mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Truly impressed by WTB Wolverine 2.1 Race

One of my shorter-travel FS bikes has a 26" rear wheel combined with a 650b front. Been running ghetto tubeless for many years and this weekend's desert trail ride was full of rocks and a combo of hardpack with loose over hardpack. Tried a 2.1 Wolverine Race on the back at around 29psi and tubeless. Weight is 532 grams.

I was shocked how predictable and good the braking was at any speed, I could climb seated or standing with little break in traction (normally I ride a 29er HT with semi-slicks on trails with a lot of out-of-saddle climbing so I'm very familiar with body positioning to combat a slipping tire). Thought sidewall flex would be an issue with the light weight but it wasn't a problem on the rocks or off-camber straights.

I'm 165 pounds and am categorized as a Cat 1 racer but in my mind I'm just an above average technical rider who likes to go fast without a number plate.

Now I'm looking for a true tubeless ready 26" rear tire that doesn't weigh a ton and mimics the WTB Wolverine Race's performance. I'd go for a stiffer sidewall as insurance in the harsh desert trails; the Wolverine Race's trail performance was so good I didn't even think about it until after the ride.

I should be studying...
    Yeah, I agree, I have the 2.2 version in the rear of my bike, I run it non-reversed. I run a Weirwolf up front, but I have tinkering with the idea of putting the same tire up front as well.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

... and if we just ...

Love the Wolverine! I have a turner flux ( FS 26er) and have the 2.2 wolverines on both the front and the back. Great front tire. Bites real well when you lean into the turns. Great rear tire for traction as well. Rolls fast enough. I have worn out the rear and am considering replacing it with the 2.1 wolverine or the wierwolf. I have three off road bike set ups and love a variety of tires for different uses, however the wolverine is a great race tire for the front if you are riding in loose over hard pack in rocky or desert terrain. I ride in the central TX hill country myself.