Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Snake bite and pinch flat are basically the same thing. A pinch flat is as you describe, but the tube is folded when it gets pinched, so often (but not always) this results in two holes on the same side, of the tube, thus the "snake bite". When it happens on both sides of the rim, that is just two pinch flats (and possibly two snake bites).
    And I have never seen the latter in 25+ years of mtbing. It may appear that the snake bite holes are at rim width but they do not line up properly for that to be how it happened if you look at their position on the tube.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    And I have never seen the latter in 25+ years of mtbing. It may appear that the snake bite holes are at rim width but they do not line up properly for that to be how it happened if you look at their position on the tube.
    That's because you ride with people who, unlike me, are smart enough not to try to ride up a concrete staircase with under inflated tires, no finesse, and a really good running start. The double snake bites were the least of my problems.

I Ride Alone
    Read you tires. Most XC tires run optimally at 2 Bar. 29lbs.
    The Lone Rider.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger
    You ARE joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger
    Ummm...I refer you to your own signature.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I run 32 and 35lbs on a Highroller 2.35UST mounted on an XM819 rims on my 2004 5-spot...

my problem is not the traction or pinch flats but rim dents that eventually cannot be re-trued again...

I ttry to ride smooth and choose the best line as much as I can but the are time that rocks on the trails cannot be avoided

What shall I do then???
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

food for thought....

i recently had a chance to ride some very fun trails somewhere near santa cruz - you know the ones......with perfect soil after a bit of rain, and almost no rocks, i tried lowering my pressures to about 24-25 psi front and about 32-33 psi rear. in that perfect soil, and on those particular trail-side attractions in that place some of you may know about, i got unreal traction with a smooth buttery ride quality.

so, soil conditions will tell you what you can get away with on your pressures. i was able to lower my pressures in sc, but at northstar in tahoe, at 24/32 i'd be pushing my bike down the hill to go buy a new tube.

very cool that this thread is a sticky. it has become very informative.
    Last edited by mr.niles; 11-05-2009 at 08:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Snake bite and pinch flat are basically the same thing. A pinch flat is as you describe, but the tube is folded when it gets pinched, so often (but not always) this results in two holes on the same side, of the tube, thus the "snake bite". When it happens on both sides of the rim, that is just two pinch flats (and possibly two snake bites).
    either way, your tube is toast, you are pushing your bike, and you are bummed.....

mtbr member
    28psi with conti mountain king 2.4s

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wow after reading this thread this may sound crazy, I weigh 150 pounds and I ride my hardtail at 60 psi. I never thought of lowering them, but now I'll give it a try.

New MTB XC Racer
    Here is a quote of mine from another thread (561602)

I just finished my local series here in the Ottawa area at Camp Fortune and its rough and rocky. Always several guys flatting each race. I switched half way through the season from the Karma to the Nevegals and have since had my best times.

I'm starting to worry less about tire weights and more about traction and running correct pressure. Running tubed 25F/23R on Nevegals 2.1 and 30F/28R on Karmas(2.0) (5'4" 145lbs) with only one pinch flat all summer on a high speed decent having to take a poor line do to some hikers

Take a few extra tubes when you want to experiment wih tire pressure. Try running lower and lower pressure till you pinch flat and then run 2-4 psi higher after that. Works great for me.
    I found there can be a HUGE difference in traction, or rather lack of it, when running your tires at too high a pressure. Of course your riding trails and style could effect optimum tire pressure. Aside from fixing the odd flat it can be fun to mess around with pressure and traction etc as long as you are prepaired for it and it ain't a race haha

Cheers,
    Paul

COMBO - President
    160lbs rider, Niner Rip (29er for those not familiar)

Continental Mountain King 2.4 front 19psi
    Stans Raven 2.2 rear 23 psi

official eMpTyBRain
    I run 35-40 psi in my Nevegals on a full suspension bike.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What would you all recommend for someone 113 lbs?

COMBO - President
    A good meal!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil42
    What would you all recommend for someone 113 lbs?
    Reading the whole thread so you learn how to find your own best pressure.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I weigh 185 with gear and was getting rim damage on my mavic 819's with tires lower than 45psi in the Sierra Foothills (some of the higher g creek crossings were the offenders). I feel like an idiot for buying UST as the whole point was to run them at low PSI, but that only destroys the wheels. I've been riding this pressure for some time and feel comfortable on it. My next wheels will be tubed for sure.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirge02
    Wow after reading this thread this may sound crazy, I weigh 150 pounds and I ride my hardtail at 60 psi. I never thought of lowering them, but now I'll give it a try.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    running at 50 in both tyres think it's time to drop them to 40
    i'm approx 220lbs so a bit on the heavy side

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As low as you can go fellas. That low pressure squirm can be unnerving at first, but you will get a handle on it and you will be railing corners faster than ever.

I love seeing newbs (and even better, vets) running their tires rock hard and they wonder why they don't get traction, while on the other hand they point out my tires are nearly flat

New MTB XC Racer
    I run Kenda Karmas(2.0) and Nevegals(2.1) and even tho the Nev is about 200g a tire heavier my times are about the same on both tires. I run 28 ish on the Karmas and 23 ish on Nevegals. I get WAY more traction on the Nevs.
    I think my best time ever (on local track) was on the Nevs, but was later inthe season and was probably fitter

Anyone else find they like racing on a larger volume tire with lower pressure even with the weight penalty???

Cheers,
    Paul Bell

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This all makes sense but for clydes like me @ 245 it seems like a trade off. There was mention of speed but not much about rolling resistance. When I ran 28/38 which seemed to give me plenty of support, the confidence and traction on the trail was huge. The trade off is it felt like I was riding through a foot of molasses on a relentless uphill with a headwind. If this were my first day out, I probably wouldn't think MTBing was very fun. I'll admit the RR was not as bad in the dirt as it was on pavement. For me, it seems the low pressure is more approriate for downhill. I'm riding with more pressure and slowing for the technical stuff.

Edit: Ok, went for another ride and realized I was riding uphill with a headwind. Santa Ana's for the last few days. Yes there was noticeable rolling resistance but not too bad. This time pressure @ 20/30. Front is fine but I think the rear needs some more air and the tires stick like velcro. In fact, the tires grip so well the there IS more resistance on pavement.
    Last edited by h82crash; 03-17-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    Old habits die hard, it's a great thread to convince you to try lower.

Recent rides on my own no problems in the dry, with a group on a littered trail of shale, wet and muddy and underlying smooth and square fist sized rocks. The bike felt quite harsh. It makes you realise even 3-4 Psi too much can affect handling. this from a rider 155lbs on Maxxis minion 2.35 so looks like 22 Psi give or take seems ideal as 25Psi on that track felt very scary.
    One of the biggest mistakes i have done over the years is not spent the time out in the field shock pump tyre gauge and a series of loops.

mtbr member

Same thing here..

I went tubeless on my new bike two weeks ago.
    I set the tire pressure 25-28 front and rear then went for a ride....
    I just kept reducing the pressure until the handling felt perfect to me.
    When I got back to the car I checked the pressures and I couldn't believe it.
    20 psi in the front and 23 psi in the rear. I'm running Specialized Fast Traks 2.0 front and rear.
    I'll do the same thing tomorrow just to make sure!
    Climbing cornering even flat out hammering just felt effortless.
    Low pressure really makes a difference!
    Oh I'm 155 pounds with gear.
    Spend time to play with the pressure and go with the feel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I run 40/40, im also 210..I always worry about pinch flats riding hard. I pump them to 40 then stop worrying about messing with pressure.

I have used the mythos tires before and i got a lot of pinch flats with them..they also wore really fast. They are very good tires with lots of grip and they are very light.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast