West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

Tire permanently deformed after a burp?

Yesterday I had a pretty severe tire burp/life flashing before my eyes moment. Now the tire has a bad wobble, even though its seated evenly all the way around (based on the reference line above the bead). I even tried inflating it to max pressure and sitting it in the sun all day. Think the casing is warped forever?

mtbr member
    What pressure are you running? How old is it? While it is possible the tire has cord damage or it is delaminated it is unusual.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    It's been sitting at 40 since I got home yesterday but I was running 25 when it happened. I got the tire caught between two rocks and my momentum carried me through, but the tire ripped off the rim a bit. I've been pulling it and yanking on it with no improvement. Guess the casing is damaged. There's no bubbles or sidewall damage.

mtbr member
    If you completely de-seated it (rotate on rim), and it still is out of whack, then I'd replace it. Too many other things to worry about on the trail besides a gimped tire.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm replacing it. Safe or not, I can't ride with the front tire bouncing.

Just wondering if anyone's had a tire casing deform like this. It's a specialized captain control by the way.

turtles make me hot
    I just had it happen yesterday. I was powering up the side of a berm and rolled the tire off the rim. Had to put a tube in it to get home.
    Afterwards, I thought the rim was bent and put it in the truing stand. The rim was perfect. Tire is all over the place. It's getting replaced.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    It's a specialized captain control by the way.
    Currently running on the rear, and had zero problems. Depending on it's age, could be a defective tire. I would take it back to the dealer and see what they think.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I just had it happen yesterday. I was powering up the side of a berm and rolled the tire off the rim. Had to put a tube in it to get home.
    Afterwards, I thought the rim was bent and put it in the truing stand. The rim was perfect. Tire is all over the place. It's getting replaced.
    Had the exact same thing happen with a 2.4 Trail King UST about 2 months ago. Destroyed the rim and had the wheel re-built, mounted the old tire and almost flipped because it looked like the brand new wheel was out of true. Turns out it was just the tire.