved
    • Shimano XT Direct Mount 10spd
    • Shimano SLX E Mount 3x10spd
    • Shimano SLX Rapid Fire 3x10spd
    • Shimano M552 170-175mm 42/32/24T 3x10spd
    • Shimano M505 Hydraulic Disc 180mm 180 mm | 180
    • Wheeltech Inferno 23 by Sun Rims
    • Shimano SLX 15mm Axle
    • Shimano SLX 12 x 142mm E Thru
    • Continental Folding F: X King 29" x 2.2" / R: Race King 29" x 2.2"
    • Rocky Mountain L7 7° x 70-100m
    • Rocky Mountain Flat Wide Ř31.8mm x 700mm x 9° Sweep
    • Rocky Mountain XC 30.9mm x 400mm
    • Rocky Mountain XC

Never trust a fart
    If the Inferno's say TCS on the sidewall, then they are tubeless. And going tubeless would probably be one of the best upgrades you can go with. And tire pressure will play a huge roll in how the bike performs, no matter what the tire is.

Do you like your current tire setup? If so, why not just stick with that tire?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    If the Inferno's say TCS on the sidewall, then they are tubeless. And going tubeless would probably be one of the best upgrades you can go with. And tire pressure will play a huge roll in how the bike performs, no matter what the tire is.

Do you like your current tire setup? If so, why not just stick with that tire?
    Thanks, i'll check tomorrow re "TCS". When i was riding on really aggressive singles, i felt the tyres were too narrow but now that i'm migrating to longer more chilled rides, i think width is ok. That said, i really don't like their grip, or lack thereof...

No good in rock gardens..
    Ardent front / Ikon rear is not a bad combo for that sort of mixed terrain and offers good volume.

I'm currently rolling 2.0 Saguaro's in 26" and they have been good on hardpack and moderately loose terrain (loose soil, pebbly topcoat and moderately rocky trails). The only weaknesses I've noticed is for the rear to break loose suddenly on really loose climbs and the front to dig in and tuck on spots where there's a deep buildup of loose soil or gravel. Not surprising for a fast 2.0 tyre. They do roll really well and if I could have got 2.2's I would have I rate them.

FYI, I'm 220lb kitted up and on a 4" travel dually.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for your input all...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    On a whim i bought Specialized Captain Control and stayed with 2.2. I'll hopefully get some rides done over this weekend and report my findings.

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Ardent front / Ikon rear is not a bad combo for that sort of mixed terrain and offers good volume.

I'm currently rolling 2.0 Saguaro's in 26" and they have been good on hardpack and moderately loose terrain (loose soil, pebbly topcoat and moderately rocky trails). The only weaknesses I've noticed is for the rear to break loose suddenly on really loose climbs and the front to dig in and tuck on spots where there's a deep buildup of loose soil or gravel. Not surprising for a fast 2.0 tyre. They do roll really well and if I could have got 2.2's I would have I rate them.

FYI, I'm 220lb kitted up and on a 4" travel dually.
    Ardent front and Ikon rear is a popular combination. There is also the (somewhat) new Ardent Race which isn't available in near as many sizes as the Ardent or Ikon (yet?), but I think it's a fantastic rear tire.

I'm using a 26x2.2 on Blur TR (6" fork, 5" rear travel). I haven't tried it on the front yet, but it's nearly as fast as my previous rear tire (Michelin Wild Racer Advanced 26x2.25), and has a lot more climbing and braking traction. Cornering is predictable, good transition and strong grip at the limit. The Ardent Race 2.2 has decent volume but isn't a huge 2.2.

I have also used the Geax Saguaro and I didn't like the cornering. They have OK grip but the transition is not confidence inspiring and they aren't very easy to drift - you either have grip and everything is cool, or they let go abruptly and you're on the ground.