mtbr member

This tire chuck made going tubeless sooooo easy...

Picked up the bike last night, pulled the wheels today and converted the Racing Ralphs and DT Swiss Tricons in half the time it's taken me to do other wheels/tires. All because of this little tire chuck from Sears:

The key function is the lack of a needle actuator in the chuck - you just put the hose on the valve - the presta valve WITH the core in and a schrader adapter, and depress the thumb actuator - PFFT! Full and seated.

So the process went...
    - Pull tube out
    - Install tubeless valve stem (with core IN)
    - Put tire back on
    - Brush on soapy water
    - Hang wheel from hook (rubber coated, of course)
    - Pop bead off about 4"
    - Dump in sealant
    - Pop bead back on
    - Hit the valve (with core in and schrader adapter on) with compressor
    - Shake, roll, flip, dribble, spin, roll, bounce...
    - Done
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Once you get the process that works for you down, it's usually pretty straightforward. I prefer the ball foot chucks to those above. the typical ones that look like they appear to be able to flow a lot of air, but if you take them apart, the hole inside of the ones I have tried are no more than 1/8" in diameter, though YMMV. Still better than a floor pump.

That said, a ball foot chuck (google it) with a presta-to-schraeder adapter barely screwed on, will flow more air. Even better if you need it, is to remove the core assembly and use an air gun straight into the stem to seat the bead, and then put your finger over the hole until you can quickly re-insert the core assembly.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I use something similar if my Top Peak mtn "hi volume" type pump does not do the trick with the valve core out. This happens once in a while with tires that I have taken on an off a few times.

I just leave the core out, put a stem oring (Mavic) on top of the thumb screw with no shrader adapter. I just blast it up to 50 lbs and everything seats. I wait and hold the chuck on there for 30 sec or so. Then, I slowly let the air out and the tire stays seated. Then, I reinflate like normal.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.