mtbr member

Is this tire done

Just went out to get on my Mojo SL and noticed the rear tire was flat. I have a tubeless ground control 2.1 grid on there. So I pumped some air in it ,and noticed the leak is right at the bead. I am running carbon roval wheels. There seems to be a bump on the tire on either side of where the air is coming out. It is a very slow leak, but you can hear and feel it. The tire is fairly old and it has been on there for possibly a year.I have had to put a minimum of air in it over that time. I could put a tube in but my concern is the bumps or bubbles. Is this a sign that the tire is kaput, done as far as tubeless goes, and would it be dangerous to even run it with a tube?

Kick Start My Heart
    Probably. Pics will definitely help here.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    It would be hard to see in a photo, but when I run my fingers around I can definitly feel the two bumps and the air is leaking between them.

Chris Bling
    Is the tubeless tape compromised at that point? Take the tire off and see if your tape has lost its 'sticky' and moved around.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    There are multiple layers in you tire and what ever tire sealant you use over time it degrades the rubber. Sometimes tubeless you get more than a season out of a tire. I will not run tubeless in my DH bike simply because as little as it is ridden the tire will last longer without it. Tires are cheaper than a wreck they may cause, I would rather buy a new tire than even carry a bike for miles. If you want to test the tire here is what I recommend, inflate a few pounds past what the max is for that tire and rim combo do a few little bunny hops. If the bulges are bigger the tire is toast. On a car or truck tire any bulge or ripple in the sidewall the tire is toast. My two cents, tires, brakes, helmets if there is doubt throw it out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hedonistic View Post
    ..... if there is doubt, throw it out.
    goes well with a lot of things in life.
    My bike MCA kinda climbs like a billy-goat. WOO WOO!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yes it does, what does a rim cost compared to a well worn tire? How about a helmet, not even the worst case about 150 for my rim and labor, 180 for the helmet, and 150 for an ER visit. 480 for a bad crash and my most expensive tire is a Butcher at about 85 for a brand new one. Most of my tires 35 to 50 new. Not that I am overly cautious but I often replace tires before their time.