mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Tire defective from factory

I found this interesting and thought you might too.

I got a new tire form my TLR setup, and it took longer than usual for it to stop leaking down. After a few rides it finally stopped.

I didn't ride for a few days, and when I went to use it again I found that the sealant had been leaking thru the sidewalls.

The LBS is replacing it under warranty. They are out of stock but ordered another and let me keep this one until the new comes in so I have something to ride. Just as well they were out -- I would rather get a replacement from a different lot that wasn't manufactured on Monday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tire defective from factory-bad-bontrager-tire-2012-11-30-small.jpg  

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    I found this interesting and thought you might too.

I got a new tire form my TLR setup, and it took longer than usual for it to stop leaking down. After a few rides it finally stopped.

I didn't ride for a few days, and when I went to use it again I found that the sealant had been leaking thru the sidewalls.

The LBS is replacing it under warranty. They are out of stock but ordered another and let me keep this one until the new comes in so I have something to ride. Just as well they were out -- I would rather get a replacement from a different lot that wasn't manufactured on Monday
    1. What tire, model and version, is that?

2. Tubeless ready tires commonly weep sealant though the casing for a while.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's the Bonty 2 29x2.2 Team Issue TLR.

Tubeless ready tires commonly weep sealant though the casing for a while.
    Interesting. The two that came on the bike (same model) didn't leak other than a small amount around the rim for one ride. This tire is working fine so far, but I didn't know if it was normal or not so I took it to the LBS where I got it to ask.

The dealer readily agreed it was defective. He said he had seen it on other brands of tires, but this was the first Bontrager.

Anyway, Trek warrants it -- he took a photo to send to Trek in lieu of returning the tire to them. I would rather have one that doesn't leak over one that does.

mtbr member
    From your post - "took longer than usual for it to stop leaking down...it finally stopped"
    "didn't ride for a few days and when I went to use it again sealant was leaking thru the sidewall"

Did the tire hold air for a few days after it stopped "leaking down"? If it held air after the initial setup you're probably fine. I've done lots of tubeless and weeping sidewall is a common thing with some tires, some never weep. If it weeps without losing much pressure I would just ride.

One of the lighter tires I use, racing Ralph in the evo version, weeps like a baby (like your pic but more) but still holds pressure. Another tire, the heavier rampage, never weeps from the initial setup. All my tires will require some topping off of air if not ridden for a while or if temps drop severely.

Bottom line is ride as much as you can and if it holds pressure don't cry over weeping sealant

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes, it holds air several days now with no measurable drop in pressure.

So what's going on? The seeping is appears to happening with respect to the fabric strips, not everywhere. So I take it there must be holes that are larger than the normal porosity that tires (and balloons) have . How much rubber are sidewalls supposed to have?

Also, there is Bontrager Superjuice in the new tire. The old ones used Stans. Could that be the reason I didn't see the weeping before? Maybe latex molecules are larger than glycol molecules.

Anyway, I'll accept the replacement, and if that does the same thing, I won't cry about it.

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yes, it holds air several days now with no measurable drop in pressure.

So what's going on? The seeping is appears to happening with respect to the fabric strips, not everywhere. So I take it there must be holes that are larger than the normal porosity that tires (and balloons) have . How much rubber are sidewalls supposed to have?

Also, there is Bontrager Superjuice in the new tire. The old ones used Stans. Could that be the reason I didn't see the weeping before? Maybe latex molecules are larger than glycol molecules.

Anyway, I'll accept the replacement, and if that does the same thing, I won't cry about it.

Thanks!
    The amount of rubber in the casing does vary from tire to tire. I even have some TLR tires than do not need sealant.

The Team Issue models generally have less rubber and thinner casings to be more supple and lighter weight. Team Issue version are usually not used as OEM spec for cost reasons. A bike with Mustang rims is more likely to come with the heavier/thicker Expert level tires.

Super Juice does not seal casing as easily as latex based sealants. Weeps more and can take longer to finally seal.

I would not call the tire defective.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    yep - I have seen several tires that did this at first, only to stop and function properly for their lifespan.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have had tires that wept too, but this is a lot, especially for a TLR tire. Have you weight the tire? Chances are it's significantly under advertised weight with that little rubber on the sidewalls.

By the way, Stan's is the real 'super juice'. Somehow the sealants that tire manufacturers come up with just don't quite cut it.

Fat & Single
    Yeah it should stop pretty quick. Not sure on the tubeless sealant, i too always use stans, ive had really good luck with it over the years so i stick with it. Theres many who swear by other sealants and even homebrewed mixtures YMMV.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, good idea to weigh the"defective" tire and its replacement.

First I have to figure out which one I have. I was wrong about it being a 2. I don't know what I have. It is a 1 -- the sidewall says 29 1 Exp 2.20 [56/56] in fancy lettering.

Bontrager: 29-1 (Model #09484) click on Details.

I ASSumed it was one of the Team Issue TLRs because those are the only "TLR"s listed. But I see the Team Issue TLR is not listed in 2.20. I can't find a number on the tire corresponding to Part No.

I also have gotten good results from Stans. But as winter came on and the air got dry, Stans was drying out really fast -- 4 - 6 weeks. I got to where I was adding water every so often. And it is hard to clean the mess from inside the tire. So I decided to try Super Juice.

I have heard bad things about it, so I purposely put a pinhole in the tread before getting stranded far from my car. It sealed right up. I caught my front tire on the edge of a wooden bridge and burped some air, but it sealed right back. The main culprit around here is these long, thin greenbriar thorns, which aren't much bigger than a pin. We'll see.

I am doing a bike for my son, and am tempted to try Slime tubeless. Can't beat the price. Worst case it fails and HE has to push it out .
    Last edited by DennisF; 12-02-2012 at 02:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    My first tubless ready was a set of Specialized SWerks Captain's...they leaked Stan's through the sidewalls and the durability was really poor when riding in the super sharp limestone that I ride in the winter.

I moved to the regular SZ Captains (thicker sidewall) for my front and a Hutchinson Toro for the rear. The regular Captains hold air much better and no sidewall seeps. The Toro seeped sealant thru the sidewalls at first and then stopped. Both of these have been super durable.

After the first year i took the tires off and really cleaned up the rim hooks on the wheels and on the tires. I added Stan's and air and they now keep pressure for weeks.

I've used Caffe Latex and Hutchinson Protectair in my road tubeless...they both seem thiner than the Stans. Both do the job for me.

With Stans in the mtn bike I need to refill every two months or so.

Enjoy your rides...

Save Jesus

First I have to figure out which one I have. I was wrong about it being a 2. I don't know what I have. It is a 1 -- the sidewall says 29 1 Exp 2.20 [56/56] in fancy lettering.

Bontrager: 29-1 (Model #09484) click on Details.

I ASSumed it was one of the Team Issue TLRs because those are the only "TLR"s listed. But I see the Team Issue TLR is not listed in 2.20. I can't find a number on the tire corresponding to Part No.
    Your tire is the expert version. Not TLR. You have no basis for complaint.