Thread: TPI 60 or 120

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

TPI 60 or 120

I am looking at two tires. Both the same model bontrager XR2. One is 120 tpi and the other is 60 tpi. There is about 100 gram weight difference between the two. I am a beginner to intermediate rider on a Trek Fuel EX. Am I going to notice a difference between the tires? The lighter / 120 TPI tire is $15 more per tire.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Personally, I would pay the $15 extra to drop 100g of rotating weight.

However, I do not know what the "catch" is. Perhaps the 120tpi casing is much thinner, so more susceptible to being damaged, for example. As a big guy riding rough terrain it is often worth it to me to run heavier, tougher tires for dependability.

Can somebody else chime in who knows more about thread counts and the pros/cons?

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by thrasher_s View Post
    Perhaps the 120tpi casing is much thinner, so more susceptible to being damaged, for example. As a big guy riding rough terrain it is often worth it to me to run heavier, tougher tires for dependability.
    You nailed it.

To add:
    120 tpi is more "supple" so it will conform to terrain better, but less supportive for big hits (pinch flats & folding over sidewalls).

Usually 120tpi is reserved for race tires, and I've had some where the 120tpi sidewalls wear out sooner than the tread.

60 tpi = durability
    120 tpi = (max pedally) speed

P