mtbr member

Tire Recs for rocky, dusty, gravel conditions

I'm looking for any suggestions the mass of intelligence on this board can provide me regarding a good "racy" tire for race course with a section of rock gardens, some short fast downhill on loose gravel and dirt and also a decent amount of climbing. So the rub is I am looking for something with a good stable grip in those conditions but fairly low rolling resistance for racing.

I currently run 2.0 Kenda Karmas (at about 32-35 psi and with NoTubes) and I love them on most courses but on the rocks and loose over hardpack their performance suffers some and is just not overly stable. I am considering tires like the WTB Epic Wolf 2.1 and the Ritchey Excavaders. Does any one have feedback on those tires or recommendations for a good tire that would meet my needs for these conditions?

Any info is much appreciated.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Lungs_on_Fire
    I'm looking for any suggestions the mass of intelligence on this board can provide me regarding a good "racy" tire for race course with a section of rock gardens, some short fast downhill on loose gravel and dirt and also a decent amount of climbing. So the rub is I am looking for something with a good stable grip in those conditions but fairly low rolling resistance for racing.

I currently run 2.0 Kenda Karmas (at about 32-35 psi and with NoTubes) and I love them on most courses but on the rocks and loose over hardpack their performance suffers some and is just not overly stable. I am considering tires like the WTB Epic Wolf 2.1 and the Ritchey Excavaders. Does any one have feedback on those tires or recommendations for a good tire that would meet my needs for these conditions?

I ride Continental Explorer Pros quite a bit and I love them. They roll well, but work great in the rocks. They aren't exactly a "racy" tire, but they work well for me. For something racier, I'd probably look at the Hutchinson Pythons or something along those lines.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lungs_on_Fire

Look at the Pana racer Cinder 1.95. The 2.25 version is great in the conditions you describe but heavy. The smaller tire is race-light. The Conti Explorer Pro and Vapor Pro (dry only) are good choices, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common