mtbr member
    Jul 2013

tire compatibility with Bontrager Race-Disc Tubeless

Hello. Pretty basic interrogation I guess but...

I need to change my 2 tubeless tires. Rear one is almost dead and the front not adapted anymore for my riding. I have never changed them myself so I'm a little bit worried about compatibility with my wheel set (bontrager race disc tubeless)
    Will average tubeless tire like Maxis, continental or Schwab will fit on my wheel?

Is it really as simple as it seems on youtube to do it yourself? (Get on side of the tire on the wheel, 2 cup of sealant, then the other side of the tire on the wheel, rotate gently and inflate?)

My LBS doesn't have many tire choice so I rather order on internet and do it myself...

Thanks for any advice...

LP

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Let me bump this thread. I was wondering the same thing about my Mustang tubeless-ready rims. I THINK any tubless-ready tire is good to go, but am not sure. And doubtless some are better than others. I cut a sidewall and needed one in a hurry so I just got another Bonty from the shop that sold me my bike.

Is it really as simple as it seems on youtube to do it yourself?
    Yeah, pretty much. Way easier than screwing with tubes IMO.

On the video he uses pliers to remove the valve core. I'd get a proper tool for this. I got Park's which I am not totally happy with. It won't fit over the thumb nut on the Bonty valve cores. I fixed it with a dremel tool, but would go with Stan's if I had it to do over again.

I also got the asymmetric rim strip on backwards. Look on the UNDERSIDE of the strip to align it with the channel in the rim and you will be good.

Get a Presta/Schrader adapter so you can use a compressor. It isn't that tough to get them to seat with a good hand pump, but is super-easy with a compressor or portable air tank.

Stan's goo works the best, but is messy, drying out quickly and leaving clumps and strings of latex. I have Superjuice in my bike, and just plain old Slime tubeless goo (not the type made specifically for bicycles) from Wal-Mart in my son's. I will probably switch to Slime when I use up the Superjuice. It works fine and is way cheaper. Sealing doesn't seem to be an issue. I wouldn't be surprised if oatmeal would work in a pinch

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    Hello. Pretty basic interrogation I guess but...

I need to change my 2 tubeless tires. Rear one is almost dead and the front not adapted anymore for my riding. I have never changed them myself so I'm a little bit worried about compatibility with my wheel set (bontrager race disc tubeless)
    Will average tubeless tire like Maxis, continental or Schwab will fit on my wheel?

Is it really as simple as it seems on youtube to do it yourself? (Get on side of the tire on the wheel, 2 cup of sealant, then the other side of the tire on the wheel, rotate gently and inflate?)

My LBS doesn't have many tire choice so I rather order on internet and do it myself...

Thanks for any advice...

LP
    As long as you have the Bonty TLR rimstrips installed, your rims are UST compatible. Any UST spec tubeless ready tire works.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks Shiggy. Another question: Are UST and TLR (tubeless ready) different technologies or different terms for the same thing? My understanding is that UST has a tube or liner sort of built-in, and does not require goo. And TLR is lighter. Am I correct?

Is TLR just a Trek thing?

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Thanks Shiggy. Another question: Are UST and TLR (tubeless ready) different technologies or different terms for the same thing? My understanding is that UST has a tube or liner sort of built-in, and does not require goo. And TLR is lighter. Am I correct?

Is TLR just a Trek thing?

TIA.
    Most tubeless ready tires use UST spec/compatible beads. The casings do not use as much rubber as "full" UST tires and are designed to be used with sealant to make them airtight.

Bonty TLR (simply means TubeLess Ready) is UST compatible.

Unfortunately, there are some "tubeless ready" tires (Kenda SCT, NoTubes, a few others), and many "tubeless ready" rims (Crank Bros, Velocity, NoTubes, Sun...) that are not UST spec.

My favorite sealants are Geax Pit Stop and Slime Pro. Both work very well and I have yet to have either clump.

But I only use sealant when absolutely necessary. I always mount the tire "dry" and see how it holds pressure. If it goes flat in a day or so, it gets sealant, filled through the valve stem.

I currently have a Geax Gato TnT (tubeless ready) on a WTB Frequency i23 w/o sealant that is still holding pressure after 2weeks.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the informative post. I hope a lot of people read it because I doubt I'm the only one that didn't understand this UST/TLR business

The tires without sealant: how do you handle punctures? Around here I might get by for a ride or two without running over a greenbrier vine.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Thanks for the informative post. I hope a lot of people read it because I doubt I'm the only one that didn't understand this UST/TLR business

The tires without sealant: how do you handle punctures? Around here I might get by for a ride or two without running over a greenbrier vine.
    I do not ride over the thorns. One thorn puncture in the past 10 years that required repair during the ride--tubes and tubeless.

Otherwise, same procedure for sealant use. If the tire will not hold pressure for a day or two, use it.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Finally received my tires... I wasn't able to find them in LBSs in my town so ordered them online. Shipping was really expensive, then the package got stocked at customs for more than a week. Plus I had to pay 45$ of custom charge!!!!

Anyway, my bike looks like a monster truck now... I'm wondering though what should be the minimum clearance in between my front tire and the arch of my front suspension... Right now, I'd say it's around 1/4 of an inch meseared near side knobs, maybe a little more. Rooling on pavement or grass was ok...