mtbr member
    May 2008

Trouble setting tubeless up with a Racing Ralph

I just got some racing ralphs and mounted both on Arch EX rims with 2 scoops of stans. The front maintained pressure but the rear seems very porous and gets completely flat the next day.

I've never had any problems going tubeless with other tires. I guess I'll try soapy water to see where the leak(s) are coming from.

Any other suggestions? Have others had issues with racing ralphs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not out of the ordinary with the Ralphs. They have thin, porous sidewalls. It can take a couple of days, with a few inflations, to get them sealed up. Just reinflate, shake around, and wait and see. I think Schwalbe even warns about this on their website. The exact same has happened to me, and they'll seal up soon enough.

mtbpete
    That's very common with any tire that is not tubeless. Using soapy water to detect the leaks and then shaking the sealant in that area will solve the problem, or you can just spend more time shaking sealant at each area of the tire. Concentrate the sealant in one spot, shake, then rotate slightly. Riding only spins the sealant to the center of the tire and doesn't do a good job of getting at the sidewalls.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well I'm three rides in and the tire is still losing too much pressure with every ride. I've been running tubeless for years and used dozens of tires, and never had any problems like this.
    I've inspected everything I can think of -- made sure there's still plenty of sealant, done the hand shake thing, inflated the tire a bunch, soapy water, checked the valve stem multiple times. I am using a new American Classic valve stem. I noticed that some of the reviews complain about these valve stems leaking -
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: American Classic Bicycle Tubeless Wheels Valve Stems

I'll probably switch back to my stans valve stem and see if that improves things

It's about showing up.
    My RRs sealed fine after about 3 days. Same with my Ardents but i still leave to watch the front one.

Before you go spending money, have you tried finding the source of the leaks by submerging the whole inflated tire in a tank/sink/tub?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Which RaRa version is it? I set up an older snake skin and it aired up fine but took a day or two to seal completely using stans. I set up a new SS "tubeless ready" and it seated with a floor pump and held air perfectly without sealant overnight...both on stans rims.

mtbr member
    Try this... pump up the tire to 35psi, then submerse it under water to find out exactly where the leak is, then make sure you shake stans in that area or leave overnight. IMO, this is way more effective in finding the leak than spraying soapy water. It will also tell you immediately whether your stems are leaking. This was a suggestion I got off one of these forums here and it worked perfectly for me.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Which RaRa version is it? I set up an older snake skin and it aired up fine but took a day or two to seal completely using stans. I set up a new SS "tubeless ready" and it seated with a floor pump and held air perfectly without sealant overnight...both on stans rims.
    Probably not the tubeless ready version, if it didn't instantly work with stans it is probably the "performance" line that costs 40 bucks and won't seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yep, it's the performance version. When I initially inflated it with stans, I could see stans leaking out of the sidewalls. I love the tires -- great tread, light weight, but the sidewalls seem too thin.

Good call on submerging the thing in water. That'll help pinpoint if the leak is coming from the valve stem or tire.

I road it today and it does seem to be getting better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ditch Stans and use Caffelatex or Revosealant.

Will seal up in 30seconds.

I struggled with Stans for months and months before seeking another sealant - and it worked. Stan's and alike (Joe's, WTB) just don't seal micro pores on schwalbe tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by mjduct View Post
    Probably not the tubeless ready version, if it didn't instantly work with stans it is probably the "performance" line that costs 40 bucks and won't seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I set up the performance version of the NN in 5 minutes without issue and they're holding fine for months.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The tire seems a bit better but I'm still losing PSI each ride. I submerged it in water and found a very small leak. I tried to get as much sealant in that spot as possible.

I also found a new stans valve stem so i'm going to swap out valve stems. Maybe it's just a fluke thing, but I'm not going to buy the tires or valve stems again. I've never had a problem with any of my other tubeless setup in the last 5+ years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    When I RR's installed, the LBS had to put in 4 oz/tire of Stan's before they held pressure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Use another sealant. I've had RaRas and RoRos seal (and hold!) after a week, and then leak out (completely - to flat - during one night) a month after on sidewalls, while bike dormant (winter). I gave up on Stans for the initial seal - just isn't dependable.

Just don't mix the new sealant with Stans.