mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Titanium QR skewers?

I need to get some skewers for my new wheels, but I am wondering what the deal is with Ti skewers....I know they're flexier, and I've heard some people don't recommend them - why?

They just hold the wheel on the bike - the force is on the axle right?

If it matters, I have a susp. fork, but hardtail frame....the new hubs are CK

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ScaryFast~
    I need to get some skewers for my new wheels, but I am wondering what the deal is with Ti skewers....I know they're flexier, and I've heard some people don't recommend them - why?

They just hold the wheel on the bike - the force is on the axle right?

If it matters, I have a susp. fork, but hardtail frame....the new hubs are CK
    Ti skewers will "stretch" more than steel along the axis of the skewer / axel. You would notice the difference (if you could) when the fork is in torsion - being twisted by steering forces. Chris King, among others, recommends against using Ti skewers.

umm...yea
    Feb 2004

Good job! For the record

Quote Originally Posted by IFrider1
    Ti skewers will "stretch" more than steel along the axis of the skewer / axel. You would notice the difference (if you could) when the fork is in torsion - being twisted by steering forces. Chris King, among others, recommends against using Ti skewers.
    Titanium is more elastic & "flexy" than steel. So theoretically speaking, what you said would be true.

BUT......I ran a pair of Nuke Proof "twisty" (non-QR) skewers on my Bomber Z1 equipped full-sus bike for years with not a hint of added flex in the front or rear. And my bike happened to have CK hubs, front and rear.

The pair of skewers were lighter than a single Shimano one. A bit pricey, though.

mtbr member

don't use them with a disk brake

Quote Originally Posted by TeamTwentyFour
    Titanium is more elastic & "flexy" than steel. So theoretically speaking, what you said would be true.

BUT......I ran a pair of Nuke Proof "twisty" (non-QR) skewers on my Bomber Z1 equipped full-sus bike for years with not a hint of added flex in the front or rear. And my bike happened to have CK hubs, front and rear.

The pair of skewers were lighter than a single Shimano one. A bit pricey, though.
    disk brakes put too much force on it to go with ti qr

a legend in his own mind

I don't use ti w/ discs.

It's because the braking forces are different with disc brakes. It puts a lot of twisting and stretching on the axles and skewers. But on my cross bike I have cantis. Check these little gems out. Carbon handles with ti skewers, 67 grams. Ummm, wheel candy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I think this is the worst thing you've ever done Homer."
    "Oh Marge you say that so much it has no meaning."