Giant Anthem

Tire exploding phenomenon; has this happened to you?

After loading my bike in my car while traveling home, in that state of bliss we all experience after a hard ride, my heart jumped as a heard an explosion. Upon further inspection my rear tire had violently deflated from a pinch flat. Mind you this was 10-15 minutes after my ride was over, what gives? Was this this a tire demon manifesting itself or some physics playing havoc with me?? Has this happened to anyone??

bi-winning
    no explosions, but there has been times where i have finished a ride with no problems, and then found my tire to be flat the next day. nothing so sudden though.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i've heard of people inflating their tires out in the cold, either as a pre-ride top-off or after repairing a flat, then loading the bike in the vehicle and putting on the heat...pv=nrt, so, well...the tire lifts off the rim and the tube bursts violently...

i'm guessing that's what happened...was it cold out on your ride?

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, I'd suspect a pinch flat that didn't quite have enough to make a slice, but rather weakened the tube...temp goes up, pressure goes up and tire fails dramatically at weakened area.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Giant Anthem

Thats it

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike
    Yeah, I'd suspect a pinch flat that didn't quite have enough to make a slice, but rather weakened the tube...temp goes up, pressure goes up and tire fails dramatically at weakened area.
    Yeah, that sounds like the best theory.

I've also had a thorn pierce my tube and not leak any air because the tube had kind of adhered to the tire and created a airtight bond, Hmmmmm.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    no explosions, but there has been times where i have finished a ride with no problems, and then found my tire to be flat the next day. nothing so sudden though.
    I HATE when that happens.
    Im getting a lot of pinchflats recently, and they are usually so small that I never find them
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    I HATE when that happens.
    Im getting a lot of pinchflats recently, and they are usually so small that I never find them
    If you can not find the holes it is unlikely you pinch flatted. Look for thorns in your tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    If you can not find the holes it is unlikely you pinch flatted. Look for thorns in your tires.
    Its strange. There are practically no thorns where I ride (ive never flatted by a thorn there). I only get these flats when we choose to go down through the rockiest route. I am inflating my rear tire much more than I am used to and I still get these small flats that take more than 1 complete dh run to deflate.
    Im thinking in buying some Slime for my tube. Would it stop pinchflats?? (sorry for the thread hijack)
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member

My Tire Exploded!

My Tire (2.3 Gazzalodi) was reaching the end of its sidewall life, the tread was still pretty good. I had been doing some riding on some harsh limestone trails a few days before and a tear started to develop in the sidewall. I stopped riding it and got to looking for a new rear tire. Then one day while it was just sitting in the living room, the sidewall ripped open, the steel bead (steel wire) supporting the sidewall came out of its casing, ripped through the downhill tube with 35 PSI in it and BOOM! Damn good thing I wasn't riding it when that happened!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I was driving to the trailhead with my bike in the back of my car (hatchback) and was luckily stopped at a light when BOOM! It sounded like a shotgun going off, the car was filled with a mist of baby powder and my heart missed a couple of beats. When I checked out the wheel 17" piece of the Trek Matrix rim had blown off the side. The rim was only a few months old and was not worn out and trek did give me a credit at the shop where I had it replaced with a Mavic.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Giant Anthem

Good one

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I was driving to the trailhead with my bike in the back of my car (hatchback) and was luckily stopped at a light when BOOM! It sounded like a shotgun going off, the car was filled with a mist of baby powder and my heart missed a couple of beats. When I checked out the wheel 17" piece of the Trek Matrix rim had blown off the side. The rim was only a few months old and was not worn out and trek did give me a credit at the shop where I had it replaced with a Mavic.

Whoa, thats a good one!

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    That is a scary one. Can you imagine what would have happened if there was slime in that tube. Green crap all over that car! That is one of the reasons that I don't like slime. I have had that stuff cover the whole shop area while puting it in a customers tire. Did I say that I hate slime,... Kay I HATE SLIME!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"