Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    You're making assumptions Literally...Nope the original 2016 post doesn't appeared to have been updated and the OP was not Combfilter.

Help me out here...
    One of us is clearly taking crazy pills...

As far as I can tell, the original poster was indeed combfilter, and all the way at the bottom of the first post it shows:

Last edited by combfilter; 2 Hours Ago at 01:54 PM.
    I see that the original post was from 8/12/2014. I suspect you simply scrolled up to the top of page 4, where the topmost post was from 2016, and not from combfilter, and most certainly not the original post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You're making assumptions Literally...Nope the original 2016 post doesn't appeared to have been updated and the OP was not Combfilter.

Help me out here...
    Tubeless Tape Thread

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    at the bottom of post #1 you will see where I wrote

2/12/18: Update.
    Came back to check on thread and see if I needed to add any new entries. As of this date and doing lots of tires on different rims this is my personal observation. If you want the tape to last and peel up fine and have the best of both of those worlds, the Tyvek tape is the best. I find that it never peels up from the edge, but somehow is easy to peel off if you need to sell the rim. I find it the lightest and really the toughest. If you tape it right with this stuff you can literally just use 1 layer. I use 2 since its so light. The only sucky think about tyvek is that you have to cut it size. Which blows if you mess up while trying to cut it with a razor blade. It would be awesome if there was a way to outsource some company that could cut this down to 22mm size or whatever size you wanted.

My 2nd choice would be kapton. It's dirt cheap and you can get it close to your size. I have found this to work on rims for 6-12months. Eventually it will peel up but most of you raw dawgs out there will be finished with a tire by then.

3rd choice is the green poly tape. It's dirt cheap too.

Tyvek ftw till I find something else.

Let me know if I need to update, but for now I don't see a better tape IMO than tyvek

That's what I updated. Like the man said. Today.

Magically Delicious
    Oh geezzz....My mistake, I didn't go back far enough.

My bad, I just added to confusion, where confusion didn't exist.

Apologies to all.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Land of the 230+
    Oh geezzz....My mistake, I didn't go back far enough.

My bad, I just added to confusion, where confusion didn't exist..
    I dont think anybody would disagree that this place can be confusing and have plenty of contradicting information... But you did seem to take a pretty aggressive stance earlier. And now you're trying to deflect as if its everyone else's fault for producing such a confusing thread? Are you having a bad day or something?

Magically Delicious
    That's funny...

Nope, I accept all responsibility for being a knucklehead on this one.

Land of the 230+
    That's funny...

Nope, I accept all responsibility for being a knucklehead on this one.
    In which case I must have misinterpreted your post. I rescind any earlier criticism. Everyone has a little derp from time to time.

mtbr member
    New: Blue Tuck Tape.
    In Canada we now have a new blue type of tuck tape that may be a good substitute for tyvek tape if tyvek is not available.
    Last edited by biked2school; 02-13-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Delete
    OK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by combfilter View Post
    :updated original post:
    Thanks for the thread. It's been very informative. Without it , I don't think I would have ever considered using Tyvek tape. And I've had excellent results with it. It's reasonable and it really works good.

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Direct link on ebay for exact Tyvek tape plz..
    OK

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Love this thread. After having bad experiences with the 3m tape on 29i carbon rims, I'm excited to try the Tyvek tape. Can someone share their best method on cutting it to a proper width? Assuming the roll is around 6" in diameter, one would have to cut 5 layers deep with a razor to get approximately the length required for 1 layer on a 29" rim (just under 8' in circumference).

Dab-O-Matic
    Guys get #4289 Tesa Strapping Tape and be done with it! BTW, same as Stan's.
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Love this thread. After having bad experiences with the 3m tape on 29i carbon rims, I'm excited to try the Tyvek tape. Can someone share their best method on cutting it to a proper width? Assuming the roll is around 6" in diameter, one would have to cut 5 layers deep with a razor to get approximately the length required for 1 layer on a 29" rim (just under 8' in circumference).
    I haven't tried cutting the Tyvek tape yet, but with Gorrilla tape, I score a line at the correct width with my calipers and then carefully use an exacto knife to trace the line as deeply as I feel comfortable pressing. Sometimes a second pass is needed.

Curious to learn if there's a better method though.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaalgorn View Post
    Find a tape that is the correct width?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Find a tape that is the correct width?
    This seems easier said than done and also limits a person to a particular width instead of a particular tape. For instance, the inner width of my rims is 29mm, but when you take into account the channel arc length, I need a width closer to 33mm. I want the width of the tape to extend to the bottom of both flanges. Know of any tapes that are exactly 33mm in width? I don't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This seems easier said than done and also limits a person to a particular width instead of a particular tape. For instance, the inner width of my rims is 29mm, but when you take into account the channel arc length, I need a width closer to 33mm. I want the width of the tape to extend to the bottom of both flanges. Know of any tapes that are exactly 33mm in width? I don't.
    Tubeless Tape Thread-61d4kiiijxl._sl1500_.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by literally View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61d4KIiijXL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	1184043
    Fair enough, but isn't the point of this thread to avoid paying outrageously marked-up tape prices? The product you posted is $19 + $3 shipping for 30' of tape. That is 9x more expensive (per foot) than the Tyvek and would only be enough to tape 3 wheels with 1 layer of tape. No thanks.

Magically Delicious
    Everyone has their opinions and preferences on tubeless tape, but I have successfully used Stan's almost exclusively with zero issues or problems on many wheel sets. I have wheels that I taped with Stan's 10 years ago that have endured many, many tire swaps and are still doing great.

I have never tried Tyvek, but I would consider that if I didn't have to cut it to fit my rims. I have never used Gorilla Tape, but I have helped several friends remove it for a fresh tape job and it was a real pain in the a$$. Far more energy and effort than it was worth to clean up for fresh tape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Fair enough, but isn't the point of this thread to avoid paying outrageously marked-up tape prices? The product you posted is $19 + $3 shipping for 30' of tape. That is 9x more expensive (per foot) than the Tyvek and would only be enough to tape 3 wheels with 1 layer of tape. No thanks.
    hey, you asked if there were any and i showed you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

how i cut tape

Tubeless Tape Thread-p5pb8465542.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    hey, you asked if there were any and i showed you.
    And I acknowledged as such when I said "fair enough". The rest of my posting was simply why I wasn't interested. I'd rather do the small amount of work required and pay 1/9th the price. So, in the most literal phrasing possible, thanks but no thanks.

Magically Delicious
    Fair enough, but isn't the point of this thread to avoid paying outrageously marked-up tape prices?
    No, based on the OP's original post, I saw this thread as the OP's observations and experience with multiple types of tapes along with his notes on each. It might have morphed into what you have described though.

Given the infusion of $ we all place into this chosen venue of mountain biking, I fail to understand how some get wrapped around the axle on spending around $20 on a roll that I can get two complete wheel sets taped (4 wheels). $5 per wheel taped that (for me) will last years and many tire swaps. Assuming I can get 3 years from a tape job (I can expect more than this), then your cost per wheel is less than $2 per year. YMMV.

I will drop $20 without thinking about it on a brief evening with friends on a few good, hand crafted double IPA's, or gas money just to get to a good trail head to ride, or a whole lot more on tires and sealant for just one season of riding.

I have to question what are people spending on their bikes? How does this expense compare to your overall costs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Guys get #4289 Tesa Strapping Tape and be done with it! BTW, same as Stan's.
    Where can a person purchase a roll of Tesa 4289 in the US? Thanks.

Magically Delicious
    Goggle it. I found too many to list

mtbr member
    Goggle it. I found too many to list
    I did that...duh! I only found two single roll listings. One on Ebay that will not work for me because it's only 19mm wide. The other listing was from the UK which ends up being too costly. Everything else are cases of 72 or 96.

That's why I was asking "Simplemind".

Dab-O-Matic
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    I did that...duh! I only found two single roll listings. One on Ebay that will not work for me because it's only 19mm wide. The other listing was from the UK which ends up being too costly. Everything else are cases of 72 or 96.

The 18mm tape will work in most applications, as you don't need to go from bead to bead. As long as the holes are well covered, then you're good. I use 18 mm on my 28mm NOX without issues. Now, that said, I did buy a 48 mmm roll from that same (good) seller on eBay. She may still have inventory, just not listed it on eBay. Let me know what you come up with!
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post

You can't get Stan's Tape in the UK?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ Hmmmm...Have you already applied it?

Report back and let us know how this works out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have and so far I'm impressed!

I just applied tape to a spare set for the photo here as the set I'm trying it on is all setup.

Tubeless Tape Thread-29388678_10208952206682862_6516055095631675392_o.jpgTubeless Tape Thread-29386866_10208952206322853_1033396876906332160_o.jpg

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaalgorn View Post
    I haven't tried cutting the Tyvek tape yet, but with Gorrilla tape, I score a line at the correct width with my calipers and then carefully use an exacto knife to trace the line as deeply as I feel comfortable pressing. Sometimes a second pass is needed.

There are a few tricks to make cutting Gorilla tape easier, but I've not found it necessary. Similar to duct tape, once you start to tear it length-wise the tear will stay in that same spot.

Also, they make Gorilla tape in 1" widths and I've found that works well with most rims.

That said, I may give Tyvek a try. Not that I've had many issues with Gorilla tape.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by boboxx View Post
    I'm thinkin' that I might wanna try this stuff!

It's a little stretchy huh? It looks like it would be easy to apply. Sticks well?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It has a nice thickness, stick well but leaves no residue and you can stretch it to the form of the rim profile.

I'm not sure how the glue will handle the ammonia but time will tell.

mtbr member
    I'm writing this out of ignorance because my wheels don't have spoke holes and thus don't require rim tape or rim strips. Why isn't there a rim strip that seals without the need for rim tape? Seems like a royal pain to have to tape the rim to seal the spoke holes and even then, how effective is that in preventing leaks? Why can't the rim strip seat up against the tire beads and seal the tire?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    I'm writing this out of ignorance because my wheels don't have spoke holes and thus don't require rim tape or rim strips. Why isn't there a rim strip that seals without the need for rim tape? Seems like a royal pain to have to tape the rim to seal the spoke holes and even then, how effective is that in preventing leaks? Why can't the rim strip seat up against the tire beads and seal the tire?
    there are some rim strips that do just that - the bontrager tlr is the first that comes to mind. i'm guessing the taping method took off because it's lighter and cheaper for both the rim/wheel manufacturer and the customer.
    having used both i'd prefer a dedicated strip like the bonty tlr for its ease of installation and use but i've never had a taped rim leak or otherwise have any issues either.

mtbr member
    It has a nice thickness, stick well but leaves no residue and you can stretch it to the form of the rim profile.

I'm not sure how the glue will handle the ammonia but time will tell.
    Good find boboxx. Which tape is that again? I like the stretchy transparency of it.
    The link in your above post sent me to some cloth hockey stick tape.

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Good find boboxx. Which tape is that again? I like the stretchy transparency of it.
    The link in your above post sent me to some cloth hockey stick tape.
    https://renfrewpro.com/renfrewhomepa...?ProductID=902

mtbr member
    HAHAHA!! I live here in Hawaii. Not much hockey here. Though yeah, another realization that mail order is every thing here in hick down Waimea, Hawaii.

mtbr member
    there are some rim strips that do just that - the bontrager tlr is the first that comes to mind. i'm guessing the taping method took off because it's lighter and cheaper for both the rim/wheel manufacturer and the customer.
    having used both i'd prefer a dedicated strip like the bonty tlr for its ease of installation and use but i've never had a taped rim leak or otherwise have any issues either.
    Is the Bontrager rim strip only for specific Bontrager rims?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    yes they're molded to fit the inner rim profile perfectly.

mtbr member
    You might want to check out Caffelatex tubeless rim strips. Rather pricey, but work really well. They are made by Effetto Mariposa who have various tubeless products.

mtbr member
    Do any of the rim strips have humps for the bead to seat against like true tubeless rims have?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    What is the width of this tape?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just finished my first TL installation on used wtb frequency i23. Had some issues with properly installing WTB/Stans/Tesa tape due to weird profile with nipple holes and too wide tape. Then also tried Orange Seal tape. This is probably the worst tape one can imagine. Stay away from it. I actually tore it on two attempts when pulling to install it, WTF?? Then went to buy some Gorilla tape, seated the bead w/o sealant, added Cafelatex and so far so good. I don't mind the sticky residue as I will probably throw the wheels away when I buy new wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I used the Tyvek tape on my new rear wheel on Friday, So far I have ridden 3 days, One jump/dirt park day and two days on the trails and have had absolutely no leaks at all, so in that aspect so far so good.

Now some of the issues I kept having during installation is the tape kept tearing when I was installing it onto the rim (tears very easily). I literally had to pull the the amount of tape needed off of the roll, have someone hold one end while I applied the other end to the rim.
    After I was satisfied that the tape was on properly I did attempt to remove the tape to see how well it came off and as I peeled evenly (only about .25 inch) it off it began to tear; at that point I stopped and reapplied that small piece.

I say that to say this, removal of the tyvek may prove very hard to do (maybe using a heat gun may make the process easier), but I don't really forsee myself having to remove it unless it fails to hold a seal. Only time will tell.

I can definitely say Stans tape is good stuff (minus the price), I have had the same strip of Stans tape on my front wheel for about a year and a half with multiple tire changes and haven't had any issues with significant air loss. I just check before each ride and its always good to go.

Hope this info was helpful.
    Last edited by riding4life; 05-21-2018 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hopefully I'm understanding your question right, but the quick answer is probably no. But to further expound, The rim strips don't really require anything additional since they are usually thin enough to not interfere with the tire bead and rim interface.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by riding4life View Post
    I can definitely say Stans tape is good stuff (minus the price), I have had the same strip of Stans tape on my front wheel for about a year and a half with multiple tire changes and haven't had any issues with significant air loss. I just check before each ride and its always good to go.
    I have been a fan of Stan's for many years. I have multiple wheel sets and a few that have are more than 5 years on Stan's tape and who knows how many thousands of miles and tire swaps with complete success and no issues.

Stan's is easy to install and easy to remove. Some enjoy whimpering about the price, but for about $11, I can get two wheel sets (4 rims) that last for years. You can do the math.

If I could only get tires to last this long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have been a fan of Stan's for many years. I have multiple wheel sets and a few that have are more than 5 years on Stan's tape and who knows how many thousands of miles and tire swaps with complete success and no issues.

Stan's is easy to install and easy to remove. Some enjoy whimpering about the price, but for about $11, I can get two wheel sets (4 rims) that last for years. You can do the math.

If I could only get tires to last this long.

I concur, its Good Quality. I have had to remove my stans tape from my rear wheel two occasions due to 1) having multiple spokes break on a ride and 2) getting a new rear hub; and I must say, It came off just as easily as it went on. Absolutely no complaints there!!! And I do agree again, yes the math is pretty good considering how long it will last.

I just enjoy finding new ways and options. But I guess the old saying can apply here, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

BUT.................

I was one of those kids that would take radios apart, toys, remote control cars, ect and tinker with them just to see what would happen and if I could get them to work again. :-)

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ Speak of broken spokes and the emanate failure of the tape...

I have a rear wheel that broke a spoke (only one spoke) and it went through the tape. I had a weekend of rides planned with friends and being lazy and not really wanting to re-tape my wheel, I just placed a small piece of packaging tape over the hole. Reinstalled the tire and it held air, so I rode. That was just over two years ago and it's still holding air. I never re-taped the wheel.

mtbr member
    What is the point of buying tape that is not the proper width, and having to cut it to width with a razor blade? I've got better things to do with my time just to save a few bucks. False economy IMO. Use Stan's yellow tape.

mtbr member
    Any tips on how to tape? I got some air bubbles in my Stan's yellow tape. Worked most of them out but some remain.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Any tips on how to tape? I got some air bubbles in my Stan's yellow tape. Worked most of them out but some remain.
    Did you put a tube in overnight or even ride it with a tube at relatively high pressure for at least a day before?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    oops, double post
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What is the point of buying tape that is not the proper width, and having to cut it to width with a razor blade? I've got better things to do with my time just to save a few bucks. False economy IMO. Use Stan's yellow tape.
    Because Tyvek is way cheaper, readily available at home depot, much longer roll, sticks to the rim better, easier to apply, and does not come off with the tire when i change tires. Worth it.
    '18 banshee rune

mtbr member

Tubeless Tape Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Did you put a tube in overnight or even ride it with a tube at relatively high pressure for at least a day before?
    No but what does a tube do that the same air pressure in the tire without the tube doesn't? Same force/pressure acting upon the tape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    Because Tyvek is way cheaper, readily available at home depot, much longer roll, sticks to the rim better, easier to apply, and does not come off with the tire when i change tires. Worth it.
    Reading some of the posts in this thread, it doesn't seem it's all that great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    No but what does a tube do that the same air pressure in the tire without the tube doesn't? Same force/pressure acting upon the tape.
    Mold the tape to the rimís contour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    yes they're molded to fit the inner rim profile perfectly.
    Yes, these black plastic strips (endless loops) are made to fit specific rim only, are not sticky, and hold very well with my Bontrager 27.5 rims. Cannot be reused, but I never had to replace them yet. Bontrager also sells blue tape for wide rims; I use it with my carbon Line Pro 40 rims with no complaints. Not sure who the actual manufacturer of this blue tape is.
    Last edited by kosulin; 05-27-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: misspelled

mtbr member

Tubeless Tape Thread

Deleted

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I used the Tyvek tape on my new rear wheel on Friday, So far I have ridden 3 days, One jump/dirt park day and two days on the trails and have had absolutely no leaks at all, so in that aspect so far so good.

Now some of the issues I kept having during installation is the tape kept tearing when I was installing it onto the rim (tears very easily). I literally had to pull the the amount of tape needed off of the roll, have someone hold one end while I applied the other end to the rim.
    After I was satisfied that the tape was on properly I did attempt to remove the tape to see how well it came off and as I peeled evenly (only about .25 inch) it off it began to tear; at that point I stopped and reapplied that small piece.

I say that to say this, removal of the tyvek may prove very hard to do (maybe using a heat gun may make the process easier), but I don't really forsee myself having to remove it unless it fails to hold a seal. Only time will tell.

Hope this info was helpful.
    In my experience tyvek isnít super difficult to remove from an aluminum rim, canít say for carbon. Yeah, it dies tend to tear a bit easily when applying, but Iíve found that you donít need to pull it as tight as Stanís when applying to get it to conform to the rim so thatís mitigated. Just pull tight enough that it doesnít tear and carefully rub it down into the rim with a rag as you go. Then install a tire with a tube for a day or two to really seal it down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The tube constrains the air so it will only be pushing in one direction against the top of the tape. If no tube initially, if there are any small wrinkles or bubbles or areas not adhered well, the air and sealant can potentially get underneath the tape and counteract this (and possibly even escape out a spoke hole) Using a tube ensures the pressure will push evenly in only one direction sealing the tape flat against the rim and pushing out and away any air trapped underneath and really sealing it down and flattening any bubbles before you put sealant in. Could you get away with not doing this if you did a perfect taping job? Probably. Itís an extra step to ensure max performance and durability, and itís easy, so why not

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Reading some of the posts in this thread, it doesn't seem it's all that great.
    Sure works well for me, and the OP sure seems to like it

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Stan's doesn't adhere well to my Enve Carbon rims.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ That is prolly the best reason that I've heard.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj View Post
    The tube constrains the air so it will only be pushing in one direction against the top of the tape. If no tube initially, if there are any small wrinkles or bubbles or areas not adhered well, the air and sealant can potentially get underneath the tape and counteract this (and possibly even escape out a spoke hole) Using a tube ensures the pressure will push evenly in only one direction sealing the tape flat against the rim and pushing out and away any air trapped underneath and really sealing it down and flattening any bubbles before you put sealant in. Could you get away with not doing this if you did a perfect taping job? Probably. Itís an extra step to ensure max performance and durability, and itís easy, so why not
    I've never done the tube step in any tubeless setup I've ever done. Not even fat bike. Press bubbles out by hand. Mount tire, pour in sealant and set to full rated pressure. I don't shake or spin the wheel for a couple hours. Then shake/spin check for leaks and go ride. Knock on wood never had any issues since I ditched gorilla Tape for kapton tape a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

I just applied tape to a spare set for the photo here as the set I'm trying it on is all setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29388678_10208952206682862_6516055095631675392_o.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	1188418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29386866_10208952206322853_1033396876906332160_o.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	1188419
    Tried the same brand today and got to 30psi to set bead and the tape let go. It split along the bead shelf. It's pretty flexible so I didn't over stretch it when applied but it also didnt sit in the recess of the rim so that could have caused the split. It's to bad as it's a great price and perfect width for crest.
    Last edited by machine4321; 05-31-2018 at 04:46 AM.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    It split along the need shel.
    Need shel? What?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm a roadie, so I deal with tubeless pressures between 55-70psi on 28mm tires. My favorite tape remains that 2mil green powder coat masking tape. It's stretchier and thinner than Stan's. Adheres well to carbon rims, but also not difficicult to remove. It's not quite as stretchy as the blue 3M/Scotch tape, but also won't split like those tapes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Need shel? What?
    Bead shelf. My phone is terrible lol

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Thanks & good to know as well...

I ordered a roll of 8896 to use on my LB carbon and Stan's aluminum rims from now on.
    My only tape "failure" to date was one wrap with a bit of overlap of appropriately sized Stan's tape on a LB carbon rim that lasted just over 5 years. I cracked a 29er frame running that wheel set in less time After a few tire replacements, I'm guessing the bead caught the edge of the tape and started pulling away over time.

I've been running two wraps of the 3m 8996 tape with Stan's sealant on a mix of LB carbon and Stan's ArchEX/Crest/FlowEX 29er rims with no issues.

The 3m tape is more flexible than Stan's tape and seems to be slightly narrower... less chance of catching/peeling maybe too I guess.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Combfilter, nice work on updates at the beginning. I never though I would use anything but Stans, but a few issues arose that caused me to buy so much tape, that I decided to try TYVEK. Works great. Stans is better, tougher, easier to use with the proper rim prep, but the cost per wheel is stupid. Too bad Stans does not sell a big roll of 40-50 yards for $20, along with their normal length offerings. I ended up taping about 10 wheels in the last year due to some tire failures/slashes, 2 sets of new rims(4), a carbon rim warranty, sold and bought ANOTHER set, etc etc. I was on a roll, and my STANS tape was lasting multiple tire changes, then boom! It hit me, 10 wheels recently. With my Newest DERBY set, I tried Orange seal, 18mm cover spoke holes only. Broke tape 1/2 way around first rim, thought, ok, this is more delicate. Single wrapped like STANS, but with Orange Seal the spoke hole ripped. Pretty lame. Double wrapped next time, seemed to solve any issues, but that tape is not for me. I dont care for taping spoke holes only, either. Even after proper prep, I had soapy water seep under tape. I barely soaped the beads with a damp sponge. It could have been a bad roll that I bought online, as it had a few bubles on NEW roll. I like the tape to be under the tire bead. So, In my opinion, the Orange Seal tape is not very good. I was not happy about buying STANS retail this morning, so instead, I stopped by Home Depot and bought TYVEK roll for $16. It is 50 meters for $16. Pretty sweet price. Its a bummer to cut it, so its not for everyone. I used new razor and a magazine that was the correct height. Also, I found it tends to rip, while wrapping on rim, so you cant manhandle it like STANs. I think cutting it on the rim after 2 wraps would have been easier than cutting the roll. Some people fail to understand that most rim walls form a perpendicular corner, while the tape can be applied so the side you are going to cut, CURVES up the rim wall, far from the corner you need to cut. This tape is brittle enough that you just drag a sharp razor along the apex of the tape, you dont need to apply cutting pressure to rim. After cutting apex, rub tape into the corner with a rag. The TYVEK tape is a bit trickier than STANS, but I like it. Thanks again. You saved me $30 in tape over the next year or 2. I cant wait to spend all the money I saved. But seriously, Stans just seemed like a rip off. If you ride 200 days per year, and take cool trips where you want fresh rubber, you will be switching alot of tires.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Please learn to use paragraphs and stop typing in a stream of consciousness.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Okay! (I dumbed it down for you).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla View Post
    Anybody try this out yet? Stucco Tape, a polyethylene film with rubber adhesive, supposed to come up clean. I need to tape up Mulefut 50's and am thinking of trying this out.
    Stucco MASKING Tapes have been the new goto for the past few years for sealing RVs and vehicles against the dust or holding on heat reflective covers at Burning Man. Holds in the dry desert heat & wind, releases easily without residue or surface damage after one to two weeks. PE444 and PE555 are both rated to 160F.
    Lots of elongation: 76% or 94%.
    Adhesion: 80/in or 92/in.
    Bad: only rated down to freezing, if you're winter biking.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Stucco MASKING Tapes have been the new goto for the past few years for sealing RVs and vehicles against the dust or holding on heat reflective covers at Burning Man. Holds in the dry desert heat & wind, releases easily without residue or surface damage after one to two weeks. PE444 and PE555 are both rated to 160F.
    Lots of elongation: 76% or 94%.
    Adhesion: 80/in or 92/in.
    Bad: only rated down to freezing, if you're winter biking.
    Man, totally forgot about this stuff. I tried it out but couldn't get it to stick onto fhe rim surface.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the write up dude!

Getting a new ride soon with Roval 38mm inner width carbon rims on it.

Will Home Depot have the Tyvek tape in the right size?

Checked on Amazon and looks like you have to buy bulk amounts there.

Thanks for any help!

mtbr member
    Home Depot has 2 inch tyvek rolls. You'll need to cut, but it's incredibly easy to cut cleanly and straight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Home Depot has 2 inch tyvek rolls. You'll need to cut, but it's incredibly easy to cut cleanly and straight.
    Cool. Thanks!

Yeah, screw the overpriced Stan's stuff. And the Gorilla tape is too thick (esp trying to mount some brands of tires). Curious to check out the Tyvek!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by camus View Post

Will Home Depot have the Tyvek tape in the right size?
    For my fat-bike rims, yes.

For others, you stretch it over just the same, then use an x-acto knife to trim against the rim edge.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Alright heres my 3 week update, the rear wheel tyvek tape did not do the job. It worked great for 3 weeks and all of a sudden I lost all air on a ride and had to hike a bike for 2 miles (left my spare tube in the car)..

I took the tire off and there were 2-3 points where the fluid was able to get under the tape and allow air out. Also When I removed the tape it left this horrible, difficult to remove residue around the entire rim. A Bit disappointing, but a good lesson learned.

With that said, I'm going back to Stans Tape. My Front wheel is still holding strong after close to 2 years and many tire changes.
    Last edited by riding4life; 06-13-2018 at 09:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Alright heres my 3 week update, the rear wheel tyvek tape did not do the job. It worked great for 3 weeks and all of a sudden I lost all air on a ride and had to hike a bike for 2 miles (left my spare tube in the car)..

I took the tire off and there were 2-3 points where the fluid was able to get under the tape and allow air out. Also When I removed the tape it left this horrible, difficult to remove residue around the entire rim. A Bit disappointing, but a good lesson learned.

With that said, I'm going back to Stans Tape. My Front wheel is still holding strong after close to 2 years and many tire changes.
    Stan's tape is reported to be Tesa 4289. Why waste your time with Tyvek tape? Try the Tesa tape if you want to save money (still needs to be cut to width though).

Magically Delicious
    Stan's tape..
    About $2.75 per wheel.
    Where's the money issue for a tape that (for me) can last years?

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Stan's tape..
    About $2.75 per wheel.
    If you roll only once, if you succeed with first try, if it's only your few wheels, if you don't change tyres often, if ...
    OK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ka81ua View Post
    If you roll only once, if you succeed with first try, if it's only your few wheels, if you don't change tyres often, if ...

Why double wrap? I haven't taped many wheels but it seems like it's about as straightforward and easy as it gets. Also I don't change my tires very often but after about a half dozen of them the tape still seems fine and I can't see why I couldn't change a half dozen more.

For sure I'm not opposed to saving money for an equal product but in the grand scheme of things wheel tape is a minor expense. I've gone through about $600 in tires with one $10 roll of stand tape.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Giant Reign 27.5 2 LTD
    Mavic EN 827
    Michelin Force AM Competition Line GUM-X3D 27.5x2.35
    So f...g hard to set, that only after one time the tape probably wil be cut a lot.

Yes, saving money here looks a little bit awkward but ... why not? If your friend will need some tape - you got it, 60 m for just 10$ (Tesa 4289).
    And yes, Tesa 4289 is almost the same as Stan's! I got both of them.

p.s. sorry for bad english..
    OK

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I can wholeheartedly NOT recommend Tyvek tape. I had mine last about 5 months on my fat bike before it failed (with 3 wraps of tape). It was an absolute nightmare to remove from the rim. No joke it took 3 hours and a combination of goo gone, mineral spirits, iso alcohol, and a flat bladed screwdriver to get all the residue off. I'm done being cheap!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Stan's tape is reported to be Tesa 4289. Why waste your time with Tyvek tape? Try the Tesa tape if you want to save money (still needs to be cut to width though).
    Its not a money issue, I'm just a tinkerer and like like trying different things out. Non related, but I in love with Maxxis Minion tires and swore thats all I'd ever use, but today I just bought a Maxxis Aggressor just to test it out. I already have some Stans tape so maybe the next go-round I'll use Tesa 4289.

Stan's tape..
    About $2.75 per wheel.
    No Issue, My other wheel has had stans on it for close to 2 years. Just trying new things.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I use these with Stans Flow MK3. Best performance beating gorilla tape, stans tape, etc IMHO.

https://www.specialized.com/nz/en/2b...-each/p/134014

Magically Delicious
    Stan's tape..
    About $2.75 per wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka81ua View Post
    Just a brief repeat of my post #449...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Some updates with road carbon rims:

Deep channels can be a problem with Kapton. Pull it tight enough to stick to the channel and there's a high risk the tape will break at the valve stem hole. Maxi 248 has a different problem: while it's capable of being stretched smooth, it doesn't stick well enough to maintain tension. I wasn't able to successfully overlap without a short crinkled section underneath.

Tyvek is *much* stickier than Kapton, about the same thickness, and a bit more flexible, but also tears more easily. It only comes in 48mm width. I ruined a roll trying to narrow it with a box cutter. A tiny misalignment in my cut meant every turn of the roll caused the tape to shear at an angle. Very frustrating. I'd probably like it (though not much more than Kapton) if it came in 25mm width.

I went back to Kapton with a different approach:

* Full width, because I discovered sealant seepage when I removed my narrower tape, and if the tape extends beyond the channel without going full-width, changing tires will abrade the edge. Kapton is thin enough not to excessively pad the bead shelf.
    * Moderate tension, to reduce stress at the valve stem.
    * Two layers, for strength, and because Kapton is thin and weighs nothing.
    * Suspended above the channel, because the only place the tape actually has to touch the channel is at the valve stem.
    * With a short piece of Gorilla tap at the valve stem added before making the puncture.

This works perfectly and it's what I intend to do with all of my rims, mountain included, the future.

Tubeless Tape Thread-img_3989.jpg
    Last edited by alexdi; 07-11-2018 at 01:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Tips for Tyvek users:
    - don't pull the tape that hard, you don't need to. Pull the amount you need with just enough tension and push it down as you go around. Watch the stans tape install video, do the same thing but at 1/4 the power he is using
    - do two layers. It's so light it still ends up being lighter than tesa and the others.
    - They sell 1.88" rolls on amazon that can managed a little easier. The benefit of getting the bigger roll at homedepot is you can offset your cuts. Like I just eyeball about 1/3 of the way down. The top half is for my 25mm internal width rims, and the bottom 1/2 is for my road tubeless rims which are 17mm. If it's a little bigger I just let it overlap and go around with a blade and cut at the beadwall. Yes on carbon, don't be a little bish..it wont hurt if you do it careful.

Why use tyvek? because i've done this a long long time. It's the lightest and easist tape that forms very well to the channel, sticks on and stays on thru multiple tire changes, works with 60psi pressures of road tubeless or 17psi pressures of mtb, is cheap, it does not leave residue for me...not sure whats going on with the one guy that was bishing about tyvek leaving tape behind. Remember that very first tyvek post on that enve rim from 8/14/14?? That tape is still on that rim and I have changed tires on that wheel about 8-10x's at least with no issues. Yes I change that much..

So that leads to my next point. I started this thread from the eyes of a tubeless convert that wanted tape that worked. I race both XC and Road and use tubless on both. When you pop the tire to top of stans or change it you often with stans tape , would peel that tape back a bit when you do that. This leads to stans getting under the tape and eventually leaking out. I hate this aspect of tubeless. Tyvek works the best for me and my applications which again is XC racing and Road. I am not riding fat bikes in Alaska or Enudro Bro shit in NC. You guys might require different tapes than I do.

Tyvek is not the end all be all either. Rim strips work very well, but again I am racer boy Weight Weenie.

Buying stans tape is retarded when you think about how little you get for what price.. Thus another good thing about this thread.. You have access to the same stuff a lot cheaper.

hope that clears the air about tyvek.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone notice this with Kapton tape?

I use my own version of stans sauce. (BAMF's v.2.0) from the giant tubless thread. I believe stans home brew and orange seal are deteriorating the kapton tape. Wish I had a pic. I put kapton on another wheelset a bit ago just to test out and opened it up and it looked like the tape was like almost dissolved or deteriorated. I am guessing it's probably the ammonia in the home brew/orange seal?

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by combfilter View Post
    Anyone notice this with Kapton tape?

I use my own version of stans sauce. (BAMF's v.2.0) from the giant tubless thread. I believe stans home brew and orange seal are deteriorating the kapton tape. Wish I had a pic. I put kapton on another wheelset a bit ago just to test out and opened it up and it looked like the tape was like almost dissolved or deteriorated. I am guessing it's probably the ammonia in the home brew/orange seal?
    I reported the same problem some time back, I included pictures on my post.
    Luckily I was just testing the tape on my rims without spoke holes, so apart from have to clean the rim, I didn't had any bad surprise.

EDIT: it was on post #363

mtbr member
    May 2017
    alexdi, I tried kapton tape for Road tubeless and found it was too stretchy and wrinkled easily as a result. Try the green powder coat masking tape for something with medium stretch and decent, but not overkill adhesive. It comes in 1Ē width, perfect for most road rims. It has just enough stretch to form into the center channel with decent pull force. It doesnít split or tear easily like 3M 8898. Itís stretchier than Stanís/Tesa 4289.

mtbr member
    Like this Combfilter? These were on the previous page. @Aglo was describing the same thing. Obviously, something isn't getting along with the Kapton tape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tubeless Tape Thread-1132524-tubeless-tape-thread-image001.jpg  

Tubeless Tape Thread-1132525-tubeless-tape-thread-image002.jpg  

Tubeless Tape Thread-1132526-tubeless-tape-thread-image005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Edit: Didn't see that @Aglo had posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    yup just like that guys ^^^^^^
    Mine did the same thing. I wonder if the people that are NOT experiencing this are using sealant that is ammonia free?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast