mtbr member
    Jun 2017

Tire width vs rim width

I see where some tire manufacturers list specific info for their tires, but is there a rule of thumb they're working from? Sheldon says 1.5 to 2x tire width to rim width, does that hold true for MTB tires as well as road tires? I wouldn't think so or we'd all be on 50-60mm rims for a basic 2.1 tire.

I'm thinking about building up a spare wheelset with a rim that can accommodate a 29x3 for trail and a 29x2.5 for pavement, and trying to find the right rim width.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Yootah View Post
    I see where some tire manufacturers list specific info for their tires, but is there a rule of thumb they're working from?

I'm thinking about building up a spare wheelset with a rim that can accommodate a 29x3 for trail and a 29x2.5 for pavement, and trying to find the right rim width.

Most people will say 35mm to 45mm. If you want to split the difference I guess you get a 40mm (internal) rim. Personally, I have a 2.5 on a 19mm rim and it's fine besides a slight wobble that I'm trying to get rid of. But most people on here follow the advice of 2.5/2.6 is 35mm, 2.8 is 40mm, 3.0 is 45mm. It does not have to be that wide of a rim, but that's what's recommended...
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

mtbr member
    Sheldon says 1.5 to 2x tire width to rim width, does that hold true for MTB tires as well as road tires? I wouldn't think so or we'd all be on 50-60mm rims for a basic 2.1 tire.
    I think you're working it backwards. You wouldn't want a rim that was wider than your tire.

My 2.15 (55) tires are on a 26 (internal) rim, and they do fine. That'd be a ration of 2.11 tire to rim, so maybe close enough for Sheldon's calculation.

I run my 2.5" (63mm?) an a 40mm rim, which is 1.6, so right at the low end of that range. I chose the 40mm rim, because I knew I wanted to run 2.5s, but I also thought I might use them for tires up to 3" some day. With 3" tires on a 40mm rim, the ration is 1.9. So that's handy. By your (Sheldon's) formula, my 40mm rim is good for 2.5 to 3" tires, which is exactly what I wanted it for.

I didn't any calculations, though, I don't think. I just gathered info on what rims people were using with the tires I was looking at. I wanted to start with a 2.5" tire, but I wanted the option of going up to 3", and I didn't want a 2nd rim (my 40mm rim is already my 2nd wheelset). I picked a rim that seemed close to as wide as most people used for 2.5 and as narrow as most used for 3", and it seemed to work out.

mtbr member
    I see where some tire manufacturers list specific info for their tires, but is there a rule of thumb they're working from? Sheldon says 1.5 to 2x tire width to rim width, does that hold true for MTB tires as well as road tires? I wouldn't think so or we'd all be on 50-60mm rims for a basic 2.1 tire.

I have 2.6 tires on a 35mm internal width wheels. I have no issues with putting 3.0 tires on these wheels. I would not go less than 2.6 for 35mm wheels. I am at the limit for flattening the tread.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have run 29x2.5-3.0in tires on my 36mm rims with no issues. I have i9 BC360s and they are great. They are very stiff and don't flex at all. this helps me a lot and allows me to push the size of tire. I can run a 29x3 and not rub at any point on my frame because there is no flex. I've read about people with the bike, different rims, and they rub with smaller tires due to rim flex. I feel the rim could handle over a 3in tire, but that wouldn't work in my bike's frame/fork.

As long as you keep things reasonable and use common sense you'll be fine. Don't put a 3in tire on a 20mm rim and don't put a 2.2in tire on a 40mm rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Not every tire that say a certain width is designed exactly the same. Some can be higher volume. A higher volume casing then gets paired with a more rounded tread profile. That combo can make use of a wider rim without squaring off the tread. So you have to match the rim width to the tire and how you're going to use it. 40mm inner goes with a 2.6 Bonty XR2 Team. High volume very rounded tread profile.

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Not every tire that say a certain width is designed exactly the same. Some can be higher volume. A higher volume casing then gets paired with a more rounded tread profile. That combo can make use of a wider rim without squaring off the tread. So you have to match the rim width to the tire and how you're going to use it. 40mm inner goes with a 2.6 Bonty XR2 Team. High volume very rounded tread profile.

This may be my problem with the "2.8" WTB I have on a 25mm rim, that measures closer to 2.6. The tread is very rounded, and I'm having trouble making certain turns at speed. The tire is great in slow stuff but not so great over 8 mph. The other problem is that the front wheel is 9x100mm and they don't really make anything wider than 25mm unless you order a wheel to be built with the older axle spacing. If and when this tire wears out I'm going to try a Maxxis 2.8 that has a thicker casing and is more squared, hopefully that will make up for the relatively narrow rim. I'll order a 35mm rim built later, but that will be for a 27.5 wheel; the WTB tire is 26 x 2.8.
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

The 2018 tires may or may not have a similar construction to a 2015. The tire designer has a target and uses knobs, construction, etc... to achieve goals. You can email the tire manufacturer about a specific tire and he will let you know the rim range it might be used on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Couple month ego I bought one mountain bike but recently my bile Tyre dameged, can anyone suggest me which company type will be best for my Bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by javed720 View Post
    Couple month ego I bought one mountain bike but recently my bile Tyre dameged, can anyone suggest me which company type will be best for my Bike?
    This is a good subject to discuss with locals.
    Depending on where we ride, dirt, rocks, roots, dry, wet, the optimal tire is not the same. On this site there are forums by area or a bike shop might be helpfull.
    How much was your bike retailing for?
    What tires were on it?
    Do you need lots of grip?
    Do you focus on rolling quality?

Barely in control
    Here's what I've come up with; just my opinions based on how I like the bike to feel. All tire widths are casing, measured.

i22mm: 2.2" round (vittoria gato, barzo, xr3, Cross King)
    i25mm: 2.4" semi slick (Morsa, Rock Razor, Minion SS) and 2.4" round (XR4, Hans Dampf) worked ok.
    i30mm: 2.4" round (Butcher, Breakout, xr4, Hans Dampf, Martello)
    i35mm: 2.6" round (Goma, Barzo)

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have a set of I9 Enduro 310's that came assembled with a bike I ordered, with 29 x 2.25 tires. The inner width of the wheel is 31mm. Any opinions as I'm sorta feeling uncomfortable running that combo on my local trails here (Northeast, Rocky, rooty, bumpy, etc)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Simply email the tire manufacturer asking the range of rims width it is designed for.