Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    240

    Tire choice and rider weight limits (IRC Mythos and others)

    I remember having an IRC Mythos that completely tore a hole in the middle of the casing going down a rocky section. The casing was paper thin and I'm a tad under 200 lbs. It's the only time I popped a tire. Do you limit tire choice based on weight?

  2. #2
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    I've ran IRC Mythos for years and been over 200lbs most of those years...tires get tears occasionally, that's life

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I've ran IRC Mythos for years and been over 200lbs most of those years...tires get tears occasionally, that's life
    I actually blew up the Mythos, a loud bang then hiss. Tube and tire punctured through. I never realized that could happen, nor do I find it acceptable. An occasional side wall cut is ok. Do you occasionally have to walk back to the trailhead because the tire blew up?

  4. #4
    getting back into it
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyraid
    I actually blew up the Mythos, a loud bang then hiss. Tube and tire punctured through. I never realized that could happen, nor do I find it acceptable. An occasional side wall cut is ok. Do you occasionally have to walk back to the trailhead because the tire blew up?
    I've had to walk back to the trailhead when I endo'd and taco'd my front wheel. That one took me a few minutes just to stand back up. My wheel and helmet suffered the brunt of that one.

    Tire problems? I think mabbe that's what they make tire boots for. I've never had anything I couldn't repair with a patch kit, but I have heard of peeps accidentally running over something bad, and slicing the tire *and* the tube. I'm getting to the point where I'll prolly carry a boot, a tube, etc just in case.

    How big was the hole in the tire? would a boot have covered it? If it's too big, I expect there's nothing you can do. If you're on a long ride, a tube, a foldable tire, and a boot would be the thing. Seems like alot, but it's better than walking ...

  5. #5
    At Work
    Reputation: sxr-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,505
    ran them for years with no issues. 200lbs of ass here!
    2009 Titus FTM

    2009 Gary Fisher Rig

    1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

  6. #6
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyraid
    I actually blew up the Mythos, a loud bang then hiss. Tube and tire punctured through. I never realized that could happen, nor do I find it acceptable. An occasional side wall cut is ok. Do you occasionally have to walk back to the trailhead because the tire blew up?
    I've had to walk back to my car for various reasons over the years...from ripping 16 spokes out of a wheel to a broken handlebar. I have had large holes ripped into my tires from sharp rocks and used energy bar wrappers to boot the tire.

    Parts fail occasionally, that is why companies provide a warranty (if they never failed, warranties would not be offered). If you feel your failure is unacceptable then I recommend you contact IRC.

    To answer your original question...no there is no weight limit on IRC Mythos tires, or other tires that I have ever heard of.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I've had to walk back to my car for various reasons over the years...from ripping 16 spokes out of a wheel to a broken handlebar. I have had large holes ripped into my tires from sharp rocks and used energy bar wrappers to boot the tire.

    Parts fail occasionally, that is why companies provide a warranty (if they never failed, warranties would not be offered). If you feel your failure is unacceptable then I recommend you contact IRC.

    To answer your original question...no there is no weight limit on IRC Mythos tires, or other tires that I have ever heard of.
    I actually cut up the damaged inner tube to use as a tire boot. I had a pinch flat later because I didn't want to inflate the tire too much.

    There's no official weight limit, but the Mythos construction doesn't lend itself for heavier riders IMO. It also depends on riding style, and luck sometimes. In which case, I don't think a lightweight cross country tire could've taken that rock garden. The tire casing is like two sheets of paper thick. Product misapplication in my case.

  8. #8
    No good in rock gardens..
    Reputation: Sideknob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,817
    If you are heavy then you are better off with a larger volume tyre that lets you run lower pressures anyway, regardless of construction. The 2.1 Mythos is tiny.

    Any thin walled, light weight tyre is in mortal danger in sharp, rocky terrain anyway - I've seen 1000g light DH tyres cut open when used as trail bike tyres. Sometimes it can be just bad luck.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •