mtbr member
    May 2012

Tubeless wheel not sealing. Rim strip the problem?

My wheels come with a tubeless rim strip.
    They are Mavic Crossmax with a UST rim and rim strip, but with spoke holes through the rim. I've run them with tubes for awhile, and am switching to tubeless.

I'm trying to seat them using Stan's sealant, and it's not working. The rim strip looks bent in some places. Could this be causing the tire to not seal?

Normal looking rim strip.

Bent looking rim strip.

If so, can it be bent back into place or should it be replaced? Can I rip out this rim strip and use the ghetto tubeless method of Gorilla tape for a rim strip?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by when View Post
    My wheels come with a tubeless rim strip.
    They are Mavic Crossmax with a UST rim and rim strip, but with spoke holes through the rim. I've run them with tubes for awhile, and am switching to tubeless.

I'm trying to seat them using Stan's sealant, and it's not working. The rim strip looks bent in some places. Could this be causing the tire to not seal?

Normal looking rim strip.

Bent looking rim strip.

If so, can it be bent back into place or should it be replaced? Can I rip out this rim strip and use the ghetto tubeless method of Gorilla tape for a rim strip?
    Replace the rim strip with a new Mavic strip. Use a UST/tubeless ready tire.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    you can take a sponge and soap water and apply to the wheel when sealed. If you see air bubbling out of the spokes, its prob your rim strip. The soap water will let you know where its leaking. dishwash soap works well.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by crclawn View Post
    you can take a sponge and soap water and apply to the wheel when sealed. If you see air bubbling out of the spokes, its prob your rim strip. The soap water will let you know where its leaking. dishwash soap works well.
    It is coming out everywhere - out the spoke holes and out of the rim.

I can't find a replacement Mavic UST rim strip that looks like mine anywhere. Are the 2 ridges in the center completely necessary?

mtbr member
    Note: I don't have any experince with mavic rims and don't want to tell you somethin wrong, but I have used 1" gorilla tape on several occasions on several different rims and never had a problem with it. You can get the 1" gorilla tape at wal mart for like $3 bucks. I would give it a try. Make sure you overlap the valve hole by a couple of inches and don't puncture the tape with a tire lever over a spoke hole, you will have a leak. A scrape from a tire lever where it on the rim channel is normally not a problem, just don't tear the tape over the nipple hole, if you do, redo it, it will most def leak. Dont put any sealeant in until you soap it again and see that there is no air coming from the spokes. You might see some coming from the sidewall where it meets the tire meets the rim. The sealeant will seal that. When you are happy that its not leaking from the spoke holes, then add the sealeant. If you see a little air coming from your valve tighten it a little, but that will normally go away once the sealeant works it way in there. Don't get frustrated, its a learning curve, but once you get it, its pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Also, as shiggy said, good idea to run a UST/tubeless ready tire. Seals easier. I run as tick of a sidewall as I can get. Thin wall tubless sidewall will be slashed in about 10 min where I ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The tire is UST. I will try the gorilla tape method as I can't find a Mavic rim strip anywhere.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by when View Post
    The tire is UST. I will try the gorilla tape method as I can't find a Mavic rim strip anywhere.
    Expect failure without the UST rim strip. The stock rim strip is fairly thick and the bead seat diameter changes greatly without it in place, in addition to the overall bead seat shape changing.
    Before trying any hack conversion use hot water to try to straighten the crimped section of the old strip. You have nothing to lose.

Pretty sure you have CrossRIDE wheels, not Crossmax. The later do not use rimstrips.

I have seen the Crossride strips offered online in the past.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Expect failure without the UST rim strip. The stock rim strip is fairly thick and the bead seat diameter changes greatly without it in place, in addition to the overall bead seat shape changing.
    Before trying any hack conversion use hot water to try to straighten the crimped section of the old strip. You have nothing to lose.

Pretty sure you have CrossRIDE wheels, not Crossmax. The later do not use rimstrips.

I have seen the Crossride strips offered online in the past.
    You're probably right on the Crossride.

The rim strip is deformed on perhaps 50% of the circumference of the wheel. I'll try straightening it.

If that doesn't work, if I just built up a ghetto rim strip using gorilla tape to the same thickness as the original rim strip, that would probably be ok, yes?

mtbr member
    I think some guys are giving it a try.

Just wanted to give my input. I successfully mounted a kenda blue groove 2.35 to a mavic crossride front rim using electric tape over the spoke holes, then gorilla tape over that to seal airtight. I did the stan's sealant dance, used an air compressor to bead and let it sit all night. Seems to hold pressure fine, will go on a trial ride at ~25-28 psi. I did a mix of 2 parts stans/1 part slime

I did the same set up to my velocity blunt rear wheel 26inch with schwalbe fat albert 2.25, and the tire beaded with the air compressor but it started leaking through 3 large cuts in my tire. I was hoping the sealant would seal it, but it just sprayed out instead. So I patched the tire and going to ride with a tube for a couple days to let the patch adhere and will retry converting it to tubeless. It should be successful and I will keep people interested posted!
    From this post:

Gorilla tape ghetto tubeless works great.

Also, read through this post. I think some guys are doing it.

Mavic Crossride UB/Disc @ Competitve 99

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ripped out the Mavic rim strip and went with 2 layers of gorilla tape and homebrew sealant. Sealed up no problem. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Even with 4 layers of tape I was still getting burping. Instead I have found replacement Mavic rim strips for $5 each, and went down the same trail I was getting burping on before with no problem.

IMO doing the gorilla tape method on a rim with no safety bead like the UST rim strip has that prevents the tire bead from slipping to the center and burping is asking for problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try this, with a screw driver push the rims strip all the way in. That may fix the problem. Those are crosslands (i have them in the garage) and setup tubeless, they work better than any ghetto I have had (Stans - 1 wheelset, gorilla - 2 wheelsets). With UST tires and Crosslands, I have always been able to seat a tire with a regular pump. Not the case with the other methods.

Regardless of the route you take, i would recomend UST tires (unless you are a racer or weight weenie)which are thicker and provide much better protection from tears.