mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Tubeless Confusion - i23 & TL28

I'm looking at building a new set of wheels and have narrowed the rim selection down to the WTB i23 and the Pacenti TL28. At this point I believe I understand the features of both, so I'm not looking for general recommendations or notes. What I am trying to figure out is what I have to do with either rim to run a tubeless set-up.

Is it as simple as buying a set of UST tires and mounting them with some sealant? Do I need tape / rim strips? Are there any tires that don't work? And are there any that "always" work? Is there any major difference between these two rims in this regard?

I apologize for what must seem like a basic question. I'm just a bit thrown off by the fact that neither of these rims seems to be a true UST rim ... they're both based on the UST concept and I'm trying to figure out what that means in the real world.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Both use tape and valve stems. Both will work best with Tubeless Ready or UST spec tires. The i23 is actually made to UST compliant while the Pacenti is a tubeless shape that is very similar to UST spec rims. Neither are designed to run standard tires converted to tubeless.

mtbr member
    Sealant, rim tape and valves is what you need. You should be able to use any of the 29er tubeless ready tires on both rims. They won't work (as well) with non tubeless ready tires. That is Stan's specialty.

I just built up some i23's and currently have a 2bliss Specialized Ground Control on the rear and a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the front. Both work very well so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thank you both - that is the information I was looking for. Regardless of which rims I choose I'll be sure to buy UST tires and a pair of rim strips. I have sealant and valves so I'm close.

I appreciate the quick help!

mtbr member
    fwiw i have had really good luck getting schwalbe TLR tires to seal quickly on the TL28. regular non-tubeless maxxis and kenda worked but were a bit of a struggle even with a strong compressor. once mounted, no issues on the trail with with any of them including the "tougher to get mounted" tires.

mtbr member
    Likewise, I had really good luck with Schwalbe TL Ready tires on i23 rims with Gorilla Tape. Very easy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Buy the loot of the i23 profile it has the little lip on the inner side of the bead hook creating a little grove. (This is the key to UST specific rim designs). The Pacenti rims don't have this little lip, they are smooth right through. So in theory the i23 should seal better and hold air longer with less chance of burping.

That being said, I have the TL28 with slant6 tubeless ready tires sealed up first time and no issues with burping. Just need to pump tires up once a week. Personally I much prefer slimepro sealant rather than stans.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyGuy View Post
    I'll be sure to buy...a pair of rim strips. .

I appreciate the quick help!
    2 week old post, but, you don't need rim strips. WTB TCS tape, or Stans Yellow tape with separate tubeless valve stems.