Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lew242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    491

    Tire decision, please recommend

    Conditions generally dry rocky 'Arizona-esque' but no cactus and lots of thorns (Shandong, Province China). Bike trail full suspension running tubeless ready Spank Oozy wheels, intending to run tubeless mostly for puncture protection. Bike is Trail/light AM go all day machine. Sometimes may need to go on the road

    Tough enough to go all day in rocky terrain, fast rolling and enough bite to rail corners ideally under 700 grams 2.2-2.35.

    The list:
    Maxxis Minion 2.35 folding single ply
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 Snakeskin
    Specialized Purgatory 2.3 (what's the difference with control or not?)
    WTB Bronson 2.3
    Maxxis ADvantage 2.25
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    892
    I have the Maxxis Ardent in a 26 x 2.4 EXO front and back (about 58 mm carcass, 62 mm tread). I think the 2.25 is considerably smaller, with somewhat different characteristics. I love my 2.4's even though they run 820 grams (and I am a bit of a weight weenie). I got the Ardents for a Moab trip and am sold. The guy at my shop used the 2.25 in Moab and also loved them. I also have the Nobby Nic, in a 2.25 and a 2.4, both snakeskin and both trailstar compound as front tires. I like the braking and steering on the 2.4 more. I live in northern Utah and run them all tubeless on a Pivot 5.7c with a Tricon 1700 wheelset, around 22-24 psi front, 26-28 psi rear on all.
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 04-17-2013 at 01:58 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    46
    I can only comment on the ardent. I just picked one up for my front wheel. I was expecting to wash out a couple of times (reviews account for washout) but that didn't happen. The ardent made me feel very confident. Granted I only have about 5 miles on the tire. The trail was fairly smooth with rocks and roots. I felt it had very good bite in the corners and it seemed to roll well. I am very happy with my purchase so far. I'm looking to get out on a more rocky trail this weekend to see how it handles that.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by FuelEX8guy View Post
    I can only comment on the ardent. I just picked one up for my front wheel. I was expecting to wash out a couple of times (reviews account for washout) but that didn't happen. The ardent made me feel very confident. Granted I only have about 5 miles on the tire. The trail was fairly smooth with rocks and roots. I felt it had very good bite in the corners and it seemed to roll well. I am very happy with my purchase so far. I'm looking to get out on a more rocky trail this weekend to see how it handles that.
    I had heard that, because there is a bit of a gap between the center knobs and the outside knobs, as you roll over, there's a small point at which the tire doesn't bite. I haven't experienced that, but I'm not aggressive enough of a downhiller that it would make a difference to me. I also was amazed at how well the tires roll.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    46
    I got to really ride the crap out of the ardent the other day. Clean hardpack sigle track with pieces of loose odlver hard and roots. Man this is a fast tire, I noticed that when you are taking turns at speed you HAVE to lean the bike. It is a more aggressive way to ride but it also builds confidence. (Its fun too!) It does try to slide out on loose over hardpack. I absolutely love this tire. I still need to take it on a more rocky and rooty trail.

  6. #6
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,644

    Tire decision, please recommend

    WHHHAT! NO GEAX TNT TIRES ON THE LIST! Sorry for yelling, but my Geax TNT tires with the Saguaro and Gato demonstrating good wear are very tough hombres. Kinda heavy though.

  7. #7
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,935
    I've only used the Ardent on your list. Loved em.
    I also agree with DrDon... Geax Saguaro is awesome.
    I like turtles

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lew242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    491
    I've settled on Minion 2.35 60A folding front and Nobby Nic 2.25 Pacestar snakeskin on the back, both tubeless, bloody good combo. Tried the Nobby Nic front and rear, but it just doesn't grip as well as a Minion, but Nobby Nic rolls faster out back and digs in on the climbs better than the Minion.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,061
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    I've settled on Minion 2.35 60A folding front and Nobby Nic 2.25 Pacestar snakeskin on the back, both tubeless, bloody good combo. Tried the Nobby Nic front and rear, but it just doesn't grip as well as a Minion, but Nobby Nic rolls faster out back and digs in on the climbs better than the Minion.
    I think you'll like that combo. If you feel like the rear NN is wearing too fast, you could try the Ardent 2.25 Exo next. I like it as a rear tire for general trail riding.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  10. #10
    no trees are safe
    Reputation: Millfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    490
    I am also surprised nobody mentioned the Geax tires. Geax Mezcal is a great allrounder tire which can handle some road abuse and offers quite a lot grip.
    Panaracer swoop is also a nice tire, although it's almost unknown.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lew242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    I think you'll like that combo. If you feel like the rear NN is wearing too fast, you could try the Ardent 2.25 Exo next. I like it as a rear tire for general trail riding.
    Yeah, next time I might try Ardents front and rear as I have this weird disorder where I like both tires to be the same tread pattern and profile front and rear. To compensate I usually run the front a softer compound and the front harder, not sure should I run a lust or exo up front?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,061
    Quote Originally Posted by lew242 View Post
    Yeah, next time I might try Ardents front and rear as I have this weird disorder where I like both tires to be the same tread pattern and profile front and rear. To compensate I usually run the front a softer compound and the front harder, not sure should I run a lust or exo up front?
    Well, the front and rear tire generally see different loads, levels of braking force, and of course climbing traction is only applicable on the rear. So you shouldn't get too hung up on running the same tread pattern front and rear, imo. The only time I prefer the same tire front and rear is sometimes on a DH bike, where I've got more weight placed up front while descending.

    The LUST version is overkill for most people, especially on the front. But it is the most durable. Exo is fine for most, and it's considerably lighter.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lew242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    491
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    So you shouldn't get too hung up on running the same tread pattern front and rear, imo.
    I understand, it's more that I'm into a matching tire profile (height, width and shape), rather than tread pattern.

    I might try the Ardent EVO 2.25 front and rear but I'm open to another tire that's capable and matches up near perfectly on the front

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lew242's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    491
    I'm not against trying Geax, but if you're suggesting Geax and you haven't extensively tried Maxxis and Schwalbe tires already any opinion doesn't seem that valuable. However if you have tried loads of tires on the market and genuinely love Geax then that is very interesting. Just that I've looked at their tires, nothing stands out to me, but I could be wrong.

    Just that there are still loads of people riding on tires like Nevegals that swear by them, but haven't tried other tires like Minions, which in my opinion are a benchmark, can they be beaten? Yeah, I'm always willing to try to find something.

Similar Threads

  1. Please recommend a tubeless tire for the 819 Mavic
    By client_9 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 04:59 PM
  2. Recommend me a tire...
    By bopApocalypse in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM
  3. Revival of the Fittest! Tire Decision Time
    By dustyduke22 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-23-2011, 07:52 PM
  4. Recommend a front tire
    By nabooska in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-05-2011, 06:00 PM
  5. Recommend me a good tire
    By tartosuc in forum Commuting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •