mtbr member

Tioga Red Phoenix tire

I saw these onilne (tubeless, pretty cheap, advertised pretty light). I suppose they're new and no one's tried 'em, but if you have, let us know if they're any good. Likewise if you've even heard anything.

No good in rock gardens..
    I've only used the tube version, as a rear tyre (1.9) for trail riding.

The first one was a kevlar beaded one and it was surprisingly grippy where I ride (loose over hardpack, gravelly and rocky singletrack) I had a few flats at one stage and blamed the tyre (they are very light) but after that no more, so I must have just had a band run. The tyre rolls well and the light weight can be felt. It wore very fast, I only got a couple of months out of it riding XC.

I got a wire beaded replacement which, while still labelled a 1.9 was slightly thinner. All else was the same - including the rapid wear. No more flats with this than any other tyre.

I believe the tubeless ones are 2.0 and have a slightly different tread pattern to the non UST.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

bike dork extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by donpabl0
    I saw these onilne (tubeless, pretty cheap, advertised pretty light). I suppose they're new and no one's tried 'em, but if you have, let us know if they're any good. Likewise if you've even heard anything.
    They're light and grippy, but the tread started to de-laminate on mine after only 5-6 rides. I've heard of others having this problem, so I'd stay away from them. Get some Michelin XCR dry if you're looking for a lightweight tubeless racing tire. That's what I replaced mine with and I'm happy.