Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    200lbs 2.4 x-king 18 & 20 psi
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That MTB Tech site was pretty helpful. I still run about 2-3psi lower than they say, but I know I am in the zone. I really just go by feel, but make note of the pressure when I hit the sweet spot.

The site also confirmed my experience which is that low pressure on a 26” is different than a 29”. I have both and run the 26” (tubeless on WTB Frequency i19 rims with Geax Akas) at about 27/28 and it feels great. But I run the 29er a good deal lower at 24/25 to get the same feeling (tubeless on Stan’s Arch rims and Maxxis CrossMark). Overall, I like the feel of the Aka the best, but it wears REALLY quickly.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Re: Tire pressure for all around XC riding?

Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post
    That MTB Tech site was pretty helpful. I still run about 2-3psi lower than they say, but I know I am in the zone.
    Really? I run about 10psi lower than they say.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Really? I run about 10psi lower than they say.
    There are a lot of factors like tubed v. tubeless, tire size and rider weight but I definitely couldn't drop another 10psi from what they recommend. They said 29 or 30 for my 26". I definitely couldn't go down to 19 or 20 on those wheels. Things get squirrelly the closer I get to 25. Similarly, I can't see running my 29er as low as 16 or 17. Though this is a new ride for me and I have been dropping the pressure each day I have been out. 24 is the lowest I have gone on rocky terrain with some good climbing and the extra grip was perfect. But the front end was getting a little unstable in tighter turns on downhill and hardpack. Still figuring it out.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post
    There are a lot of factors like tubed v. tubeless, tire size and rider weight but I definitely couldn't drop another 10psi from what they recommend. They said 29 or 30 for my 26". I definitely couldn't go down to 19 or 20 on those wheels. Things get squirrelly the closer I get to 25. Similarly, I can't see running my 29er as low as 16 or 17. Though this is a new ride for me and I have been dropping the pressure each day I have been out. 24 is the lowest I have gone on rocky terrain with some good climbing and the extra grip was perfect. But the front end was getting a little unstable in tighter turns on downhill and hardpack. Still figuring it out.
    Day to day on my fully, I run 24f/29r and for racing on the hard tail, 21f/24r.
    Both with tubes and 180lb rider.

When I was running tubeless on the fully, most tyres were best for me about 25psi on the rear, except for a Hutchy Python which had a sweet spot around 29psi.

Lots of figuring out involved...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The advice "Lower your pressure until you experience pinch flats" makes sense if you're running tubes. But what if you're tubeless? "Lower your pressure until you destroy a rim" is not a very palatable answer.

How does one balance the desires to 1) experiment with pressures, and 2) not destroy their expensive rims?

I'm guessing gently bottoming out isn't a problem, so the key is to learn what that feels like and avoid it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    I'm guessing gently bottoming out isn't a problem, so the key is to learn what that feels like and avoid it?
    That's what I do. If I feel a rim strike or 2 on a ride I know I'm running a couple psi low. Also if it starts feeling squirrly in corners. I haven't damaged any rims due to this, it seems pretty obvious if it's dangerously low.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    The advice "Lower your pressure until you experience pinch flats" makes sense if you're running tubes.
    Not sure this makes any sense at all! The last thing I would want when out on the trail would be a flat to fix and risking a ruined tube. Not good advice in my book.

I run tubeless between 26-30 psi as the trails I ride are generally more rooty and fast rolling. When I was tubed it would be in the 35-40 psi range.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coxinio View Post
    I run tubeless between 26-30 psi as the trails I ride are generally more rooty and fast rolling. When I was tubed it would be in the 35-40 psi range.

I used to do that back in the 90's, tires were a lot skinnier and good info was harder to come by then though. 25 psi for me with 2.2/2.3's, and I have yet to pinch flat due to this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I used to do that back in the 90's, tires were a lot skinnier and good info was harder to come by then though. 25 psi for me with 2.2/2.3's, and I have yet to pinch flat due to this.
    Good advice and old habits die hard, will try lowering pressure next time I'm running a tube.

mtbr member
    Im 220 on 2.0 tires on my cannondale.whats a good pressure I could run on the trails?

Jeremy Reed

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Tire pressure for all around XC riding?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyreed View Post
    Im 220 on 2.0 tires on my cannondale.whats a good pressure I could run on the trails?

Jeremy Reed
    Read this thread. It tells you how to find what works for you.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Read this thread. It tells you how to find what works for you.
    Good thread, thanks

mtbr member
    I have mine both at 40 now..rated low is 33psi and high is 55....

Jeremy Reed

Don't Worry Be Happy
    Apr 2008
    Conti XKing 2.2, 175lb, 25f/28r. (tubes)

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    At the moment, on the hard tail, Conti X-King 2.4's (55mm width, with tubes), 17psi front, 21psi rear.
    16f/20r and I got a couple of rear rim strikes when seated.

87kg, fast(ish) cruise speed, rocks and roots only a couple of cm high.

On the fully, Hutchy 2.1's, Toro front and Bulldog rear. Both tubed. 20f/24r.
    Last edited by NordieBoy; 09-09-2014 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member

20 front / 25 rear...tubeless

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cnitram View Post
    20 front / 25 rear...tubeless
    What tyres/widths?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I run Hans Damf 2.35 Front and NN 2.25 Rear. I weigh 155 with all my gear. I used to run 25 front and 28 rear. After my rear losing traction every now and then, and my current rides getting hotter as the ride progresses, I've lowered my pressures to 21/23 respectively. The air inside the tires expands with the heat and the tires do feel harder after the ride. I find that this is perfect for my riding style, terrain and ability - moderately aggressive/dry, loose gravel/intermediate skills.

K&K
    I think for some people, a flat, a ruined tube, or a dinged rim is a big deal, for others, its just part of the experience; a good explanation why there are such widely ranging ideas of what is the "right" pressure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

220 geared up. Start rides with 25 front, 30 back, but may reduce pressure if conditions dictate (my non scientific system is to do a five count while pressing in the valve which equals roughly 5 psi). Happened yesterday - bone dry here in SD and a lot or the trail was loose rocks and I was bouncing / skipping around and under steering. Using hookless carbon rims, Hans Dampf 2.3 up front, Racing Ralph 2.2 in back. I have to say I much preferred the ride of the lower pressure and even though I was at approx 20 front, 25 back. Unless you are flying off 2 plus foot jumps or are slamming your bike into everything, the lower pressure (tubeless) should be good to go as far as flats.

mtbr member
    For tubes, run as low as you can without pinch flatting. That'll be your limiting factor. For tubeless, go as low as you can without having the tire roll under while cornering, or without feeling like it's wandering. It'll change on different width rims. I can go lower on 21 mm rims than I can on 17 mm rims with the same exact tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Guess i have been on road/TT bikes too long... I still have a "mental" issue going below 30psi on my tubeless setup.. All I can think about is rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yep, you have. Different ballgame.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Quote Originally Posted by XTERRAGreg View Post
    Guess i have been on road/TT bikes too long... I still have a "mental" issue going below 30psi on my tubeless setup.. All I can think about is rolling resistance.
    I have a 30psi mental barrier too, but mine is the opposite. If I have to, I'll put 29psi in, but I can't put 30.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast