Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442

    Trouble locating thru-bolt 9mm or 10mm solid axle front disc hub (to fit in QR fork)

    All evidence seems to indicate a 20mm front axle is stiffer than 15mm, which is better than 9mm bolt through which can then be better than QR.
    A great breakdown one the various types I found here: Hubs and axles - confused

    SO, wheres all the solid axle front hubs to beef up our forks made for QR?
    Yes, Chris King or DT if you can afford it... but anything under $100?

    All I can find so far is trials hubs, but they are not true bolt-thru, they use individual bolts on each side. The only solid axle so far is the very heavy SURLY new hubs, now replaced by
    "ultra new" with the loose bolts and easy QR conversion.


    Bonz, DMR, Trialtech, NEON, and SURLY all seem to not be using 9mm bolts - should I care? are they still stiffer than a QR?

    What happened to the 9mm or 10mm solid front axle in a QR style or even bolt through in a high grade aluminum? Are they only reserved for the $200+ hubs?
    Last edited by roobydoo; 11-06-2012 at 08:26 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,871
    Look on Ebay for Specialized front hubs

    Specialized Stout Downhill Disc Brake Front Hub | eBay
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    545
    Transition bikes has hubs that are convertible to 9mm TA

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,847
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    All evidence seems to indicate a 20mm front axle is stiffer than 15mm, which is better than 9mm bolt through which can then be better than QR.
    A great breakdown one the various types I found here: Hubs and axles - confused

    SO, wheres all the solid axle front hubs to beef up our forks made for QR?
    Yes, Chris King or DT if you can afford it... but anything under $100?

    All I can find so far is trials hubs, but they are not true bolt-thru, they use individual bolts on each side. The only solid axle so far is the very heavy SURLY new hubs, now replaced by
    "ultra new" with the loose bolts and easy QR conversion.


    Bonz, DMR, Trialtech, NEON, and SURLY all seem to not be using 9mm bolts - should I care? are they still stiffer than a QR?

    What happened to the 9mm or 10mm solid front axle in a QR style or even bolt through in a high grade aluminum? Are they only reserved for the $200+ hubs?
    1. There are no 10mm front axles for QR suspension forks. They are all 9mm.

    2. Get a cheaper Shimano hub and put a bolt on axle in it. It might be stiff than a QR. Sounds like it would make you feel better.

    3. Not really worth worrying about it. IME large diameter hub end cap faces and a good skewer make more difference than a through bolt skewer. Just a Shimano skewer or a bolt on skewer will do the job just fine, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,796
    solid axle and heavy go hand in hand. the ultra new is a good hub.
    how can you have a solid axle with a QR? where would the skewer go?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442
    The specialized stout hub is 15mm. Will have to see if they make 9mm caps for it.

    Shiggy, your comment about large body and large end caps make good sense from a load bearing standpoint. Hubs targeted at trials bike market seem to follow this format.

    I really like my DMR and Bonz hubs I have already on my fatbike but the front hub offering from these mfg don't seem as beefy.

    Still investigating further but Hope hubs look like a top possibility.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    The specialized stout hub is 15mm. Will have to see if they make 9mm caps for it.
    No, it's 9mm...the seller is just stupid
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    No, it's 9mm...the seller is just stupid
    Thanks, could save a bundle over DT RWS hubs which are $150+ used and almost $300 new around here.

  9. #9
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,226
    I recently scored one of those Specialized hubs with an RWS for 51 bucks including delivery.
    I like turtles

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    442
    Looks like I may be going the DT w/ RWS route - the specialized hubs have as many haters as fans, looks like you get what you pay for - a cheaper hub.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,871
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Looks like I may be going the DT w/ RWS route - the specialized hubs have as many haters as fans, looks like you get what you pay for - a cheaper hub.
    Hope and Hadley both make 9mm thru bolt hubs if you want something nicer than the Specialized but cheaper than the DT
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •