JeffcoHo

Tubeless Rim tape questions due to problems I have been having.

So this spring I got some new Stan's Flow rims and re-mounted my Maxxis highrollers back on them. Recently my Highrollers wore out on the road and the only UST tire I could find worth a damn is a Continental Mountain king 2.4 UST. Good tire, you could probably seat it with a floor pump. It mounts really tight.

The problem I have been dealing with is that the Rim tape is being damaged. Both getting holes in the tape where the spokes go and the tape is being rolled and pushed around when a tire comes on or off. I am getting holes in Stans rim tape but Stans, Caffe Latex and gorrila tape are all failing to hold air. (I think due to the tape being pushed over when mounting the tire.)

Yes, I clean my rims with simple green and then alcohol before applying tape. Also when laying down tape I have the tape taunt and press it into place with my finger so that there are no bubbles. I have about 3 inches of overlap right at the stem. The stem is a Stan's stem. (Round rubber)

When laying down rim tape dose it have to cover the whole rim from side to side or can there be a little rim showing on either side? Does the bead of the tire sit on the rim tape or the metal of the rim?

Who make the most bomber rim tape?
    ‎"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." -Marcus Aurelius

mtbr member
    When I put the tape on my Stan's Crest rims, it did NOT cover the entire rim, side to side. There was a small portion of rim exposed between the tape and the inner sidewall of the rim.

It's close, but once you firmly press the tape into the center channel, it draws the edges away from the sidewalls a slight bit. I'm not sure if the tire bead actually contacts the rim or the tape but it looks like it lifts up into the rim bead and doesn't touch either once it's inflated.

Using a Schwalbe Nobby Nic, the tire inflated easily with an old floor pump. In fact, I got the bead to seat and hold air without using any sealant on my first try.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbpete
    Stan's 25mm wide rim tape is wide enough to cover all of the spoke holes and vent holes in the rim. I do wish they had tape a little wider for the Flow and Flow EX - When the tape goes up the side of the rim there's less chance it will bunch up when installing or removing the tire.

To reduce some of your problems make sure you don't use a tire lever at a spoke hole - use between spoke holes. A nick in the tape between spoke holes wont cause much trouble, but a hole over the spoke hole will require new tape.

Always mount the valve area last - this will make the tire much easier to mount.

You don't need UST tires on Stan's rims, they are the hardest to mount and you definitely don't need a compressor with tires that tight. You also should not need a compressor with any tubeless ready tire you mount on those rims - so you may get some more tire choices by seeking out tubeless ready tires.

JeffcoHo
    So kind of a side story about these rims is that when I decided to build these wheels the guys at the bike shop assured me that I could mount non-UST tires to the stans flow rims. I wanted this because you can pick up great non-ust tires for about $25 less than UST. So i went out and bought a bunch of Maxxis Highroller II's 2.4 EXO and tried mounting them up. They would literately explode off my rims. I would add stan's, fill them up to 35 psi, roll the stan's around the wheel and in 12-24 hours they would explode off the rim. This happened to 2 different tires.

Bad batch of tires? Bad tape? Bad Rim? Bad matching of rim and tire?
    ‎"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." -Marcus Aurelius

mtbpete
    Many tires will blow off of the NoTubes rims by 40 psi, but the Maxxis tires seam to have a particularly week bead. Normal operating pressure for most riders is in the mid 20's. I would choose another brand of tire or keep the pressure lower. The tire pressure gauge could be off as well. Note, if the tires are kept in the mid 30's and are left out in the sun or another very hot area they tire pressure increases and the bead also begins to stretch and can cause a blow-off.

JeffcoHo
    Hmmm.... I love the high roller, and I love tubeless. I also like the pressure in my rear tire around 35 psi for better rolling resistance. Maybe I will give it a shot in the high 20's once I get break in my racing schedule. For now I am going to try laying a fatter width of gorilla tape down and mounting up that continental mountain king.

Thanks for the help today!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Tubeless Rim tape questions due to problems I have been having.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffcoHo View Post
    Hmmm.... I love the high roller, and I love tubeless. I also like the pressure in my rear tire around 35 psi for better rolling resistance.!
    Are you only running 35psi on the road and then offload lowering it? If not maybe you should get a better tire that doesn't have bad rolling resistance. Chances are you can find a tire with more grip and less rolling resistance at 20-25psi than what you have at 35.

Maxxis says that using sealant voids your warranty on your tire. My LBS says you shouldn't use maxxis tires tubeless. Maybe that's your problem.
    Last edited by litany; 06-25-2013 at 03:20 PM.

JeffcoHo
    When all else fail read the directions! So last night when I was riding it noticed it said it right there on the side of the rim.

2.1 tire max PSI 38
    2.8 tire max PSI 35.

So a 2.4 tire is going to be max PSI ~36 times the accuracy of your gauge times the tire getting hot through use or being in the sun times the safety factor that the engineers build into the rim.

Long story short. Tape wide rims with wide rim tape and ride in the 20's.

Thanks guys!