mtbr member

Tire Clearance Opinions Please

I just got my Lynskey Ridgeline 29. The frame looks awesome and Iím excited to get it built up, though it may take a while as I need to save up for the parts.

The manufacturer website says it has clearance for a 2.5Ē tire. Iím measuring about 3.5Ē, here is a pic:

Tire Clearance Opinions Please-377d2845-5cdc-4cec-bcc3-523ba497687c.jpg

And here is a pic with my XC race wheel set, a 2.25Ē Schwalbe Racing Ralph on i26 rims:

Tire Clearance Opinions Please-0d9254e1-7f64-4619-8b81-fd9e2765ab79.jpg

I want to fit as fat a tire I can on this frame while still leaving normal clearances around the rear tire. My question is how much clearance is normal? About 5mm? I ordered a 2.6Ē Maxxis Rekon, which actually typically measures at around 2.53Ē, and Iím guessing this frame will allow those tires without a problem. I was thinking 30m internal wheels, but perhaps I could get away with wider, any thoughts there? The bike use is bikepacking and singletrack wandering. Once I get the Maxxis Rekon tire Iíll mount it up to my 26mm rim and that should give me a really good idea of how wide a rim I can go up to... Any thoughts appreciated.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Its not width you have to worry about, its diameter, so it doesnt rub at center tread.

Side clearance a 3.0 tire would clear no problem. Diameter may be too big at center tread though for a 3.0. A 2.6 isnt even of concern here at all though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks like center clearance is good and would get more important if you'll be riding in muddy conditions. You should be able to go 35mm on a Rekon. 40mm would be worth investigating for some front choices where you have a Boost fork. Maybe someone in the Plus forum has experience.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Looks like center clearance is good and would get more important if you'll be riding in muddy conditions. You should be able to go 35mm on a Rekon. 40mm would be worth investigating for some front choices where you have a Boost fork. Maybe someone in the Plus forum has experience.
    How do we know center clearance is good?

He didn't take a photo of the tire clearance at the seat tube or the chain stay (and brace).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Barely in control
    In the dry, clearance is really not much of an issue. Even at 1mm, you'll just get the occasional pebble stuck in the tread hitting the frame. I have a bike with 1mm in the rear at the top and it does fine. For the sides you'll need more for frame flex.

In the mud you'll just have to experiment.

mtbr member
    Here is a pic of the chainstays with the 2.25Ē RaRa tire on the i26 rim (and for some reason my pics always get rotated). I measured and there is one inch of clearance down there on the center tread:

Tire Clearance Opinions Please-5c68998d-9100-4d2e-b28a-a8aa465e6ab9.jpg

It looks like the 2.6Ē Rekon will fit nicely with a little room to spare. I could go bigger in the front with the Niner Rigid RDO boost fork (fits up to 3.0Ē) but I may just match the rear with another Rekon 2.6Ē to keep the weight down. With clearance not being a problem, Iím looking at the Light Bicycle i33mm wheels.

Ahhh the pain....
    I have a 2010 Ridgeline that was quite flexible and I could easily rub a tire when getting out of the saddle and really mashing. I know the newer ones with the plate stay are stiffer. I would be careful about rubbing and especially rubbing with any mud on your tires. I have seen Ti frames with holes worn by rubbing tires...

mtbr member
    Okay I got a Maxxis 29 x 2.6Ē in the mail, pumped it up to the max 40 psi, mounted to an XC wheel with a 26mm inner width.

https://youtu.be/OywEfk_UCCk

So the question is what wheel width here. I was hoping to get away with a set of Light Bicycle wheels with a 33mm inner width. They also sell a 30mm and 31.6, I put those arenít their modern assymetric designs. Thoughts? The video does a little better job of showing the actual clearances. Itís about a centimeter clearance at the narrowest point, which is down low near the chainstays.

Tire Clearance Opinions Please-eac23d5a-7362-4e20-9e60-c279887d5dbf.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Okay I got a Maxxis 29 x 2.6Ē in the mail, pumped it up to the max 40 psi, mounted to an XC wheel with a 26mm inner width.

https://youtu.be/OywEfk_UCCk

So the question is what wheel width here. I was hoping to get away with a set of Light Bicycle wheels with a 33mm inner width. They also sell a 30mm and 31.6, I put those arenít their modern assymetric designs. Thoughts? The video does a little better job of showing the actual clearances. Itís about a centimeter clearance at the narrowest point, which is down low near the chainstays.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EAC23D5A-7362-4E20-9E60-C279887D5DBF.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	1188325
    I think a lot of people have found that every increase of 2mm in rim will increase the tire by 1mm.

So going up 7mm at the rim will add about 2mm to either side of your tire, and you should be okay.

There's a decent sized thread on this tire, you may be able to pull measurements from someone there to make sure, because every combo is a little different

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I think a lot of people have found that every increase of 2mm in rim will increase the tire by 1mm.

So going up 7mm at the rim will add about 2mm to either side of your tire, and you should be okay.

There's a decent sized thread on this tire, you may be able to pull measurements from someone there to make sure, because every combo is a little different

I measured only 2.5 mm of growth going from a 23mm rim to a 35mm rim. I honestly thought the tire profile would change more. The sidewall support went way up and low pressure performance is better.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    I had the same frame and with a 2.35 IKON on the back and I would get tire rub, the frame was a noodle. Had plenty of clearance, just not when the frame flexed, had to drop down to a 2.25.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    So the question is what wheel width here. I was hoping to get away with a set of Light Bicycle wheels with a 33mm inner width. They also sell a 30mm and 31.6, I put those arenít their modern assymetric designs. Thoughts?
    Carbon is so stiff and has such a high max tension (130kgf ds no problem) that assymetric is pointless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    I measured only 2.5 mm of growth going from a 23mm rim to a 35mm rim. I honestly thought the tire profile would change more. The sidewall support went way up and low pressure performance is better.
    What tire?