Thread: tubeless setup

Wizard of the Trail

tubeless setup

So, I am looking to go tubeless on my 29er. I have two wheelsets. Bontrager Rhythm Disc 29, 28mm wide tubeless ready rims and stans no tubes ztr arches. The stans have just scotch 33 eletrical tape in for now. I have two panaracer rampages and two wtb exiwolves. What do I need to go tubeless? I know I need the valve cores, some sort of tape for the stans wheels and the sealant. What else do I need?

BTW, I hear you can run 26 tubes in 29 wheels. Does this compromise the integrity of the tube? AKA, more pinch flats?

Any info would be great.
    Thanks
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Wizard of the Trail
    Disregard. Bought a fatbike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    Disregard. Bought a fatbike.
    That's funny Geist262. I was ready to reply. Don't give up the 29er completely. I am still riding mine. I have many bikes and each one is completely different. I enjoy them all. I may even do another triathlon next year on my Argon 18, E-114.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    That's funny Geist262. I was ready to reply. Don't give up the 29er completely. I am still riding mine. I have many bikes and each one is completely different. I enjoy them all. I may even do another triathlon next year on my Argon 18, E-114.
    Yeah, I haven't ride the 9er much since I bought the fattie. I basically resurrected this post because it was old and no one answered me. If you have any tips, would be glad to listen/read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Geist262; 10-04-2012 at 02:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am a newbie at this... so looking for some friendly help. Will I have a problem mounting a tubeless ready tire like a Schwalbe Hans Dampf with the Stans kit to my stock Giant wheels that are non UST wheels? I am using the stans strips with these wheels with Maxxis Cross Marks now, but have shredded the sidewall in the rear. Will the new tires mount up ok?

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by johntrek5 View Post
    I am a newbie at this... so looking for some friendly help. Will I have a problem mounting a tubeless ready tire like a Schwalbe Hans Dampf with the Stans kit to my stock Giant wheels that are non UST wheels? I am using the stans strips with these wheels with Maxxis Cross Marks now, but have shredded the sidewall in the rear. Will the new tires mount up ok?
    Dude, your probably better off starting your own thread, considering how old this one is. Not to mention that my question was never answered in the first place. I doubt it will get anymore hits.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by sarveshwari View Post
    We are providing services for wheels and tyres like Wheel Width Calliper, Rim Width Caliper and tyre / tire valve tools, tyre / tire repair tools.
    Indeed.

mtbr member
    So, I am looking to go tubeless on my 29er. I have two wheelsets. Bontrager Rhythm Disc 29, 28mm wide tubeless ready rims and stans no tubes ztr arches. The stans have just scotch 33 eletrical tape in for now. I have two panaracer rampages and two wtb exiwolves. What do I need to go tubeless? I know I need the valve cores, some sort of tape for the stans wheels and the sealant. What else do I need?

BTW, I hear you can run 26 tubes in 29 wheels. Does this compromise the integrity of the tube? AKA, more pinch flats?

Any info would be great.
    Thanks
    Geist262, I have very little experience in this area but I did install Stans Crest rims and Shwalbe 29x2.35, evolution,snakeskin,pacestar Nobby Nics on my Superfly a few months ago. The rims came taped and ready. All I had to do was mount the tires, poor in some Stans sealant and pump them up. They went up with a hand pump. Have been riding them ever since without incident. Thats why it's driving me nuts having such a hard time getting tubeless on the fatty.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    Geist262, I have very little experience in this area but I did install Stans Crest rims and Shwalbe 29x2.35, evolution,snakeskin,pacestar Nobby Nics on my Superfly a few months ago. The rims came taped and ready. All I had to do was mount the tires, poor in some Stans sealant and pump them up. They went up with a hand pump. Have been riding them ever since without incident. Thats why it's driving me nuts having such a hard time getting tubeless on the fatty.
    Probably has to do with the low pressure. Those tires squish and squirm alot. I haven't heard a lot of people running tubeless on fatbikes. I'm waiting for the kinks to be ironed out. Ever change a tire at 20 degrees after you just hit some muck? Lol. I bet the Alaskan boys have it worse though.

mtbr member
    Probably has to do with the low pressure. Those tires squish and squirm alot. I haven't heard a lot of people running tubeless on fatbikes. I'm waiting for the kinks to be ironed out. Ever change a tire at 20 degrees after you just hit some muck? Lol. I bet the Alaskan boys have it worse though.

Ha Ha, my hands wont do any thing at 20 degree's.

turtles make me hot
    I changed to tubeless last night. I currently have Salsa Semi rims on my bike that have a sticker in them that state: Not for use with tubeless systems.
    After getting many, many thorn flats over the past few weeks, I couldn't wait any longer for my new Flows, so I did these. Used yellow tape. One of the easiest things I've done. I went for a night ride on the newly tubeless tires.
    All I can say is WOW! What a difference.
    I like turtles