mtbr member

Tire Delima, Anyone run a non UST Ardent as a Tubeless Tire - Opinions?

So here's my situation. I bought a new Intense Tracer and I'm loving the bike. however I wanted to run a 2.25 to 2.3 tubeless tire (maxxis ignitors or schwalbe nobby nicks) on it which would let me ride the bike with the confidence of my DH bike in 6 Inch mode and still have a low rolling resistance for ripping with XC crowd. However my shop didn't have any in stock so in the mean time they let me run a set of 2.25 Ardents.

Now I'm really liking the feel of the 2.25 Ardents, so I figured no problem solution is run either a set of 2.25 tubeless Maxxis ADvantages or Ardents as they have similar thread design but then realized the Ardents can't be bought tubeless, and the ADvantages is only available in a 2.1. So now I'm left with a dilemma go with the 2.35 ignitors and risk being disappointed (I expect them to roll better with the lower profile knobs but do not expet they will bit anywhere near as well.) Or what I'm leaning towards is trying to mount a set of 2.25 Ardents (or ADvantages) to my 819's with stans. Anyway have any success or horror stories about mounting a non ust Maxxis tire to a UST rim?

mtbr member
    Dust,

There are High Roller 26x2.35 available in UST, also.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I run my 2.25 and 2.4 Ardents with stans on flow rims with no issues, they mount up really well!!!!
    Pinnarello Dogma FP2006

Training for vacation
    A buddy of mine switched to an advantage 2.25 front and cross mark 2.1 rear non-tubless tires on SLR's w/ stan’s goop. These were run w/ tubes on older mavic 517’s for about 100 miles before the switch to tubeless on the slr’s.

He had one instance of burping on the front which caused him to crash. I blame him and not the tire. This was probably the 2nd or 3rd ride as tubeless. He had not checked the pressure in a while and I believe that it was installed incorrectly (1st time tubless). He also had a sloppy landing which had him hitting the tire on its side wall.

We remounted the tire using proper methods and checked to make sure the bead was evenly and properly on the bead hook.

We recently did about 80 rocky fast miles in Pisgah, NC followed by about another 60 miles in central Fl. After putting on the tire properly there has been no more drama.

mtbr member
    I run a 2.25 Ardent tubeless as my front tire on my Tracer, 2.25 Advantage for the rear. No problems, in fact the Maxxis tires convert to tubeless very easily.

not so super...
    I've been running the Ardent tubeless on Stans Flow rims for quite some time with no issues.
    Nothing to see here.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell
    Dust,

There are High Roller 26x2.35 available in UST, also.

Are the 2.35 tires due for resize anytime soon to be closer to the stated size like the 2.25 and 2.4?
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    awesome thanks for all the feedback guys. looks like I'm going to pull the tubes out and try running the ardents as tubeless. Scott W. curious did you find the advantage rolls much better then the ardent, loss of any grip? I was thinking about the Ardent/Advantage combo as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust_Head
    awesome thanks for all the feedback guys. looks like I'm going to pull the tubes out and try running the ardents as tubeless. Scott W. curious did you find the advantage rolls much better then the ardent, loss of any grip? I was thinking about the Ardent/Advantage combo as well.
    I honestly can't say what tires roll more easily. I had used the Advantage as a front tire in the 2.4 size and really liked it, especially in loose rock so I thought I'd try it on the back. Both tire seems to hook up well, my riding is mostly loose over hard pack or rocks and rubble. I put the Advantage on the back because the tread looks more aggressive than the Ardent so I wanted to see how it hooked up on loose technical climbs. So far it has been very good, haven't tried the Ardent as a rear tire yet.

Be aware that a 2.25 advantage on an 819 rim will buzz the Tracer seatube in the 6" travel position if you bottom. If you're running a wider rim it might be a non issue. I may try a 2.1 advantage next time.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Scott I found out about the buzzing last night as I wore through my front derailleur cable as I had it coming around the back of the seat tube!!!! Also while we are on the topic of issues. I've had an issue with dropping the chain and it getting stuck up in the VPP pivot last night as well. (I'll admit to have been racing with guys on V10's on the tracer without a chain tensioner so I can't fault the bike though). Out of curiosity you wouldn't be running any type tensioning device on yours would you. I'm worried most options aren't going to work in 5.5" setting because there isn't much clearance between the stays and the chain?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Ardent & Advantage

I've been running Ardent 2.25's on 819 rim as front tire for about a year, using a tire sealant, 25-26psi(on my floor pump gauge) and no burping.
    Running 2.1 non-tubeless Advantage on the rear, also 819 rim with same tire sealant, seem ok, not so good in the wet or in thick sand, do slip on rocks at times as well. I prefer the Ardent 2.25 as a rear tire but there is only a hair's breadth clearance between it and my seatstay brace so took it off again after trying it on the trail and jamming stones etc. in the gap...
    I can see sidewall wear on both tires now as their sidewalls are obviously not as strong as tubeless tires.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    I don't run a chain guide and so far I haven't dropped my chain.