mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Tire advice - Schwalbe

I'm looking for advice from anyone who's ridden The Schwalbe's.

I'm making the jump to 27.5.

On my 29'r (Superfly 100) I've got a SZ Captain Control 2.2 on the front and a Hutchinson Toro toughskin 2.15 on the back with good results. I tried the thinner sidewall S-Works Captains and the rocks shredded them pretty quickly. I run tubeless.

I'll be riding in the high desert all winter...loose/sharp rocks, some deep sand and gravel...lots of thorns

It looks like there'll be lots of choices next year but I'm in need of some tires for this winter season in the desert.

I'm thinking Hans Dampf and/or Nobby Nic and would love insight as what to run front/ rear.

Hans Dampf 27.5x2.35 Trailstar & Snakeskin front and/or rear

Nobby Nic either 2.75x2.25 Pacestar or... rear

Nobby Nic 2.75x2.35 Pacestar & Snakeskin front or rear

Any advice?

no trees are safe
    From my experience, and people I know Shwalbe do tend to cut sidewalls easily unless you have the reinforced version.

mtbr member
    I do not have a lot of experience with tires in general as I have only been on a mountain bike for one summer, however I am on my third bike already and they all came with different tires. I am currently running Nobby Nic 29x2.35 EVO, Snakeskin, Pacestar, on my Trek Superfly. I ride almost all my miles on and over rocks. I have had no issues with side walls at all. The only thing is the casing seems to bleed a little. The tires do not lose air at all, just get wet spots in between the lugs from time to time. No issue. The traction is incredible.
    I should say I am running tubeless, Stans sealant and Stans Crest rims. I run 20 psi front and 21 psi rear. I weigh 185#