mtbr member

Tune - ZTR Olympic - CXRAY w/ pics

Just finished up a very nice set of race wheels for a customer using the King/Kong hubs from Tune, these were laced to Stan's ZTR Olympic rims with Sapim CXRay spokes. Weight for the hubs came in at 120 grams for the front and a scant 240 grams for the rear w/ aluminum freehub. There is also a titanium freehub option for the bigger/stronger riders, weight for the ti version comes to 300 grams for the rear. Total weight for the set .... 1365 grams !

The hubs are beautifully crafted...you can see and read more here: http://www.tune.de/tune_gb/index.php...=3&typ=1&nr=12

later, Chad
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    quite a sick set of wheels.

Faller - Expert Class
    Sure, rub it in and make me wish I went with the black spokes too!

Maybe next time!

That is definitely a sweet setup!

2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Looking good Chad!! And only 1365 grams… yeowch!

Dave.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    Just finished up a very nice set of race wheels for a customer using the King/Kong hubs from Tune, these were laced to Stan's ZTR Olympic rims with Sapim CXRay spokes. Weight for the hubs came in at 120 grams for the front and a scant 240 grams for the rear w/ aluminum freehub. There is also a titanium freehub option for the bigger/stronger riders, weight for the ti version comes to 300 grams for the rear. Total weight for the set .... 1365 grams !

The hubs are beautifully crafted...you can see and read more here: http://www.tune.de/tune_gb/index.php...=3&typ=1&nr=12

later, Chad
    Chad,
    I'm confused I thought the Ti version "superscharf" was Ti pawls and Rachets and still used the alum freebody and was the trick lighter one@ ~ 205 grams or is their 3 models ?? help me out thanks Spin Cycle !

mtbr member
    Jeez Chad- that is a special looking wheelset...

*looks at bank balance*
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb

later, Chad
    Dude....what are you doing?! How dare you take away from all the I9 wheel posts with these uber bad boys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin Cycle
    Chad,
    I'm confused I thought the Ti version "superscharf" was Ti pawls and Rachets and still used the alum freebody and was the trick lighter one@ ~ 205 grams or is their 3 models ?? help me out thanks Spin Cycle !

Spin.......the superscharf model is essentially an upgrade to either version of the Kong rear hub (ti, or alum), the upgrade consists of a carbon axle and ceramic bearings. These upgrades reduce the weight of the standard aluminum rear hub from 225 grams down to 205 grams at a cost of about $200 extra (yeeeooowwccchhh !!), bringing the price of the rear hub up to $500. From everything i've heard.....don't even think about this upgrade on a mtb, it's not durable enough and you'll probably break the axle.

The standard aluminum model uses an aluminum freehub shell, titanium driver ring, case hardened ratchets, and brass springs. If you're a big and/or strong type rider than it's very important to consider the upgrade to the titanium model that uses a ti freehub body (and the same internal mechanisms as the al. version) for two different reasons. Number one is the fact that the cassette won't bite into the titanium body, and the other reason is that the ti body will resist wear inside of the bore holes that actually house the ratchets. On the alum. version the ratchets will eventually enlarge the holes enough that you won't recieve proper engaement....this happens from pedal enduced torque, and over time the aluminum wears. My weight for the titanium version was incorrectly listed above...the actual ti weight comes to 244 grams. Quite possibly one of the best ratios for strength/weight.

i'm impressed with the Tune hubs so far, and i've been told by the distributor that they've yet to see a hubshell or rear aluminum axle break. But, just with any other new product....time will tell.

later, Chad

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice build!

I have built many pairs with the Tune road hubs and a few with the disc hubs and they are great hubs for being so light. I am building this pair with cx-rays and 340 gram magnesium disc rims with matching gold nipples of coarse. This pair has the optional ti freehub body.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligero
    Nice build!

I have built many pairs with the Tune road hubs and a few with the disc hubs and they are great hubs for being so light. I am building this pair with cx-rays and 340 gram magnesium disc rims with matching gold nipples of coarse. This pair has the optional ti freehub body.

damn, allotta bling being thrown around these forums these days...very nice

Faller - Expert Class
    LOL, that's just what I was thinking!! I've already been chatting it up with Chad about my NEXT wheelset.....keep in mind that mine just arrived last Thursday, and I haven't even ridden them yet!

Bling is good.
    2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

Members who have read this thread: 0