mtbr member

Tires for Fruita , moab and cortez co

Hello all ,
    first off my apologies if this is harsh spam , I searched and didn,t find what i was looking for.

I live in Vancouver BC , run an kona coilair supreme and run Maxxis EXO minnions for tires.
    I am planning a trip which will take me to Moab , Fruita , and finish in Cortez.
    I rode Moab about fifteen years ago and had a set of tioga city slickers for the slick rock and rode fat 66 dh 2.3 for porcupine and the rest.

I need advice for the best all round tires for me to enjoy these three areas.

I am an aggressive rider , consider myself advanced in my skill set and confidence .

Guys up here in vancouver have enjoyed mutanoraptors and larsens. while visiting these places.

What do you all have to say . I have room in my budget for one set of tires, and will be looking for some aggresive rides while on my trip

Thanks

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder22
    Hello all ,
    first off my apologies if this is harsh spam , I searched and didn,t find what i was looking for.

I live in Vancouver BC , run an kona coilair supreme and run Maxxis EXO minnions for tires.
    I am planning a trip which will take me to Moab , Fruita , and finish in Cortez.
    I rode Moab about fifteen years ago and had a set of tioga city slickers for the slick rock and rode fat 66 dh 2.3 for porcupine and the rest.

I need advice for the best all round tires for me to enjoy these three areas.

I am an aggressive rider , consider myself advanced in my skill set and confidence .

Guys up here in vancouver have enjoyed mutanoraptors and larsens. while visiting these places.

What do you all have to say . I have room in my budget for one set of tires, and will be looking for some aggresive rides while on my trip

Thanks
    Minions
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

addicted to chunk
    Spent a week in durango & moab & 1 day in cortez last year. Spec captain control's treated me well out there.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Minions
    really , I never would have guessed that . I figured that the knobbies would be too flexy , and squishy.
    I am taking my Minions with me , but like i said have room in my budget for one new set too.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

One tire for all those locations or are you changing between sites?

Surface conditions vary greatly between those locations, so it's not really possible to find one tire that's perfect for all. Having said that, there are plenty of options that will split the difference well and give you a good time at all three. One thing they all have in common is they are all dry areas, especially compared to your usual stomping grounds.

FWIW, here's a few setups I've found useful across that spectrum of riding:

Rubber Queens F(2.4)&R(2.2)
    Fat Alberts (2.4) F&R
    Advantage 2.4 F & Nevegal 2.35 R

None of these setups is light, but those places aren't known for long climbs, so weight shouldn't be your top criterion.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

really , I never would have guessed that . I figured that the knobbies would be too flexy , and squishy.
    I am taking my Minions with me , but like i said have room in my budget for one new set too.
    I said Minions because you already use them, like them and kept saying "aggressive." As others have mentioned, there is varied terrain in those locations and no one tire will be ideal. Not like the Minion tread is that tall and squirmy.

Moab will wear out/ trash whatever you use.
    Fruita is more hard pack with some loose and rock.
    Cortez is looser/rockier.

Take you current tires (and spares) and buy new locally if needed
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    bump

bump
    No bumps, please, except on the trails.
    mtbtires.com