Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tubeless tire leak - 1/8'' clean cut on non tread portion of tire

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dwt 
#1 ·
I hit a flat this weekend and saw a small 1/8'' cut on the non tread portion of the tire, not being able to pump it to hold air, I popped it open to stick a tube. I noticed that it was completely dry of stans, my question is to keep running this tire do I leave a tube in there now, or should I try to put more Stan's to let it seal?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
With a small cut, superglue applied to the outside (squeeze tire so it can spread to the sides of the cut and seal it) combined with latex sealant inside does the trick for me. Bigger cuts and tears might require a plug patch on the inside

This is a road tubeless sealed with superglue on the road after puncture, which is still in use.

. Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Spoke Rim Bicycle part

#3 ·
I've patched a few tires using a piece of old tube and vulcanizing glue. You basically cut a square or rectangle out of an old tube to form the patch. Clean, scuff, and again clean one side of the patch. Clean, scuff, and again clean the inside of the tire where the patch will be going. Follow the directions for the glue and place the patch on the tire and let cure. It's a pretty simple procedure and has worked on small punctures, I haven't tried this repair on a cut though. In the case of a cut I would probably stitch the tire back together with some fishing line and then patch it in the same manner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.