mtbr member

Which tire to put on my race bike? nobby nic, RR, and rocket ron

I got a bit carried away, and bought the following tires. Which one would you run on your XC race bike? It has a Mavic 819 set

2.4 Rocket Ron, 2.2 Rocket Ron
    2.1 Racing Ralph
    2.2 Nobby Nic Tubeless ready, snake skin x 2
    2.2 Nobby Nix UST x 2

The trails in Ontario have a lot of hard packed conditions, and not a whole lot of sharp rocks. There are lots of roots, and they can get slippery when wet! I'm hoping to get descent wet performance as well.

I traded away my Bontrager Revolt Super X for a pair of Nobby Nics + cash. The Bontragers were great in the dry, but they sucked in the wet.

Thanks!

Ming

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    I got a bit carried away, and bought the following tires. Which one would you run on your XC race bike? It has a Mavic 819 set

2.4 Rocket Ron, 2.2 Rocket Ron
    2.1 Racing Ralph
    2.2 Nobby Nic Tubeless ready, snake skin x 2
    2.2 Nobby Nix UST x 2

The trails in Ontario have a lot of hard packed conditions, and not a whole lot of sharp rocks. There are lots of roots, and they can get slippery when wet! I'm hoping to get descent wet performance as well.

I traded away my Bontrager Revolt Super X for a pair of Nobby Nics + cash. The Bontragers were great in the dry, but they sucked in the wet.

Thanks!

Ming
    Match the tires to the conditions. That is why there is a variety of models available, and you have most of range.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Match the tires to the conditions. That is why there is a variety of models available, and you have most of range.
    Pardon im ignorance, my take on the tires are:

Racing Ralph - good for hard pack, fast tire, OK in the wet

Nobby Nic - good all arounder?

Rocket Ron - Good all around?

Can you please educate me on the strong points of the tires?

Thanks!

Ming

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you only want to choose one of these I would go with the Rocket Rons. They are pretty good in most conditions and roll fast. They are fine in some types of mud. They do not last very long. I got about 6-7 weeks of heavy training in before the rear tire was pretty well worn.

Staying with one tire you will be disappointed sometimes with performance. If you purchase two sets of those Schwalbes be prepared to spend about $300 + for them.

mtbr member
    I read a few reviews, and it seems like the Rocket Rons have pretty good rolling resistance even on hard pack. I'll start with these and swap tires as I see fit

Thanks!

Ming

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OLx6
    If you only want to choose one of these I would go with the Rocket Rons. They are pretty good in most conditions and roll fast. They are fine in some types of mud. They do not last very long. I got about 6-7 weeks of heavy training in before the rear tire was pretty well worn.

Staying with one tire you will be disappointed sometimes with performance. If you purchase two sets of those Schwalbes be prepared to spend about $300 + for them.
    Thanks for the tip! I actually just bought all of those tires from various places, and most of them for a pretty good price.

I scored the UST pair of Nobby Nics for 3 Bontrager Revolt Super X tires, a normal Hutchsion Python and 10 bucks

I think I will definitely put the Rocket Rons on my Top Fuel. It has become a race only bike, so the Rocket Rons should last me a while