Cheesiest

Tioga DH 2.3 v. Nokian Gazza 2.3

Has anyone tried comparing these tires? I have a Tioga on the front of my Bullit and I like it, but I have a soft spot for Nokians. I'm also interested if the Nokian's are similar in actual size.

No, that's not phonetic
    I also like Nokians a lot, but have not run the Gazza specifically. I have million miles on Core and Dual 2.3's and almost all the studded tires Nokian makes. I also have ridden the Tioga DH 2.3's quite a bit, but in different conditions.

The Tiogas I use on Utah road trips. The compound is slightly softer than the Nokian rubber but the knobs don't fold over, squirm, rip off on slickrock the way the Nokians would. I like the Nokians at home in Alaska for mud, soft soil, grass, gravel, general cruising. The Tiogas are excellent desert tires: broken rock, slickrock, sand, dust. The 2.3 Tioga casing is noticeably wider in the casing larger volume than Nokian tires rated 2.3. I've ridden both the F and R Factory DHs in both wire and folding. It's all good. I am thinking about picking up some more from Pricepoint ($20 each) for a Utah trip this fall. Stout sidewall and great tire overall. I save the Nokians for home.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Cheesiest
    Tscheezy-

Thanks for the reply. I thought that the Tiogas were wider, but I wasn't sure. I'm in Montana, so we get a mix of the conditions you are talking about. I like the thick sidewall of the Tiogas. I may try a pair of Nokian's in the future, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways
    Tscheezy-

Thanks for the reply. I thought that the Tiogas were wider, but I wasn't sure. I'm in Montana, so we get a mix of the conditions you are talking about. I like the thick sidewall of the Tiogas. I may try a pair of Nokian's in the future, though.
    The Gazzas come in a heavier version too, I think it's called "gumwall", 2-ply sidewalls vs 3-ply for the DH version.