mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Tire just popped (I think)... what is going on?

I put a new set of tires on my bike about 6 months ago (Specialized Captain Control) tubeless with Stans sealant and have been riding them on average once a week without issue. The wheels are Stans ZTR Olympics which have been on the bike for a few years. The last time I rode was Saturday, again without issue.

I keep my bike in my living room, and Sunday morning while I was watching TV I heard a strange crackling sound, then it was as if a gunshot went off. It took me a while to figure out what happened but finally determined that the tire either lost it's bead or just exploded. I haven't really had a chance to look much at it as I'm traveling, but I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me figure out what happened.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks!

Formerly of Kent
    A photo would help, and would provide some pretty good clues as to what happened.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Maybe check to see if you have any sealant left in the tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I will be home this evening and take some pics for you guys. I didn't think the sealant would dry out in 6 months... would it?

Glad this didn't happen when I was bombing down a trail!!

Purulento
    Aug 2009
    I live in a tropical country (hot and humid weather almost all year long) and have to fill out my tires every 3-4 months ( with stan's)...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I sure hope the sealant has dried out if the tire popped off. If not, it has splattered onto everything in the neighbourhood of the tire and the stuff is allmost impossible to get out of anything made of fabric.

If the tire popped of the rim (judging by the sound you describe, it has), most likely the tire bead snapped. It's much less likely (but more costly..) due to faillure to the rim.

If the rim is not damaged, do not use the tire again, even if the bead does not show visible damage. Like I said, the only way a tire pops off a rim if the rim is OK, is a snapped or stretched out tire bead. It will pop off again if you try to mount it again.

In any case, the question is why this happened. What pressure did you have in the tire? Was the tire exposed to direct sunlight or heat?

There is one other option and that is the bead was not correctly seated in the bead hook of the rim and it popped into place and not off the rim. That can make a loud snapping sound. If you are really lucky, it's just that and then nothing got damaged...

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by mlevinson View Post
    I didn't think the sealant would dry out in 6 months... would it?
    absolutely. 6 months is on the outer edge of how long stan's will last.
    sounds like you blew the bead off the rim, in which case the tire is likely toast.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Big Gulps, Alright!
    In hot, dry climates sealant can dry out in 2-3 months even (I'm talking 90+ degrees and low humidity).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    What kind of sealent were u using??

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Jmo1413 View Post
    What kind of sealent were u using??
    I put a new set of tires on my bike about 6 months ago (Specialized Captain Control) tubeless with Stans sealant