mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Truing the rear wheel..... It's off balance ALL TO ONE SIDE?

Hello I bought a truing staND from Amazon, I forgot the brand name, it's not a common one like Minoura or Park but all the reviews are good and it's from Taiwan

Anyways I put the rear wheel on it and the right side is scraping against the calipers the whole way around the wheel.

It looks like the stand is assembled and lined up correctl.

Could ALL of the spokes be off to one side? I've noticed that I ride leaned to one side apparently because the tires ware on one side more also the brake pads.

Do i need to adjust every single spoke on one side? I hope not.

I watched some videos on youtube and they were like "just put the wheel on the stand and tighten the calipers until you see one side rubbing then tighten or loosen the spoke".

But I dont understand theres no reference point explained in any video.

I could loosen the caliper until one side is not rubbing all the way around but then the other side is WAY far from the caliper i mean like half a inch or more.

I know that im completely ignorant to what im doing so please help explain this to me.

I almost adjusted all the spokes on on side but i figure ill ask you guys first.

Thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You need to get a dishing gauge. Possibly like this one...

Amazon.com : Park Tool WAG-4 Professional Wheel Alignment Gauge : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors

That will tell you if the rim is centered. My Park truing stand was also not properly centered out of the box.

A wheelist
    You need to read up on wheelbuilding and maintenance. You can't just stab in the dark like this or the wheel will be worse than it now is. Get Roger Musson's wheelbuilding e-book. and read it twice before you touch this wheel again.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Truing the rear wheel..... It's off balance ALL TO ONE SIDE?

I second Musson's book. Bill Mould's dvd's are also great.

I was remiss in not telling you to educate yourself first

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis View Post
    I was remiss in not telling you to educate yourself first
    Yep, a dishing gauge is pointless if he doesn't know about adjusting spokes.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    +1000 for Roger Mussons book.
    urmb
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike. ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbpete
    Doing this correctly will certainly help with a wheelbuilding book and some more understanding of spokes, tension and dishing.

You can never fully trust the centering capability of a truing stand that's why a dishing gauge is a very useful tool.

Another way to see of the rim is centered on the hub is to flip it in the truing stand. You will know the rim is centered if it lines of with one of the calipers either way the rim is flipped in the stand. So, remove one of the calipers and check the dish using the other one.