Arnborg strik

True Precision hubs arrived today

And they are a work of art, very beautyful. and they have instant engagement.
    I have had Hadley,CK I9 and they all have fast poe, but this hub takes poe
    to another level. It actual feels weird when you turn the freehub by hand.

They will be build with Supercomp spokes,alu-nipples and DT XR400 rims
    Will be mounted on my Canyon Lux MR (when it arrives)

I also got a set of prebuild wheels for my Pivot Mach 4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-015.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-014.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-013.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-012.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-011.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-008.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-001.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-006.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-010.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-009.jpg  

Single dad, and proud of it!

Arnborg strik

Here is the prebuild wheelset

Also very nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-016.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-017.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-019.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-020.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-022.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-023.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-024.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-025.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-029.jpg  

True Precision hubs arrived today-true-precision-dt-swiss-ex-1750-030.jpg  

Single dad, and proud of it!

my body breaks the falls
    Stunning! How'd you get the blue? I thought they only came in "Stealth black."
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    True Precision stuff is outstanding, some of my favorite hubs. I know what you mean about it feeling weird turning the freehub in your hand. There is ZERO movement when it engages.

transmitter~receiver
    Very nice looking. Awfully heavy though.
    I'd be very interested to see the internals.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    I'd be very interested to see the internals.
    There are a couple pics on this page: http://www.dropmachine.com/Reviews/h...hope-a581.html
    $500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy
    There are a couple pics on this page: http://www.dropmachine.com/Reviews/h...hope-a581.html
    Interesting, thanks. I'll read a bit more in detail later.
    Couldn't help noticing $1,042 for a Chris King hubset?!? WTF is that guy smoking? He says they're in a league of their own cost wise but I9s are more expensive.
    Back on topic: I'm left wondering how those true precisions actually work. Needle bearing that only rolls one way? Anyone?

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    Couldn't help noticing $1,042 for a Chris King hubset?!? WTF is that guy smoking?
    He's not smoking anything, unless you stupidly assume that all reviews are from U.S. sources, quoting U.S. dollar prices.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    He's not smoking anything, unless you stupidly assume that all reviews are from U.S. sources, quoting U.S. dollar prices.
    *edit*
    I'm stupid.
    That's all you need to know, so continue to believe it.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 08-26-2010 at 02:50 PM.

I'm stupid.
    Maybe not as much as I originally thought, since you're intelligent enough to admit it.

I didn't realize the exchange rate was 2:1. Oh wait, it wasn't even close. So why is it that a Chris King hubset costs $1,042 Canadian? And why is it that in Canada Kings are more expensive than I9s? He didn't give a price basis despite talking about it quite a bit.
    Here you go again with the silly assumptions, purporting that straight exchange rate is the only factor determining how goods will be priced in different countries relative to one another. You're welcome to contact some Canadian CK retailers and see what prices they give you. Might not be the exact SRP quoted, but I'd be surprised if you could find any noticeably lower pricing.

transmitter~receiver
    *deleted*

That's all you need to know, so continue to believe it.
    I don't believe it in the slightest, but I will admit to having had some fun with a quick intardnet TKO.

Back on topic, I've always been intrigued by the T.P. rear despite a bit of extra heft. I've noticed a couple of anecdotal posts on MTBR commenting on possible weakness to contamination of the mech. I don't want to unfairly perpetuate this since there just isn't enough numbers out there yet to form any reasonable conclusions based on a decent sampling size of users. However, with the cost for hubs, and effort for build I'm not likely to be an early adopter ("early" being an odd description given the Stealth hubs have been aruond for several years now already), especially since much of my riding year round involves a lot of moisture.

transmitter~receiver
    I don't believe it in the slightest, but I will admit to having had some fun with a quick intardnet TKO.
    Sure ya do, otherwise you would have answered my question or said you don't know rather than putting words in my mouth so you could put a notch in your "intardnet" belt. Congratulations! I guess if it makes you feel so good about yourself you'll do anything.
    I think it's interesting that Canadians would pay a 100% premium for a US-manufactured product in consideration of NAFTA. Surely it's not Chris hosing his Canadian retailers.

I'd like to know how they get a needle bearing to roll only one way, even though it took 60% more metal than King uses.

I think it's interesting that Canadians would pay a 100% premium for a US-manufactured product in consideration of NAFTA.
    We don't! A reasonable guess on my part would be that the amount of CK product acquired by Canadian customers through international/U.S. e-tailers and grey market sources is way higher by proportion compared to most other products. It's one of those scenarios where a slightly higher cost is acceptable to buy locally within the established distribution system, but this is so far over the top that the dollars simply don't get put into the CK channel by consumers.

Surely it's not Chris hosing his Canadian retailers.
    The disparity in pricing has long been attributed to the distributor markup, but the effect isn't nearly as extreme with most other U.S. products. Maybe that means CK is almost charging full U.S. retail pop to their Canadian distribution system, who then marks up accordingly. Except for those on the inside at CK or the distributor, I guess we'll never know.

I'd like to know how they get a needle bearing to roll only one way, even though it took 60% more metal than King uses.
    I've heard the mech described by others as a "sprag clutch", which is well-known in other uses. I cannot verify this myself since I have no knowledge on the topic, but if you're interested I'm sure there's material out there to explain the operation.

transmitter~receiver
    We don't! A reasonable guess on my part would be that the amount of CK product acquired by Canadian customers through international/U.S. e-tailers and grey market sources is way higher by proportion compared to most other products. It's one of those scenarios where a slightly higher cost is acceptable to buy locally within the established distribution system, but this is so far over the top that the dollars simply don't get put into the CK channel by consumers.

The disparity in pricing has long been attributed to the distributor markup, but the effect isn't nearly as extreme with most other U.S. products. Maybe that means CK is almost charging full U.S. retail pop to their Canadian distribution system, who then marks up accordingly. Except for those on the inside at CK or the distributor, I guess we'll never know.

I've heard the mech described by others as a "sprag clutch", which is well-known in other uses. I cannot verify this myself since I have no knowledge on the topic, but if you're interested I'm sure there's material out there to explain the operation.
    Now this is useful info!
    I know what a sprag clutch is and I think the principle might be the same (wedging instead of positive stops like a pawl system), but a sprag doesn't use rollers (so no needle bearings). It would make sense with the weight, since the forces generated in a sprag-type system are very large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've also heard it referred to as "like a sprag clutch"
    think that means it's really is a sprag but noone wants to say it's not an original idea
    i miss the silent clutch shimanos...

and yeah, CK hubs are STUPIDLY expensive up here.
    so's White Industries. Paul's. Phil's. etc.
    doesn't stop craigslist folk from lowballing when you DO put them for sale cheap.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    I've also heard it referred to as "like a sprag clutch"
    think that means it's really is a sprag but noone wants to say it's not an original idea
    i miss the silent clutch shimanos...
    it's not technically a sprag if it's got rollers (needle bearings), even though they work the same way as the wedges in a sprag. the sprag concept with rollers was called a freewheel, so they probably just left the description alone rather than cause confusion or develop another term. Either way its definitely not an original idea and due to the multiplication of forces in a wedge-type system, not suitable for light weight applications. The "instant" engagement and silent coasting are pretty nice, though. I'm assuming from the pictures I've seen, the weight, and the "sprag-like" description that it's a wedge-type engagement using needle bearings, which would also make it fairly susceptible to contamination due to the tight tolerance required for the instant engagement.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 08-26-2010 at 09:10 PM.