T.W.O.

Tioga Psycho Genius 2.1 XC mini review

I've been running the 2.3 PG for a season now and have been very happy with it on the dry condition. Here' the post I put info on 2.3 Tioga Psycho - reborn....

Now I just wanna put a mini review on the 2.1 as they have been a stellar performer to me thought I share it on the forum.

At 688 grams it's not the lightest tires out there but the tire volume is close to many 2.25 or even 2.3 on other brands. The tires are super easy to convert to tubeless using Stan's, it only took about half the time than other standard tires I've tried so far. Casing and sidewall feel stiffer and the fishscale finish provide great looks and attention to detail.

The AI knobs feel taller than the 2.3 version. I started with 34psi on both front and rear and work it down to 28 front and rear it feels about right for me at 185# with gear. Cornering without any sidewall squirming. Mounting direction is recommended that the middle triangle point forward. It's a lesson I learned with my first set.

The ride
    The PG 2.1 feels great on an XC bike I put them on 3 of my XC bikes 2 FS and one soft-tail. For the XC application the tires feel very grippy, traction on the climb is just awesome. I tried climbing some loose/steep chute and it's always there pushing me forward, it's a good combination of lower psi, good compound, and knob design. I'm quite impress, even more impress than the 2.3 version. Rolling Resistance is about on par with 2.1 Rocket Ron and 2.1 SB8 which is awesome.

Cornering on these babies is just plain fun. There's a lot of grip about the same a the Nevegal 2.1 and much better than the sb8 and Rocket Ron it replaced. I took a few corners too hot and no skid still grip very well. When they break traction it's very predictable. I'm loving this tires.

The performance on loose dirt was pretty good as well bigger volume keep the tires from digging/sinking deep into the loose stuff in a few sandy spots on my singletrack.

Things I wish it's better
    Lighter may be under 600g would be a good start.
    This is not a wet or mud tire for sure, the dirt pack up quickly and stay there adding what feels like 5 more pound on each wheel. Safe to say this tire do not shed mud well.

If use in dry condition it's just a great set of tires that work well as front and rear. I highly recommend

No good in rock gardens..
    Nice review. I'd like to try those.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

T.W.O.
    Thanks Sideknob, I said this before and I'll say it again if they make one in a larger wheel format like 650b and 29er it will rock big time. I'll be posting a review on the 29x2.2 soon. I'll keep you posted, after all your post on the PG reborn was the one that got me started on my first pair, Thanks for that.

Cool. Tiogas often run fairly big. The old 1.95 Psycho was more like a 2.1. The 2.1 Extreme XC ( a tyre I quite liked ) was 2.2 or more.

I have not seen any of these Genius in the flesh yet. They look to fit in a similar niche to the 2.25 Maxxis Ardent .

T.W.O.

Smile 29er sneak peek

This was taken before I mounted my tires, they are fairly light for such a high volume tires. Awesome. I'll post the review soon, I hope

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mimi1885;8280054]I've been running the 2.3 PG for a season now and have been very happy with it on the dry condition. Here' the post I put info on 2.3 Tioga Psycho - reborn....

Now I just wanna put a mini review on the 2.1 as they have been a stellar performer to me thought I share it on the forum.

At 688 grams it's not the lightest tires out there but the tire volume is close to many 2.25 or even 2.3 on other brands. The tires are super easy to convert to tubeless using Stan's, it only took about half the time than other standard tires I've tried so far. Casing and sidewall feel stiffer and the fishscale finish provide great looks and attention to detail.

The AI knobs feel taller than the 2.3 version. I started with 34psi on both front and rear and work it down to 28 front and rear it feels about right for me at 185# with gear. Cornering without any sidewall squirming. Mounting direction is recommended that the middle triangle point forward. It's a lesson I learned with my first set.

The ride
    The PG 2.1 feels great on an XC bike I put them on 3 of my XC bikes 2 FS and one soft-tail. For the XC application the tires feel very grippy, traction on the climb is just awesome. I tried climbing some loose/steep chute and it's always there pushing me forward, it's a good combination of lower psi, good compound, and knob design. I'm quite impress, even more impress than the 2.3 version. Rolling Resistance is about on par with 2.1 Rocket Ron and 2.1 SB8 which is awesome.

Cornering on these babies is just plain fun. There's a lot of grip about the same a the Nevegal 2.1 and much better than the sb8 and Rocket Ron it replaced. I took a few corners too hot and no skid still grip very well. When they break traction it's very predictable. I'm loving this tires.

The performance on loose dirt was pretty good as well bigger volume keep the tires from digging/sinking deep into the loose stuff in a few sandy spots on my singletrack.

Things I wish it's better
    Lighter may be under 600g would be a good start.
    This is not a wet or mud tire for sure, the dirt pack up quickly and stay there adding what feels like 5 more pound on each wheel. Safe to say this tire do not shed mud well.

If use in dry condition it's just a great set of tires that work well as front and rear. I highly recommend
    [QUOTE=mimi1885;8280054]

How does the size of the PG 2.1 compare to the size of the Nevegal 2.1?

I find it especially interesting at how well the tubeless setup is working for you. What type of wheels do you have these on? I have been considering these tires but have been hesitating due to the lack of a tubeless ready or UST version. I am really uncertain at how well the PG would work tubeless on my Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels.Thanks for the review.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinone View Post

How does the size of the PG 2.1 compare to the size of the Nevegal 2.1?

I find it especially interesting at how well the tubeless setup is working for you. What type of wheels do you have these on? I have been considering these tires but have been hesitating due to the lack of a tubeless ready or UST version. I am really uncertain at how well the PG would work tubeless on my Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels.Thanks for the review.
    It's bit wider than Nevegal 2.1 which is 53 the PG 2.1 is 56. The conversion of the Tioga has been very easy and simple to me with all kinds of rims. I've done Mavic 819, 823, SL, DT Swiss, ZTR 355. It just pop straight in and I used the air compressor to pump it up lube the bead with Schwalbe EasyFit tire lube add Stan's and pretty much it.

I usually have to set the tire about 10-15 mins on each side but with TG I need a few mins each side to make sure. It's similar to TLR or UST type tire installation.

Here's some pic of the width. The Nevegal I took didn't focus well so I only show the Excavator which is just as wide at 2.1.

T.W.O.
    Thanks for the rep

mtbr member
    Hi mimi1885,
    I saw in your PG 2.3 post that you have an ML8, which happens to be my main bike. I am looking for new tire in the rear for the summer (dry, dusty, loose, not very rocky). Your reviews for both tires seem to fit the bill for me pretty well. Just can't decide if I should go with PG 2.1 or 2.3. The 2.1 seems to be a pretty wide 2.1. My Trail king 2.2 on Mavic 819 is maybe just 1mm wider at the casing than the 2.1 PG you pictured with the gauge.

Did you feel any big difference in rolling resistance between the PG 2.1 vs. 2.3? If not, I'll probably go with the 2.3.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzywater View Post
    Hi mimi1885,
    I saw in your PG 2.3 post that you have an ML8, which happens to be my main bike. I am looking for new tire in the rear for the summer (dry, dusty, loose, not very rocky). Your reviews for both tires seem to fit the bill for me pretty well. Just can't decide if I should go with PG 2.1 or 2.3. The 2.1 seems to be a pretty wide 2.1. My Trail king 2.2 on Mavic 819 is maybe just 1mm wider at the casing than the 2.1 PG you pictured with the gauge.

Did you feel any big difference in rolling resistance between the PG 2.1 vs. 2.3? If not, I'll probably go with the 2.3.
    ML8 as a main bike, me too love mine.

The 2.3 is 4mm wider than 2.1, but the 2.1 has a tad taller knob (0.5mm). I don't feel the difference on the rolling resistance between the two. It's about a quarter pound difference between the two. My preference is the biggest tires I can fit. There's plenty of grip on both tires, though I have not put the 2.1 on my ML8 though. My next plan on the ML8 tires combo would be running it 69er with TG29 in the front it's such an amazing tires I've been running it on my other bikes. This is a surprise to me as well because I'm a Kenda for life kind of guy

Go with 2.3 if you want more robust tires for your condition, but if not needed 2.1 is just fine.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the additional input....2.3 it is.

TRANCER
    I am looking to try new tires and have my eyes on the Bronson 2.1's. But these look very promising as well. Great input by Mimi as always
    Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Bringing this thread back to life...

I have been running the Nev 2.35 DTC up front and the Nev 2.1 in the back of my Ibis Mojo SL. (both with stan's juice)
    I canīt live with such a huge drag in rolling resistance anymore; the Nevegals are sooo slow!

I recently replaced my rear tire for a WTB Exiwolf 2.1 Race, that was hanging around in my garage. What a huge difference from the Nev 2.1. The Exiwolf is such a fast tire, and no significant change in gripping hability as well! But it's a very Xc oriented tire, and I am looking for something more robust to equal my riding style.

I have already decided that I will give the Tioga Psycho Genius 2.1 a try on the rear, but I am a little afraid of having it as a front tire as well - in this case the 2.3 version.

I ride mostly in dry conditions, from hardpack to loose gravel and rocks, but we can't get away from mud sometimes... My riding style is from hardcore XC more towards AM, with some runs at a DH course as well, but no big jumps.

My question is: Does the Tioga PG 2.3 has enough lateral grip to replace the Nevegal 2.35 DTC as a front tire?

If so, then I will go with 2.3 front and 2.1 in the back...

Any idea?

Cheers

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu Guilhon View Post
    Bringing this thread back to life...

I have been running the Nev 2.35 DTC up front and the Nev 2.1 in the back of my Ibis Mojo SL. (both with stan's juice)
    I canīt live with such a huge drag in rolling resistance anymore; the Nevegals are sooo slow!

I recently replaced my rear tire for a WTB Exiwolf 2.1 Race, that was hanging around in my garage. What a huge difference from the Nev 2.1. The Exiwolf is such a fast tire, and no significant change in gripping hability as well! But it's a very Xc oriented tire, and I am looking for something more robust to equal my riding style.

I have already decided that I will give the Tioga Psycho Genius 2.1 a try on the rear, but I am a little afraid of having it as a front tire as well - in this case the 2.3 version.

I ride mostly in dry conditions, from hardpack to loose gravel and rocks, but we can't get away from mud sometimes... My riding style is from hardcore XC more towards AM, with some runs at a DH course as well, but no big jumps.

My question is: Does the Tioga PG 2.3 has enough lateral grip to replace the Nevegal 2.35 DTC as a front tire?

If so, then I will go with 2.3 front and 2.1 in the back...

Any idea?

Cheers
    The thing about grip is that you would not know how much you need until you have gone pass the traction point especially in the front. I ran Excavator 2.35 DTC front and El Moco 2.35 DTC rear for a long time as well as many 2.35 and 2.1 Nev f/r on my other bikes before I switch over to using both size of PG in just about every combination.

What I can tell you is this, the weakenss of PG is mud, that's it. It's not a good mud condition tire. The rest of the time I've yet to push it pass it's traction limit. I came close with SB8 and Rocket Ron and El Moco in the front.

After more than 12moths on a few sets of PG I have to say that I'm still very impress with the tire and looking forward to the new size and hopefully 650b

Good info mimi.

There is another Psycho coming out - the Genius Venture. An interesting / odd looking beast.

Do a Google image search and you will see it.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Good info mimi.

There is another Psycho coming out - the Genius Venture. An interesting / odd looking beast.

Do a Google image search and you will see it.
    I know I've been waiting for it since early last year hopefully it's coming soon. I'll be testing them out on my HD.

BTW, I found myself strangely loyal to Tioga after trying out most other brands.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thank you Mimi!

I think I will try the 2.3/2.1 on my bike...

I believe the 2.3 ill be too wide ti fit in a Mojo SL... Any thoughts about it?

Cheers,

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu Guilhon View Post
    Thank you Mimi!

I think I will try the 2.3/2.1 on my bike...

I believe the 2.3 ill be too wide ti fit in a Mojo SL... Any thoughts about it?

Cheers,
    2.3 is not too wide for the Mojo I have them on mine no problem as the matter of fact the original mojo fit 650b both quasi-moto and Neomoto.

It's a few more grams heavier than 2.1 but larger volume and TL conversion with Stans is just a joy

Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I know I've been waiting for it since early last year hopefully it's coming soon. I'll be testing them out on my HD.

BTW, I found myself strangely loyal to Tioga after trying out most other brands.
    I have liked a few of their tyres - the Psycho II way back in the day, the Extreme XC and the Red Phoenix race tyre were good. Didn't much care for the Blue Dragon though.

For some reason, their tyres are not often seen in Australia anymore and they get next to no OEM spec on bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sweet!

So, do you actually ride 2.3/2.3 on your Mojo SL?

I have used once the Nevegal 2.35 in the back, and on hard fast cornering, it rubbed the seat stay a little (mounted on easton havens). As you said the PG 2.3 is bigger than the Nevegal 2.35, I am afraid it will not fit...

Cheers,