mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Tire recommendation needed: Comparable to Bontrager XDX TLR but better

I've been riding a Fuel EX8 with the Bontrager XDX TLR tire. I've converted to tubeless and have been in love with it. With the TLR system (TLR Rim and Tire) and Stans it was a snap, and it was much easier then I've read about. Instant seal and I've had no leaks, no burps, nothing, just pure tubeless bliss. Just ran the Snake creek gap time trial where a ton of people flatted, no issues. I haven't even aired up the tires in about 3 weeks and they are holding a steady 35psi with no leakdown. Just plain awesome.

Having said that, is there a better tire out there that will give me that same "tubeless ready" performance, but have slightly better grip in the turns and be useful in more rocky/loose terrain? The XDX seems to excel in hardpack dirt, and I was lacking grip and spun out a few times on the looser/rockier/loamy conditions on the Pinhoti.

Possibilities I was thinking about were the Bontrager XR2 TLR, thats described to work on "loose over hardpack or loamy conditions". The XR4 TLR seems good as well, but a little worried about the extra rolling resistance that might give me, as the low rolling resistance is one thing about the XDX that I like.

Should I be looking at other brands as well? Would for example a Panaracer Fire XC Pro (non UST, UST is too heavy) give me the same tubeless performance? It seems to have a better tread pattern and be what I want there, but I'm worried that I will lose the flawless tubeless performance I have now. Would like to keep it at <$60 a tire if I can, unless there is something amazing out there.

Thanks!
    -Tom

Former Bike Wrench
    Might check out the Hutchinson Tubeless Ready tires, the beads met UST standards (just like the TLR tires) yet are very light. I have used the Piranha in the past (not tubeless) and liked it for dry mixed conditions. It has low knob height in the center but aggressive side knobs. As I have found with most Hutchinson tires, following their recommended pressure works best, most negative comments come from over pressurized tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nobby Nic 2.25 is pretty good in what you describe. The Double Defence version has a thick wall to resist cutting, but without the weight of a UST tyre
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Depending on how much you weigh try lowering your tire pressure first and see if that works for you. I have been running those tires at around 28-30 psi and haven't had any traction issues (I'm about 175 lbs)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 220 and 35 psi seems to be my sweetspot.

I hated the Hutchinson that was on my Giant. What a POS tire. Maybe their TLR stuff is different.

That Nobby Nic looks pretty interesting. Three tread compounds and a reinforced sidewall, for the same weight as the XDX. Hmmmm.

-Tom

LDH
    mtbr member
    I run the 2.4 xdx's and find the grip pretty good, what size are yours? I also run the 2.35 acx and they are my favorite tire as they roll pretty well and have very high predictable grip levels. Both are run tubeless on bonty wheels on 5" FS bikes.