Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    mtbr member
    I weigh 235lb's in my birthday suit...

I also advocate for the tyre determines the required pressure.

2.4's I've run in the past @ 22-24psi... 2.35's = 23-25psi... 2.3's = 24-27psi... 2.2's = 28-30psi...

Plus I run tubes... I get a flat once a year, on average. I run protection variety tyres only. Little extra weight for peace of mind.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    Last edited by targnik; 08-19-2016 at 05:29 PM.
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    Current setup,
    Scott Spark 760

185 pounds in full ride gear.

27.5 X 2.25 Rocket Ron out back, tubed 25 psi feels great, no pinches.
    a 500ish gram tire.

27.5 X 2.35 Bonty XR-3 front, tubed at 23 psi,,, feels great, no snake bites yet
    a 700ish gram tire.

Lower than this gives me a squirmy ride, lowest tested so far 23 rear, 21 front, tubed.
    I'm the same weight as you and settled in at the same pressure on tubeless HD trailstar front and same tire but in Supergravity on the back. Pleased with grip and ride quality over the rough stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    2015 Giant Trance 3
    X-Fusion Sweep RL2 160mm fork
    Straitline Defacto pedals
    Renthal Fatbar with TV 40mm stem
    Ergon Grips

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregon2wheels View Post
    In praise of higher tire pressure - I ran 40 psi (highest safe pressure on Stan's rims per Stan's) just because I was too lazy to tune the pressure after doing a road ride with my son.

With the trails dried out -- WOW! Yes, I gave up some traction, and, no, these are not technical trails besides some roots. What I gave up in straight line traction I made up for in fast turning on the tight corners built into these trails. So much fun and so responsive.

It's not a setting I'd use all the time, but on trails I know with hard conditions, it was fun!
    I run pretty much max pressure of whatever tire im on. Currently Ikon 26 x 2.35 @ 60psi and in my experience the skitish behavior of high psi can be overcome by smooth body control and good sense. I do give up some bite on climbs and on some of the hairy corners I take them a bit slower but everywhere else, i'm flying way faster with the increased pressures and not having to pedal so much to maintain speed either. I put down a fair bit of mileage each year and the added bonus of almost never flatting out from tubes and high psi is a double bonus on a 100mile tour. I fly over roots and rocks and hang on tight, set the suspension on the soft side with lots of rebound control to do the job it was made for instead of relying on the tires as springs.

Different strokes for different folks.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Wow.
    I'd consider 24psi as far to high for a front 26x2.35 Ikon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    LOL! That's a bit like the guy over in the Specialized forum that said his 29x2.3 Fastrak (which actually measure out to a shy 2.2 btw) felt 'supple' at 2 bar (29psi) and his 71kg (156lbs)...

supple he said...

Anyway, not to discredit urban commando...what happened to the data that said that lower pressures actually attributed to faster times because the tire wasn't being deflected as much?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I figured that post would pop some eyes open and invite the hecklers. Theres nothing supple about my set up thats for sure. Its skittish, but its fast and durable. Also worth noting on loose gravel the high psi is BRUTAL for wash outs around corners, thats probably where they are at their worst. On dirt or even mildly wet loose dirt its a handful but manageable and fun too. I also really like the nevagels @ 50psi on loose terrain they corner excellent, climb and roll quite well but only when its loose. Those tires are slugs on hard surfaces imo. Also in the 2.35 btw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm not meaning to heckle you urban commando. Your post just reminded me of that other one. Actually the way you commented about it, relayed effectively that you were dialing the suspension to help compensate and that it was still a compromise.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910