mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Tubeless 29er tire recommendations

Looking to set up my On One Lurcher for drier spring-through-fall riding with new tires. Want something that will roll fast and have some volume.

Have been running this on my steel 29er Inbred:
    Bontrager 29-3 2.25 in the front (great tread pattern and lots of volume for a 2.25)
    Tubeless 29er tire recommendations-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363139253.480420.jpg
    Geax Saguaro 2.0 in back (light rolling resistance, decent volume for 2.0)
    Tubeless 29er tire recommendations-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363139320.676047.jpg

I am looking for something similar to this for my Lurcher but would like more bite than the Saguaro offers and more volume in both front and back, if possible.

Most riding will be on hard pack or loose over hard pack.

I really like the Bonty tire and might go with that on the front of the Lurcher, if I am not persuaded to try something different.

Thanks for any suggestions!

turtles make me hot
    I've been running a Specialized Ground Control S works on the front and a Tioga Psycho Genius on the rear and I've been very happy with them. The Spesh is 2.3 and the Tioga is 2.25.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

The tread on the Psycho Genius looks good. How hard is it to find a 29er UST version of it?

I like the look of these Geax tread patterns:

Tubeless 29er tire recommendations-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363144023.600738.jpg

Which comes in 29x2.3

And:

Tubeless 29er tire recommendations-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363144110.642209.jpg

Which seems to come in 26er sizes but not 29er (too bad -- looks interesting)

turtles make me hot
    I don't know if there is a UST version. What rims are you running?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

WTB i23s

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Shiggy -- you out there? Would love to get your input on this!

mtbr member
    Michelin RaceR 2.25 Tubeless ready. Actually measures out to 2.3 with big volume. Pretty stout casing but only weighs 680 grams. Mine sealed up easily with 2oz of latex sealant. I run the 2.1 rear, 2.25 front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tubeless 29er tire recommendations-p1050369.jpg  

Tubeless 29er tire recommendations-p1050419.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

How did the Michelin mount? Just read the thread that described difficulties mounting the Wild Grip'R.

mtbr member
    It was snug mounted on American Classic MTB 29 wheels. I needed a tool to get the last 6" of bead over the rim. I think this is rim specific though, I had Crank Bros wheels on a demo I had last year, I couldnt get any tire on those without using tools and it was a PIA with the tools, same tires went on Stan's crest rims without tools. I run Wild GripRs on my 26" bike with AC wheels and same deal, they go on snug and need a tool for the last little bit of bead. Try the Michelin's, I think you will like them, I found the 26" versions to be solid and the sidewalls take a beating, yet they are lightweight.

turtles make me hot
    I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you don't need a UST tire for the i23.

I'm running my tires tubeless on Salsa Semis. No trouble setting them up. My friends, who all use Stan's rims have an even easier time.
    I like turtles

Warrior's Society
    Try running something a bit bigger than a 2.0 rear tire.......personally I am running a 2.25 Geax Saguaro on my the rear of my SS currently. Seems to work pretty well. Running it in the speed direction and get pretty good traction, even in the loose conditions here in So. Cal. Turning it around would make it better, but I just haven't done it.

Another rear to try if you want gobs and gobs of traction...... Mountain King II 2.2. Hooked up in everything I could throw at it.

Personal favorite is the 2.2 Ikon Exo......can't wait til the 2.35 version arrives.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Try running something a bit bigger than a 2.0 rear tire.......personally I am running a 2.25 Geax Saguaro on my the rear of my SS currently. Seems to work pretty well. Running it in the speed direction and get pretty good traction, even in the loose conditions here in So. Cal. Turning it around would make it better, but I just haven't done it.

Another rear to try if you want gobs and gobs of traction...... Mountain King II 2.2. Hooked up in everything I could throw at it.

Personal favorite is the 2.2 Ikon Exo......can't wait til the 2.35 version arrives.

I am running the Saguaro in traction direction on the front and running an AKA on the rear. The front is TNT and the rear tire currently isn't. I have i23 wheels. I love the tire combo. Great speed and traction.

I was running an AKA on the front but it didn't hook up good enough for me. Big difference when I switched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

What about the Geax Gato (see above)? Seems like it would have some of the qualities of the Saguaro (decent volume, fool-proof tubeless) but have more grip/traction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

So, I ordered a 2.3 Geax Gato TNT for the rear on this setup I asked about. Went this route for now because the Geax tires have so much volume and are foolproof tubeless, and the Gato tread pattern will be more aggressive than the Saguaro.

Still not sure what I will do on the front. I looked closely at the Michelin Wild Race'R and the Psycho Genius. Both have great tread patterns, although I could not find a source for a tubeless Psycho Genius,

I realized the tires makers are coming out with new designs soon (check out some cool new WTB tires on the horizon), so have decided to wait and see what the new options are.

For now, I will keep running my WTB Bronson Race 2.2 up front.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am hoping the Gato will give me traction without too much of a weight/rolling resistance penalty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Got my first chance to ride with a Geax Gato 2.3 TNT on the back of my On One Lurcher.

Today's ride was wet and muddy, and I was impressed with this tire (running low-20s psi and tubeless). The trail was all single track with everything from wet/firm, to deep mud, to huge puddles, to slippery clay.

The tire mounted easily on 29er i23 rims, has good volume (2.25 when eyeballing with a tape measure, at low pressure), and has great traction. Gripped well in all situations and only slipped a little on the clay (I think anything would). The trail included lots of wet roots, rocks and various drops/obstacles, along with lots of climbs and descents. The tire did well with all of these.

Didn't get a feel for rolling resistance because of the wet/muddy nature of the ride. But the tread never clogged up, and it never felt sluggish when accelerating or maintaining speed.

Wondering if I should put a Gato on the front, as I am looking for a large-volume fairly aggressive front tire.

Tubeless 29er tire recommendations-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365560719.521569.jpg
    Tubeless 29er tire recommendations-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365560742.845540.jpg
    Tubeless 29er tire recommendations-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365560765.991501.jpg
    Tubeless 29er tire recommendations-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365560795.979262.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I really like my Bontrager 29-4s 2.3 tires. TR, sealed up nice and grips like a mother on anything and everything. Just a tad on the heavy side though, but great tire!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have Conti X-King Protection model 29x2.2 and like them so far. They were like ice skates for the first 10 miles or so until whatever film was on them from the factory wore off but I think that's normal.