Just Ride

Tires that hook up in mud

What are the best tires for mud? Went on a nice muddy ride tonight. By far the most mud I've ever ridden in and 8 miles at that. It wasn't the sloppy suck you in type stuff but I guess a skim coat is a good way to explain it? Anyway, my SB8's are horrible in mud and I've known this for some time. Even still it was a very fun ride and I was able to take a few corners at a decent speed without washing out the front. Though it was still quite squirrely. Are there tires that hook up in mud like the tires that hook up on hardpack?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Commit or eat sh!t
    Schwalbe Muddy Mary, Maxxis WetScream, etc. Anything that looks like MX tires. These tend to not work well in dry conditions.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    What are the best tires for mud? Went on a nice muddy ride tonight. By far the most mud I've ever ridden in and 8 miles at that. It wasn't the sloppy suck you in type stuff but I guess a skim coat is a good way to explain it? Anyway, my SB8's are horrible in mud and I've known this for some time. Even still it was a very fun ride and I was able to take a few corners at a decent speed without washing out the front. Though it was still quite squirrely. Are there tires that hook up in mud like the tires that hook up on hardpack?
    Compared to SB8s, almost ANY tire hooks up in mud. I do not even like them when it is just wet.

No, even the best mud tires do not corner like a good tire on hardpack.
    Partial traction is part of the fun.

Look for an open tread. The deeper the mud, the deeper the tread should be.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

No good in rock gardens..
    Maxxis Medusa 2.1 is a good option and doesn't entirely suck on hard terrain, either.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    When the rain hit I put a schwalbe Dirty Dan 2.00 in the rear which cut through the mud and hooked up like a gem. On the front I ran the continental Baron 2.3 which allowed me to really ride the trails and rail through the corners. I love the baron so much I'm leaving it on the front. Took the DD of the back though as it is strictly a mud tire only and replace it with the conti trail king 2.2. This Combo rocks I got 4 KOM's on my ride tonight with that set up. I like having a few different tires in my in my line up to really get the most out of the different conditions!!

Just Ride
    cool thanks for the info guys!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!