Thread: Titanium QR

mtbr member

Titanium QR

I have seen comments that cautioned against using titanium quick releases on mountain bikes. However, I have a pair of ancient American Classics that have been on my old hardtail for years. It seems to me that racers would be using ti QR's as standard procedure, and Salsa offers MTB specific units so is there any reason why these shouldn't be used, especially for XC?

mtbr member
    Last time I checked Salsa's website, they advised against using their Ti QRs with disc brake hubs. Ti does tend to stretch more than alternative materials, and thus the QR skewer may not clamp the hub as firmly in the dropouts. Most racers focus on reducing rotating weight, and under normal conditions the skewer doesn't rotate.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    Just use steel, were talking grams here...

Quote Originally Posted by Salsa
    Our Ti Flip-Offs are as beautiful to the touch as they are to the eye. Lightweight. Smooth. Recommended for Road Use or Rigid Front MTB Use only. Available in a whole host of colors.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike
    I have seen comments that cautioned against using titanium quick releases on mountain bikes. However, I have a pair of ancient American Classics that have been on my old hardtail for years. It seems to me that racers would be using ti QR's as standard procedure, and Salsa offers MTB specific units so is there any reason why these shouldn't be used, especially for XC?
    Rear, hard tail. Fine.
    Front, suspension fork. Ti stretches enough to let the hub move in the dropouts.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

MONKEYMAN
    I can't share experience with skewers but I'd say anything made from titanium which is threaded should be avoided.

I've stripped ti crank bolts and I actually twisted the head off of a titanium rotor bolt (while using a torque wrench no less)

There's a point when the grams are there for a very good reason.

Go with steel. eat extra protein and blast your quads.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    I used a set of Control Tech ti bolt on skewers for about ten years. This was on a HT with front suspension and V-brakes. Never a slip. They clamped better than my steel Salsa QRs. However, now that I have disc brakes, I don't use them, since Magura says that Ti is a no no with disc brakes.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Rear, hard tail. Fine.
    Front, suspension fork. Ti stretches enough to let the hub move in the dropouts.
    Rear hard tail with rim brakes fine...no go with disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    I can't share experience with skewers but I'd say anything made from titanium which is threaded should be avoided.

I've stripped ti crank bolts and I actually twisted the head off of a titanium rotor bolt (while using a torque wrench no less)

There's a point when the grams are there for a very good reason.

Go with steel. eat extra protein and blast your quads.
    This makes a lot of sense

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Really?

I am using DT Swiss Titanium Mountain Bike RWS Skewers on my new 29er build. Are you guys telling me that I need to purchase a new set or that this is a safety issue? Seems like DT Swiss would not sell these as mountain bike skewers if they were not safe to use with disc brake bikes.

This is for a HT XC race bike. I weigh about 160.