Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Lot's of very sharp, coarse lava rocks here in Hawaii.

Been riding pacestar Racing Ralph's without snakeskin. Lot's of sidewall cuts and traction not good in wet rocks/roots. A rock will be hidden in the grass, flip up as rear wheel rolls over it and cut the sidewall. Got Nobby Nic with snakeskin/pacestar and no problems so far after several mos. Great grip in dry, less in wet but better than Ra Ra.

My main comment is that the knobs of all the Pacestars have always held up well even with destructive lava rocks, not ripping off knobs. Never took the chance with trailstar. Not sure it would last long here.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    I have ridden the HD's front and rear in Trailstar. By far the best front tire I have ridden. In the rear it gripped well while climbing, but I found that it stood the bike up when recovering from a slide. Essentially too much grip for my taste. It does wear heavily early, but there is no loss in grip due to the wear. It just looks very scary. The wear did slow down after a few weeks. Riding has been Socal rocks and chunk, Mammoth and Norcal/Dville/Santa Cruz.

Friends have run the Pacestar version in the front and found it lacking grip relative to the Trailstar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    preform? nice spelling. jesus.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Trailstar may hold up longer than Pacestar

I have chewed up a pacestar HD very quickly on the loose rock Colorado trails. On my second bike a tried the softer Trailstar compound and to my surprise it actually held up better. The pacestar nobs looked like a set of rotten teeth after just a small number of rides. Keep in mind the "soft compound -> fast wear" may not be true in many cases. At least for my kind of riding (loose rocks, technical climbs) the pacestar is simply a bad tire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2