mtbr member

Tubeless tire and rim recommendation for 26"

I just bought a Stache 8 about a month ago. I have really liked how the tubeless setup on it works and rides. I would like to duplicate the same feel on my old Raleigh. Could you all recommend a 32 hole tubeless rim and 2.2 inch tubeless tire for a 26"? Another part of the equation that might throw a wrench in the works is, the rim has to be compatible with rim brakes. Thanks in advance.

Friz

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You may want to look at the Stans web-site. I think they may be the only ones that would offer something like that. Not sure if they do, as the tubeless craze took off long after rim brakes started being fazed out.

mtbr member
    Both Mavic and Stans no longer produce a tubeless rim brake 26" rim. Unless you can find some NOS Mavic X819 or Stans 355 rims, you'll be looking at a conversion at best. Might be able to do that with your existing rims.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Stock rims are done, so I was planning to lace on some new rims. May just get a pair of CR-18's and do a conversion. The stock hubs are still good and I don't want to get into the upgrade loop for cassette, gears and such.

mtbr member
    If I were building up a set of rim brake wheels that I intended to run tubeless, I would select a rim that had a better bead "shelf" like tubeless rims have. The DT XR425 comes to mind but of course it is not cheap (but most tubeless rims are not cheap).
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Ow!
    I have used all types of tubeless, and UST rim with a UST tire (or tubeless ready tire for UST rim) is the easiest to install. So:

I recommend Mavic XM819 rim type if you can find them. I purchased some a few years ago from CRC, and I still see some new come up on ebay occasionally. You might search the net just to see what you can find and check the major bike parts sellers (like CRC) to see what they still have. Also, your lbs or favorite internet supplier might search for you to see what is still available. And, if you can wait, some will come up on ebay, MTBR Classified, etc. eventually. This will take a lot of work on your part. As stated, tubeless rims for rim brakes are not really being made anymore.

But, I did have good luck with Mavic XM719 rim brake rims using a Stans kit.

Nor­wegr
    CRC has nib 2013 XM819s