Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tubeless. Worth it for the non-racer?

13K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  Manning 
#1 ·
Is it really worth the expense for the minimum weight loss to go tubeless? Sounds like a fun new thing to try but why? Please help me understand since the 100 grams lost really won't be noticed on my weekend warrior riding...I don't think.

#2 ·
Most people who ride tubeless do it for the flat protection over any weight loss. In fact full UST setups are usually heavier than equivalent tires and tubes.

I have not had a single pinch flat or puncture flat running tubeless over the years (and only a few burp flats, usually from running converted tires or rims).

#3 ·
its not about the weight all though you can build up a lighter wheelset with top end wheels and tires.I have been using tubeless since 2004, advantages are excellent flat protection if used with sealant, running lower tire pressures for increased traction, longer tire wear, a very safe and reliable interface between tire and rim.I understand downhill racers will use a tubeless setup for really harsh courses.I have had only two flats since 2004...swear to God.once you air down tubeless to 29 PSI and have your bike easily roll over obstacles like a Jeep you will be pleased.Some tubeless tires are as light as 540 grams,I spend more time riding then ****ing around with tubes.Would :skep:you run tubes on your car tires.check out the difference between wheels and tires designed to be run tubeless and tubeless conversion with conventional rims and tires;)

#6 ·
Owning 3 kids, a business and being a trail steward turned me into a weekend warrior. Here's why weekend warriors should have them. Done right you have more traction and more reliability. I just spent the past summer riding same trails at 28 psi that used to get me pinch flats with same size tires at 35 - 38 psi. If I had more rolling resistance it didn't slow the ride down because I could corner faster and get gobs of traction where I used to spin the wheel.

Please take my advice to do this with tires called tubeless ready or UST if you want the better reliability that's advertised or stated.

#11 ·
If all you are looking for is weight loss then yeah, it ain't worth it. Mostly because if everything remains the same, wheels and tires, you likely won't see 100g of weight loss. Depending on the method of going tubeless, it's often pretty much a wash weight wise. But if you were to save 100g a wheel, you would notice it. 1/4 lb of rotational weight reduction is a noticeable amount.

However, the biggest advantage of going tubeless is pinch and puncture flat protection. As a side benefit you may be able to run lower pressures for better traction. But that depends on a lot of variables, rider weight, riding style, tubeless set up, tire volume and construction, etc.

I used to spend more on tubes in year (easily $100+ I live in "thorn country"), and that included patching punctured tubes until they needed to be replaced, than the paltry $25 I spend now on a bottle of sealant that will last me nearly 2 seasons. In the 5 years I've been running tubeless I've had one puncture flat (large screw) that the wouldn't seal up, and a couple of burps that were my fault, experimenting with pressures.

It certainly can be worth it. It just depends on you. If you rarely flat and are happy with your current set up, it may not be though. But I will say that most tires will feel different and ride better set up tubeless, even if you have to run the same pressures in them that you would tubed.

Anyway, your call. It can be a tad more expensive to set up initially, but it can save you money in the long run. And it can increase the performance of your tires as well.

Good Dirt

#14 ·
For me I have 2 bikes one tubeless I never ride and one non tubeless I ride all the time, my fear is more the upkeep I hear from some that the sealant can dry up over time thus needing to take apart and redo them again, granted you might not get many flats but, I don't know I am on the fence about it all the cost to go tubeless for some is just not worth it.

#17 ·
I rode the last 2 years no issue's on tubes. Im rough on my stuff and ride some pretty rutty trails. I also ride what's called shale pits. Very sharp rocks. Never an issue.
I run 30-35psi no problems. For me, I don't like running psi too low because of the squishy tire feel. Even if it means more traction, I just dont like it. It's much less responsive than slightly higher pressure.
So for me, I'll prob never run tubless. it's not worth the hassle and expense. I see most tubless guys carrying around a spare tube, so it's definately a heavier way to go versus a super light patch kit. Now, if your in a very thorny area, then go for tubeless. You'll be better off and the initial hassle's of setting up the tubless will far outweigh the potential future one's with tubes.

*I didnt realize how old this thread was when it got bumped..:eekster:

#27 ·
I rode the last 2 years no issue's on tubes. Im rough on my stuff and ride some pretty rutty trails. I also ride what's called shale pits. Very sharp rocks. Never an issue.
I run 30-35psi no problems. For me, I don't like running psi too low because of the squishy tire feel. Even if it means more traction, I just dont like it. It's much less responsive than slightly higher pressure.
So for me, I'll prob never run tubless. it's not worth the hassle and expense. ... Now, if your in a very thorny area, then go for tubeless.
^2. Tried tubeless, was such a hassle getting the bead to seat that I gave up. I can run pressures as low as I want with tubes, 20-25psi, and don't ride in thorny areas, so why run tubeless? Admittedly, I do throw a little bit of sealant in the tubes, not two scoops worth, more like a syringe worth. I ride several times a week, almost never gets flats, one in the last year, so for me there are no benefits.

Decide for yourself before you jump on the bandwagon.

#19 ·
tubeless is totally worth it if you have pinch flat issues or sharp objects on trails. I ride in deserts terrain now, and feel nervous when using tubes. However, when I lived on the East Coast (dirt, roots some rocks), as long as I ran enough pressure (depends on tire size and other factors), tubes were a better choice, as tire maintenance was not as important (desert terrain chews up your tires big time compared to east coast riding where tires last much longer).

#21 ·
Tubeless tires have significantly better rolling performance than an otherwise identical tire/tube combo. With less rubber to deform and no friction between the tube and tire, the tubeless setup rolls faster and has better bump sensitivity. On top of that, it allows you to run lower pressures, which also helps rolling resistance when off road.

Flat protection, weight and traction have been mentioned above already, but I though I'd cover that. Easily the best performance-per-dollar ratio of any upgrade you can make on a bike.

#24 ·
For me I had a noticeable weight savings, only cause entry bikes come with thick heavy tubes, 100g I doubt but I notice it just in picking the wheels up.

I did it cause of thorns. Tired of fixing a flat trailside. But expense, not so much. Same tires, rims are tubeless compatible. $2 roll of gorilla tape (easier for first time trying tubeless), made a home brew via recipe from brew thread, $15 for valve stems and done. No fancy kits or anything, use a measuring cup to pour sealant, have air compressor so its all gravy surprisingly. Got my first ride and loved it. Being my tires I found my rear needed a few extra psi at my weight but still better ride quality imo.

And im more a weekend warrior myself. Work, kids etc, riding time is scheduled, so no time wasting on the ride.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Yes, yes and yes...and just do it. LOL I hesitated way too long myself.

First off, I agree with every benefit listed, but to discount the weight loss is unfair. Guys will blow hundreds to save 100 grams on their latest carbon part. To that point, I just nocked 9-10 oz off of my new Devinci Troy with the tubeless conversion. The wheelset is heavy, but I am not affording a new one till it breaks. On the flip side, the tubes were 220 g each and I took out the heavy nylon rim strip. I added in one rotation of stans tape and a scoop and a half of sealant to each tire. Working perfectly. 9-10 oz's off of a bike for less than $40 is a pretty decent weight loss value. Just didn't want this point to get lost for anyone questioning weight loss as a benefit.

#30 ·
....and not all rim/tire combos are so easy to set up tubeless. I had one combo where I was this close >< to putting a tube in and calling it done, then it sealed up. Probably took 2 hours of dinking around over a period of three days to get it to work at all. That tire still drools a bit.

I'd tend to agree, tubless is definitely not a game changing innovation if you don't have a problem with thorns, don't pinch flat, and can run the pressures that you want. Why bother with the extra expense, mess, and hassle?

Reactions: kiloman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.