mtbr member
    May 2013

Tire recommendations for a Giant S-XC2

Hey there. Lately I've been getting flats every other time I go out. I'm just tired of dealing with tubes. So I wanted to convert to a tubeless setup.

My wheels are Giant S-XC2 and the tires are Schwalbe Nobby Nic, 26x2.25 Performance. The tires aren't their ust tubeless ready ones... Would they still work? I'm not a huge fan of these tires anyways so I might as well get something else. You guys have any suggestions? I've tried googling what would work best with this wheel but I couldn't find much info.

Anyways, thanks for the help, if I'm askin too many questions just tell me to **** off:P

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I went through the process of trying to convert my Giant P-XC2 rims to tubeless and I found it was a real PITA. I used the Gorilla tape method and although I got the tires to seat and seal up eventually, I really could not recommend it.

The biggest issue with these rims is that they have a very deep center groove. This makes it very hard to get the tires to seat, as the bead tends to slip into the groove. It also makes it difficult to get a valve to seal really well as the valve hole is right on the curving part of the center groove and the rubber base of the valve tends to distort when tightened (and then leak air).

A friend of mine had a bit more luck with the Stans rim strip but his wheels were the newer 29er version, so that might have had something to do with it.

I've read that the Bontrager Rhythm rim strip (symmetrical version) is a good fit on these rims and they fix the issue of the deep groove by the fact that the strip fills the groove in and forces the bead to rim edge. Do a Google for it for more info.

My advice would be to upgrade the wheels to something like the Stans Arch EX (or WTB Frequency i19 or i23) instead. You'll save a bit of weight on the wheels and have a satisfying tubeless experience.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Damn eh, what a bummer. Was hoping there'd be a cheaper solution. I shoulda looked into this before getting the bike :P

Oh well, I'll just keep a backpack fulla tubes until i save up for a new wheelset.

Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My son has that rim on the front of his XTC. I wrapped it with yellow tape, stuck a Captain Control on their w/Stans and aired it up; no rimstrips or tape nonsense. Its been on there for 3 months that way with no problems. He doesn't push low pressures, but he rides it pretty hard. I was actually surprised at how well that rim performed in a tubeless capacity.