Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    63

    Tire pressure gauge?

    Just bought a 27.5 Plus bike & I've read a lot about the importance of tire pressure and the massive differences even small changes in PSI can make. So I guess accurate tire pressure measuring is of paramount importance.

    I've got two track pumps, both with gauges, both not worth two bob for measuring tire pressure. The needle jumps around all over the place. I guess I should be reading with the pump pushed all the way down? But the gauges on my pumps give different readings this way so not very helpful anyway.

    Can anyone recommend a reliable an accurate presta valve pressure gauge? Mechanical or digital, as long as it works & is accurate. I've read good things about the Topeak D2 digital gauge but it's a little pricey.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Steel Calf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,814
    Topeak digital gauge. I've had SKS and Schwalbe but the Topeak is the only one reliable.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,259
    for presta, go digital. simple, easy, reliable.

    If your bike is setup tubeless, with sealant, always remember to release some pressure before you put on the gauge. Tap the valve cap a couple times until it stops spitting sealant. Otherwise, you shoot sealant into the gauge, and in a very short time, it gums up the gauge.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  4. #4
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,542
    agree with above - digital is the way to go. I have no problems with my SKS.

    I have a SKS handheld digital and a Lezyne digital floor pump. They correlate within 1 psi of each other consistently.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,078
    Accugage. I use a 30 psi model. Put it on the valve stem, press the button valve to bleed the tire down to the desire pressure, and watch it on the gauge. Digital gauges I've tried have no real-time pressure indication. You put it on, it reads out a pressure, and that's it. You can't watch it go up or down.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    If your bike is setup tubeless, with sealant, always remember to release some pressure before you put on the gauge. Tap the valve cap a couple times until it stops spitting sealant. Otherwise, you shoot sealant into the gauge, and in a very short time, it gums up the gauge.
    Sound advice on the valve i.e. release a little air before using gauge. I’ve been reading a lot of reviews of tire pressure gauges & they are extremely polarized. Some people think an item is fantastic. Others say it broke after a short time. I wouldn’t mind a bet why!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kevin267's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    371
    I have the sks Germany one and am happy with it. Small and light easy to put in my pack.

  8. #8
    Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,318
    I have used a Topeak D2 for a about 3-4 years, now. It's been excellent. So much so, I see they're being closed out so I bought another one just last week. Hopefully the closeout is a simple upgrade and it's not going away. Amazon is your friend. Most shops have them as high as $40! I paid $25 delivered. They are within <.5 psi of each other.

    Pro tip:
    Some users complained of letting out air when trying to check the pressure. There is a little learning curve of it's use but the best thing to do is disassemble the valve inlet by holding the tip against your palm and rotate it, unscrewing the end and pull the guts out. Add just a thin wipe of Slick Honey or other light suspension grease to the rubber components and reassemble. It makes a night/day difference and even on my road bike where the tiniest squirt can cause a loss of 5+ psi, it eliminates that completely.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    63
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering an SKS from Chain Reaction Cycles. Had trouble tracking down a Topeak D2 here in Aus for less than $50 (including shipping) otherwise I probably would have gone for that one. The SKS was only $35 (including shipping). I'll post back how it is once I've tried it.

  10. #10
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,243
    Ive had the topeak and its absolute garbage, especially if you run fat bike or plus bike pressures. In fact Ive never seen a digital gauge work well under 20 psi.

    Accu-Gage. I have both the 15 and 30 psi versions. Both are accurate to eachother to within 1/8 psi. The accuracy is limited only by your eyesight. Accept no imitations.

  11. #11
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,072
    I'm not so much interested in accuracy as I am in consistency. Find what worx for you and stick with it.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  12. #12
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,243
    Well you can repeatably dial in with an analog gauge to within 1/10 of a PSI pretty easily on the 15 PSI gauge, and probably even on the 30 psi. The topeak D2 only displayed full psi increments, so you have no idea if you're on the high or low side. Some things are still better off analog.

  13. #13
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,072
    I frequently use the gauge when mounting up a tire or I'm in the garage with a floor pump, but once out and about I usually just squeeze the tire to get a 'ballpark' idea of pressure and go ride.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  14. #14
    That Sleestak
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,838
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Ive had the topeak and its absolute garbage, especially if you run fat bike or plus bike pressures. In fact Ive never seen a digital gauge work well under 20 psi.

    Accu-Gage. I have both the 15 and 30 psi versions. Both are accurate to eachother to within 1/8 psi. The accuracy is limited only by your eyesight. Accept no imitations.
    Are you talking about this one? Meiser Presta-Valve Dial Gauge with Pressure Relief 30psi in Tree Fort Bikes Pressure Guage

    I need a gauge and might use more than 15psi in some tires. I'm down with analog.

  15. #15
    Land of the 230+
    Reputation: GuitsBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,243
    Yup, thats it. Or amazon has it for 13.75 with free shipping if you have prime.
    http://amzn.com/B004XISIK4

  16. #16
    That Sleestak
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,838
    Cool, thanks! Not a bad price to know what pressures you're riding. My stupid Park floor pump is a joke, and it's hard to fit in my pack.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Yup, thats it. Or amazon has it for 13.75 with free shipping if you have prime.
    http://amzn.com/B004XISIK4
    Might get one of those as well at that price. Most of the analogue gauges I've seen run from something like 0-160 PSI. 0-30 PSI would much better for MTB, especially as I am in fact running 650B Plus.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,078
    I said it already, but one main advantage of the Accugage is that it reads continuously, unlike the digital gauges I used, and it has a bleed button which lets you slowly let out air to set an exact pressure. Pump up the tire above what you want, put the gauge on and bleed it down to exactly what you want, then pop the gauge off. You can reproducible set pressure to a fraction of a PSI.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    63
    Got the SKS digital gauge in the post yesterday. Doesn't work very well at all. Maybe I'm not using it correctly? When I place the device on the valve air is continuously leaking from the valve. The pressure is read pretty quickly but if it's leaking air whilst in use how accurate is it going to be?! I tried using the deflate button but the air flow doesn't seem to change from just having the thing on the valve to take a reading! Seems very hit & miss. Think I'll try the analog Accugauge. My wife's bike has schrader valves. I'll see if it works any better on these.

  20. #20
    Bannėd
    Reputation: Trevor Ochmonek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I said it already, but one main advantage of the Accugage is that it reads continuously, unlike the digital gauges I used, and it has a bleed button which lets you slowly let out air to set an exact pressure. Pump up the tire above what you want, put the gauge on and bleed it down to exactly what you want, then pop the gauge off. You can reproducible set pressure to a fraction of a PSI.
    I just ordered one of these from Amazon for $13 but I went with the 60 psi version. Like the simplicity and ability to leak air out as you pointed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

  21. #21
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post
    I just ordered one of these from Amazon for $13 but I went with the 60 psi version. Like the simplicity and ability to leak air out as you pointed out.
    I can't believe I've gone so long w/o one of these analog gages... When you're running pressures under 20, a few PSI can mean a lot... totally a great deal and a necessary tool!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,259
    I wish they offered it in a 45psi version. The 30 psi is fine for my fatbike, but just at the limit of my mountain bike. Normally run 28 front/32 rear.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

  23. #23
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy73 View Post
    Got the SKS digital gauge in the post yesterday. Doesn't work very well at all. Maybe I'm not using it correctly? When I place the device on the valve air is continuously leaking from the valve. The pressure is read pretty quickly but if it's leaking air whilst in use how accurate is it going to be?! I tried using the deflate button but the air flow doesn't seem to change from just having the thing on the valve to take a reading! Seems very hit & miss. Think I'll try the analog Accugauge. My wife's bike has schrader valves. I'll see if it works any better on these.
    sounds like operator error, to be honest

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    sounds like operator error, to be honest
    Hopefully that is the case. But I can't really see any other way to do this - you loosen the valve, put the gauge on & wait for the reading. What could I be doing wrong?! Maybe I need to push it on much harder? Maybe I need to unscrew the valve more / less? Tried all these things, same thing with the gauge.

  25. #25
    That Sleestak
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy73 View Post
    Hopefully that is the case. But I can't really see any other way to do this - you loosen the valve, put the gauge on & wait for the reading. What could I be doing wrong?! Maybe I need to push it on much harder? Maybe I need to unscrew the valve more / less? Tried all these things, same thing with the gauge.
    Maybe email the company and ask? Look for video on youtube? Maybe you got a defective unit?

  26. #26
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy73 View Post
    Hopefully that is the case. But I can't really see any other way to do this - you loosen the valve, put the gauge on & wait for the reading. What could I be doing wrong?! Maybe I need to push it on much harder? Maybe I need to unscrew the valve more / less? Tried all these things, same thing with the gauge.
    I can't say for sure - just make sure you are pushing the gauge quickly and firmly onto the valve while keeping the gauge and valve aligned. You shouldn't be losing air in the process (this really goes for any gauge)

  27. #27
    Bannėd
    Reputation: Trevor Ochmonek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    283
    Got my accu-gage in the mail and really dig it.. Glad I went with the 60 since I have some bikes that I need to inflate tires above 30 on.

    Tire pressure gauge?-image.jpg


    Floor pump
    Tire pressure gauge?-image.jpg

    Accu-gage
    Tire pressure gauge?-image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kevin267's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy73 View Post
    Hopefully that is the case. But I can't really see any other way to do this - you loosen the valve, put the gauge on & wait for the reading. What could I be doing wrong?! Maybe I need to push it on much harder? Maybe I need to unscrew the valve more / less? Tried all these things, same thing with the gauge.
    I found having the valve un screwed all the way to be important (Presta)

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ochmonek View Post
    Got my accu-gage in the mail and really dig it.. Glad I went with the 60 since I have some bikes that I need to inflate tires above 30 on...
    Yeah. I went with the 30 since all my mtb tires are below that and all my road bike tires are closer to 100. The 60 still has very good readability and precision into the teens. The only thing you really give up compared to the 30 is absolute accuracy. I use the gauge on my floor pump to inflate the tires to something above what I want and then put the Accu-Gage on to bleed them down to the exact pressures I want.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    168

    Lezyne Digital Hand and Floor Pumps

    I too have tried various mechanical pressure gauges. But as stated by others in this thread, most mechanical gauges simply don't offer the accuracy needed for high volume, low pressure tires.

    To gain accuracy, I purchased the Topeak SmartGauge D2. This gauge gets the job done, but it is inconvenient to use. Attach pump, pump, remove pump, measure, reattach pump, remove pump, measure, let air out, measure again and repeat if needed.

    Since I did not like that process, I purchased a Lezyne digital floor pump. Simply attach the pump, turn on the gauge, pump, remove pump and you're done. If you exceed the target pressure there is a slow pressure realize button on the chuck.

    When at home or at the trail head, I use my Lezyne Digital Floor Drive pump:
    Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Digital Pumps

    For trail use, I plan to purchase the new high volume Digital Alloy Drive, once it is available:
    Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Hand Pumps - High Volume - Digital Alloy Drive

    Tire pressure gauge?-product-handpumps-digialydrive1.jpg

    For those that are not running high volume tires, Art's Cyclery has the Digital Pressure Drive hand pump in stock:
    Lezyne Digital Pressure Drive Hand Pump

    I'm very happy with the Lezyne products. They are made very well and can be maintained by replacing worn parts/o-rings...

  31. #31
    MTB Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    most mechanical gauges simply don't offer the accuracy needed for high volume, low pressure tires
    Analog gauges are plenty accurate if they're a good one, you just have to use the right gauge for the pressure range you're working in. Ideally, you should be using a gauge where your target pressures fall in the middle 50% of its range. That'll give a good, readable scale and the gauges are more accurate towards the middle too. Over-pressuring a mechanical gauge (running it into the top of the scale) can damage it and kill its accuracy, so be careful not to do that.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    160
    sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm in full retentive mode…

    this weekend, a guy on the trail was helping me fix a brake.

    He said my tire felt too hard, I told him it was 21psi. He said it was high 20's.

    It got into my head and I've been testing various gauges since.

    Which do I believe? The digital gauges always match and come in 4-5 higher than the mechanical gauge.

    test 1 specs:
    29mm internal rim width / 29" 2.6 specialized butcher grid

    a sample reading:
    accu-gauge 30psi model: 20 psi
    topeak d2 digital: 24 psi (no decimal numbers)
    blackburn honest digital: 24.5 psi

    test 2 specs:
    30mm internal / 27.5 2.3 maxxis aggressor

    a sample reading:
    accu-gauge 30psi model: 15.5 psi
    topeak d2 digital: 19 psi
    blackburn honest digital: 19 psi

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OwenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,255
    I have a SKS digital gauge. Shop guy said it was better than the Topeak D2. Compared it a few times to my floor pump, and haven't used it since. Thought I might use it with my hand pump on rare occasion, but I know what my tires are supposed to feel like, and have never bothered. Bought an AccuGage before that, and returned it. Didn't hold air/pressure, and was totally useless.
    My shock pumps aren't consistent from one to the other, either.
    I've given up caring what any of them read, or whatever my actual pressures may be, and just go with the gauges on the floor and shock pumps I use all the time.

  34. #34
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,340

    Tire pressure gauge?

    Running plus tires, as you are aware, the PSI is very important, and makes a huge difference in the ride and handling. I have always been rather anal about measuring the PSI in my tires, but have often used the “relative” PSI on my floor pump, meaning I’m not sure how accurate it is, but I had a sense of where I wanted it to be and could be consistent, based on the floor pump’s gauge.

    I realized that wasn’t good enough, so I tried a couple digital gauges, but they seemed to be inconsistent, and I didn’t trust them. I got this one, and it is totally accurate and very easy to read. Make sure you get the bigger one that only goes up to 30 PSI, because it’s easier to read and measures down to .5 PSI, plus you’ll never go above 30, anyway.

    Some guys scoff at this, and just do the “feel” test by squeezing the tire, but I really like to know and be sure, so that I can understand and adjust the PSI based on how it is feeling. If I can’t accurately quantify it, I am shooting in the dark.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  35. #35
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,269
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    for presta, go digital. simple, easy, reliable.

    If your bike is setup tubeless, with sealant, always remember to release some pressure before you put on the gauge. Tap the valve cap a couple times until it stops spitting sealant. Otherwise, you shoot sealant into the gauge, and in a very short time, it gums up the gauge.
    ^^ this and this

    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  36. #36
    Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    We'll see about THIS one! With a rigid 6FiddyPlus and FSR, I'm pressure sensitive, too. I have always thought highly of the Topeak D2's and have 2 of them that I bought at different times for around $22 BEFORE they got stupid and went up to what I see now is around $35! After buying the second, I noticed discrepancies between each of about 2 psi. I popped for one of the SKS units which I "think" is better than the D2's but it's starting to bypass air when fitted to the presta. I need to investigate the cause of that.

    I just ordered a Meister. Pretty inexpensive and supposedly lifetime warranty so we'll see what that one is like in a couple days.

  37. #37
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    We'll see about THIS one! With a rigid 6FiddyPlus and FSR, I'm pressure sensitive, too. I have always thought highly of the Topeak D2's and have 2 of them that I bought at different times for around $22 BEFORE they got stupid and went up to what I see now is around $35! After buying the second, I noticed discrepancies between each of about 2 psi. I popped for one of the SKS units which I "think" is better than the D2's but it's starting to bypass air when fitted to the presta. I need to investigate the cause of that.

    I just ordered a Meister. Pretty inexpensive and supposedly lifetime warranty so we'll see what that one is like in a couple days.
    I had the same experience with multiple digital gauges giving me differing and inconsistent readings, and with air escaping in the process. No issues with this simple, accurate analog gauge.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,078
    Quite a few riders around here are using and liking the Accugage; 0-15 for fatbike tires and 0-30 or 0-60 for mtb tires. One caveat: If you over-pressure it, you can kill its calibration.
    Do the math.

  39. #39
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,072

    Over pressure killed this too...

    Tire pressure gauge?-kc-135-explosion.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 01:18 PM
  2. Best Fat tire pressure gauge?
    By crampshaw@gmail.com in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-13-2014, 06:29 PM
  3. Tire Pressure Gauge
    By hitek in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 04:48 AM
  4. Tire Pressure Gauge
    By rickcin in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 06:48 AM
  5. Take-Along Tire pressure gauge
    By AntiSocialClimber in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2013, 04:05 PM

Members who have read this thread: 94

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.