mtbr member
    Nov 2012

tubeless setup - quick question for an expert

I set my rig up tubeless last night. I got it to hold air. Pumped to ~45 PSI. Rode it around, sloshed the wheels around, etc... This morning, rear is good to go, front was flat. Air up, find the section that was leaking, sloshed around, sealed. Air up - and I left it laying on its side for the leak.

Should I be good to go after this? Pretty typical? Or will I continue having troubles?

Committed
    I find that it usually takes a little ride time to get converted tires to hold air long term. Air them up, shake & slosh to seal the obvious leaks, then go for a ride (checking pressure a couple times as you go). After this you are good to go most the time.
    Once in a while I will have a stubborn tire that takes a few rides to seal up long term.
    Tubless can be a bit of a pita, but I feel it's worth the trouble.

mtbr member
    I've had mixed experiences with this. Sometimes they seal up great and hold, sometimes they don't and worse yet, will burp and go flat on the trail. I always try to go for a ride after sealing it up for 20 minutes or so, it can just be urban riding around the household just to play.

Good luck with that, I wish I had a better answer for you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I think it depends on the tire and rim combination as to whether or not you'll see long term issues. Some tires work better on some rims. The initial experience seems reasonable though.

T.W.O.
    Yeah, my experience is kinda mix too, it depends on the tires and rims combo. Are you using UST set up or Stan's conversion.

mtbr member
    Not uncommon, for sure. At the shop when setting somebody up tubeless, I always have them leave it for at least a day, as I don't want them taking it home and having it flat overnight. Even then having to explain the issues that may arise the first few days. Riding is key, but so is a keen ear. I usually keep a freshly set up tire close by so I can squeeze it and spin it every 15 minutes. But then again I keep my bikes in my living room anyway. Good luck.

Helmetless Crasher
    totally depends

some seal-up almost instantly and hold air forever.

Others take weeks to seal-up and then spring leaks periodically for the life of the tire.

Try to keep the tire pumped to 35-40 psi, the sealant evenly distributed, and flip it from side to side hourly. Do this whenever the bike is not being ridden, until you are confident you have a good seal.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    I would say you should be fine. Just pump it up before you ride and after a decent ride the sealant should have sloshed around enough to have done it's job. I've had tyres go flat overnight constantly for months and then suddenly just start holding air. They can be funny things. They always seem to lose air pretty gradually though, so they've never actually gone flat on me during a 2-3 hour ride, just overnight. I normally stick a few psi in my tyres before every ride anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    I would say you should be fine. Just pump it up before you ride and after a decent ride the sealant should have sloshed around enough to have done it's job. I've had tyres go flat overnight constantly for months and then suddenly just start holding air. They can be funny things. They always seem to lose air pretty gradually though, so they've never actually gone flat on me during a 2-3 hour ride, just overnight. I normally stick a few psi in my tyres before every ride anyway.
    To the OP: yes, what you are describing is fairly typical. And as has been pointed out, maybe it will fix itself and maybe it won't Stumpyjumpy and roaringboy have provided excellent answers in my opinion. Without knowing your setup, it is pretty hard to offer more specific advice. Don't forget about the classic dunking in a tub of water to find the source of stubborn leaks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks for all the help guys... they are holding now.