lurker
    Feb 2008

Tire Recommendations for Montana? (All Mountain Bike)

I'm in the process of trying to figure out what new tire to try since mine are getting pretty worn down. I'm relatively new to mountain biking and have been using the stock Kenda Nevegals 26x2.35 120 tpi folding bead tires that came with my Giant Reign 1 2010.

I ride the **** out of these trails (most of my riding is done here but I do travel and plan on doing different mtb trails in montana/wyoming):
    Zimmerman Trail Mountain Bike Trail in Billings, Montana || SINGLETRACKS.COM

And I've done some fairly tough in my opinion downhill on this trail recently and love it:
    Silver And Basin Lakes Trail Mountain Bike Trail in Red Lodge, Montana || SINGLETRACKS.COM

I want to try a similar tire to those instead of just buying the Nevegals again just to see if I'm missing anything. Maybe I need 2 different sets? One for downhill and one for my normal trail riding? From my own research I was sort of interested in these: Maxxis Ignitor / Panaracer XC Fire Pro / Nobby Nics.

Anyone have any advice on what to try? I'm open to other tires other than the ones I listed. Thanks for the help!

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I love, love, LOVE Continental Trail King 2.2 with Black Chili rubber compound. Lighter, faster AND grippier than Nevegals, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I live in Wyoming and tried a bunch of different brands over the years. I have had really good luck with specialized tires. I have been running the Purgatory upfront and captain out back. Perfect combo, however I might give the new ground control a chance for the rear. The purg rolls fast, has great control on loose over hard pack, rocks, and gives you a warning before it starts to wash out. The captain is a fast tire, holds up well to rocks, hardly any issues with chunking and great braking control down loose switchbacks.

I have not had very good luck with Continetials, due to short tire life, and chunking issues. Maxis are good, as well as Kenda, however I always seem to go back to specialized tires for their huge casing, great traction, long life, and hold up great for rocks, and shale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    People in Montana use steel wheels with leather wrapped around them. Patch glue does not work past 40 below.
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    I will give you 1 vote for the Nobby Nic Evos! I have had ignitors and fire xc pros and the nobby nics are better in pretty much all terrain i have ridden. They are not cheap though.